5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Read
Published on 20 July 2009 by KM Cook Book Queen

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh no
So, for a chef moving to Paris it would sound like a match made in heaven. But, with this book it doesn't. Whilst the stories touch on being interesting, there is no real depth and this could be forgiven. My biggest issue are the recipes. They range from being a little complex to being simplified to the point of idiocy. Cut a large tortilla into triangles. Brush these...
Published on 23 Aug 2011 by Gee Em

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Read, 20 July 2009
This is a bit different from David's previous books (of which I have all), in that it's done in short stories followed by recipes. I love Paris and wouldn't have been without this one, David's observations on his life as both an American and Pastry Chef in Paris had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion. Some of it I totally associated with, as Paris is one of my very favourite cities; but the bits I didn't were still a very fabulous read. This is the perfect holiday reading book for a food lover, but it's also much more - there are still plenty of recipes to keep this book current long after it's initial reading - I've marked a good number to try, sweet and savoury alike. The dulce de leche brownies are really awesome and thoroughly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the essence of Paris, 17 Oct 2010
Simon Tavener - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
For anyone interested in food, this is a great read. It really does capture the glories and horrors of one of my favourite cities in the world with wit, humour, warmth and some great recipes too.

Lebovitz has joined the ranks of people like Nigel Slater and Elizabeth David as someone who can write about food with fluency as well as being an outstanding cook. All too often food writing can feel a bit prissy - this is anything but. It is evocative, rich, tangy and entertaining.

It does make me want to move to Paris - NOW.

I suspect I will be encouraging my foodie friends to get their own copies - and a few others as well. You just need to enjoy good writing to find this a little gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 7 Mar 2012
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious--And Perplexing--City (Paperback)
I stumbled across this book by accident and I'm so glad that I did! David Lebovitz is an American living in Paris and through him we learn the etiquette of eating in Paris as well as the best places to buy and eat. The structure of the book is also great, as an anecdote or short `article' is followed by a recipe. The recipes (even though I haven't actually tried to cook any) sound amazing and include staples as well as cakes and pastries that sound a little more unusual (I'd love to try the absinthe cake!)

Always good humoured and covering an array of topics as diverse as his time spent with the Parisian fishmongers to the correct way to eat fruit or order coffee; this is a marvellous little book and seems like the equivalent of having a friend in the city to show you all the places a tourist might miss.

Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sweet Life in Paris, 9 April 2012
Wow what a book ! Very funny, laughed out loud many times. Great recipes a bonus too. If you love Paris and love food, this is the book for you !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sweet Life in Paris, 5 Dec 2011
I stumbled onto this book by browsing new cookbooks and picked out a book on chocolate and another one on ice cream by David Lebovitz and decided to find more books to read. He is a very entertaining writer and I have become a dedicated fan to his blog---the only one I read! I loved this book so much (as being American myself, I could relate at times) that I ordered it for 3 girlfriends who love Paris.
I would definitely read this for insight and tips on places to go and by all means, pick up the rest of his great books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you David Lebovitz for being so.. David Lebovitz!, 15 May 2009
The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious, and Perplexing, City
I became David-Lebovitz-addicted, when I made my first bunch of ice cream as soon as "The Perfect Scoop" reached my hands. Not only did he save my Ice Cream maker from all the dust that would have accumulated on it since 2006 that I bought it, but he also gave me lots of culinary inspiration through his blog. I had pre-ordered "The Sweet Life In Paris" and when -at last- I held it on my hands and opened it, I had a brief disappointment. Where were the fantastic photos that I expected it to have? But as I went though the pages and started reading, my first impression vanished and I soon realized it would be a hard mission to put it down: his humour is hilarious, his writing is distinctive, his recipes are -like always- just perfect (I have already made the absolute Espresso-Caramel Ice Cream and my mouth is watering on the thought of Bacon and Blue Cheese Cake that I'm making tomorrow ) and the book-style that at first disappointed me, now seems to match with the whole book, as the pages look hand-cut and the smell of the book (yes, I DO smell my books) is like one of a book you would buy from an old bookstore near the Seine.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoy!!, 20 Jun 2010
If you enjoy food and paris then this is the book for you.Haveing been to paris for the first time sept 09 i was amazed at the food shops and wanted to learn more about the way to make this beautiful food at home. Sweet life does that.also the book gives a interesting look at life as lived by a non parisan. All in all a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good reading, 8 Nov 2013
M. Steinmann "Girl" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
enjoyed the book and appreciated the recipes included. cannot think of of anything more to say except that it brought back memories of paris.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treat on every page, 12 Jan 2013
I discovered David Leibovitz via the shifting light web site. Julian had painted a potimerron and included a link to a recipe on David's website. As I was about to go to Paris for a few days this book interested me, I wasn't disappointed, a joyous read with tips on great foodie places to visit (Angelina's being a big hit). Recommended for anyone who loves Paris, as I do, David's blog is great too with delicious recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 1 Nov 2012
A lovely book full of wonderful anecdotes and delicious recipes. It really transports you to Paris and perfectly captures the very distinctive Parisienne character. If you like 'foodie' books I can thoroughly recommend this one. Bon appetit!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›