5.0 out of 5 stars It engaged me, 2 Aug 2013
I liked this book. Much more engaging than Care of the Soul. Whether he meant to or not, the author summed up the whole message of the book in three criteria - ie. work needs to be meaningful, ethical and carried out ethically. However I liked the person who was speaking to me through the book, and the anecdotes from therapy held my attention. An original thinker, whose take on one of the parables switched my mind around. I totally get what he is trying to say about bringing the "kingdom of God" into the workplace. It has made me think deeply and is now one of my favourite books - the sort I will dip into again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 12 Jan 2010
whitecliffbeck (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
I love this book, it puts my questions into perspective about my life and work. Thomas Moore writes in such a warm, accepting way about life, and how our work life is such an important part of our whole life. I've already given this book to several friends who are also searching for ways to make what they really love doing a part of their work life. And how to find out what they really love doing!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Thomas Moore's books !, 2 Nov 2013
Tom Moore has a 'song to sing' and it is something about allowing your soul to have life and breath - to grow, deepen and be enriched by whatever comes your way on the journey of life. He is a master guide who writes with love and compassion for his readers and an integrity and honesty about himself. In our family, we all say he is 'permission-giving'. I have had this book for a while now, but recently rebought it for my daughter(another fan !) who has reached a stage in life where she is making major new starts and struggling to work out what direction she wants to take, jobs to apply for etc. She found Moore's approach so helpful for regaining perspective and giving herself space to reflect on what matters to her - what is her life 'opus' as he calls it. He is able to bring his unique slant to an area of life that can often get left out of the spiritual arena and breathe new life into our understanding of what we mean by 'work'.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book inspired me to set up my own business, 27 Oct 2014
This is a great book for anyone who wants to think more deeply about their work and purpose in life. I had read Care for the Soul and Dark Night of the Soul before reading this book and found it insightful. In fact I liked the book's approach to careers and work so much that it inspired me to set up a business called A Life at Work which offers residential career retreats which have been influenced by the book. For some people for spiritual aspects may not appeal if they are looking for something practical, but there are lots of those sorts of books out there. This definitely offers a different perspective and one that needs time to reflect on.

A Life at Work: The Joy of Discovering What You Were Born to Do
A Life at Work: The Joy of Discovering What You Were Born to Do by Thomas Moore (Hardcover - 26 Feb 2008)
Used & New from: £0.37