4.0 out of 5 stars Sound advice, 15 Nov 2009
Mariusz Skonieczny "Author" (classicvalueinvestors com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smart Couples Finish Rich (Paperback)
Money is one of the main sources of conflict among couples. The author of this book provides solid advice for couples about their money. He lists some myths about couples and money:

* Myth No. 1: If we love each other, we won't fight about money.
* Myth No. 2: It takes money to make money.
* Myth No. 3: We don't make enough yet to be investors.
* Myth No. 4: Taxes and inflation are under control.
* Myth No. 5: If we don't talk about money, everything will work out okay.

The author argues that almost everyone in America makes enough money to be wealthy. He says, "The problem isn't our income; it's what we spend." This statement is so true. It seems to me that too many people are concerned with having a bigger house, nicer car, or bigger TV. The more money people make, the more they spend. This is not a recipe for wealth.

- Mariusz Skonieczny, author of Why Are We So Clueless about the Stock Market? Learn how to invest your money, how to pick stocks, and how to make money in the stock market

5.0 out of 5 stars Combine Your Efforts and Cash In, 8 Aug 2008
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Maxed-out credit cards. Depleted savings. Underfunded retirement accounts. Millions of couples struggle with common financial issues, but instead of looking for solutions, they perpetuate harmful behaviors by bickering, blaming and, in many cases, divorcing. David Bach, author of the best-selling Smart Women Finish Rich, says you'll never solve your money problems if you view your partner as the enemy. It's not all your fault, though. Typically, people do not discuss money openly, so individuals may know very little about their spouse's financial priorities, philosophy and history. Establishing and maintaining an open line of communication is pivotal to sensible financial planning as a couple. You don't have to agree on everything. You don't even have to change. You just have to work together. Bach shows couples how to get on the same page. Using clear (in fact, somewhat simplified) formulas and charts, he tells them how to handle saving, spending, investing and retiring. getAbstract thinks that Bach's conservative approach makes sense. So does his emphasis on making your relationship - not money - your number one priority. Whether or not you finish rich, at least you'll be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had my partner crying in a fetal position by Chapter 3!, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Smart Couples Finish Rich (Paperback)
Reading this book is the most valuable entertainment I've had in years! A must for any committed couple, especially in their thirties.

It can be used to spark great conversations. I'd recommend reading a bit each night and seeing where the topics take you. Skip his example couples if you get bored.

Money well spend seeing as how you can currently buy a used one for a penny....

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good solid tips around preparing for the future financially and for getting the most our of life, 11 Feb 2010
J. Lemon "Singstar Jim" (London) - See all my reviews
A great easy read which takes you from long term goal setting through how to realistically set some money aside for th the future. Really engaging and will hopefully encourage changing any bad habits - i'd definitely recommend a read.

For UK readers - a large part of the middle of the book is very US centric on various tax efficient savings and on healthcare, but the rest of the book is still relevant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Famous late factor, 1 May 2013
I have listened the CDs with wife.

It was useful to see our attitudes to money. I save and she spends. After listening she agrees with me more now when I say we need to invest that money first. So for our financial and other relationships it was a great investment.

The thing is in America the return on pension funds is much-much higher than in The UK. So I am not sure that we all need to maximise on our private pension contributions.

Worth a listening with your partner though to sinc yourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars very clear and easily understand, 10 Jun 2008
Farah Shahrin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smart Couples Finish Rich (Paperback)
the books show you how to deal and manage our money so that you can increase your saving. So, this books is all about keeping and saving money in a way that you can actually do.

Smart Couples Finish Rich
Smart Couples Finish Rich by David Bach (Paperback - 1 Jan 1920)