5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Book.
Published on 29 July 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Too technical for me.....
whilst looking for a good simple book on improving my swing I bought this, i tried and tried to get into it but found nothing useful or informative that wasn't over technical and so quickly sold it on as it had nothing I could gain from it, it's over complicated and I was an 8 handicap when reading it.....
Published 21 months ago by Baz Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Book., 29 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Swing Like a Pro: The Breakthrough Scientific Method of Perfecting Your Golf Swing (Hardcover)
Swing like a Pro is an excellent read and a technical swing reference! I'm glad someone used biomechnics to finally unlock the perfect swing. Unfortunately, to swing like a pro, I agree with the authors that you may have to spend six or more hours a week working on the chapter's drills with your clubs, a practice golf shaft and metronome. For professionals like myself, I don't have that kind of time to build a game. In addition to the practice shaft and metronome, I recommend a net and practice mat to work on the drills. You'll go broke if you try the drills at a golf range.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional guide to the full swing., 13 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
I highly recommend this book. It truly helped my golf swing - a lot. The golf swing is subtle and difficult--many movements in many directions at once. Most students attempting to adopt the explainations of their teachers, books, magazines, or videos exaggerate those swing elements they are working on. This leads to even more problems. Swing Like a Pro distills the swing to a few essential elements, then guides you in their execution. Most importantly, they illustrate the exaggerations you are likely to make to prevent them from creeping into your swing. They also address most common myths about the swing and debunk most casual advice you are likely to receive (usually unsolicited). I have video tapes of private lessons with my PGA Professional where he clearly identifies my biggest problem (over the top move) but can offer no direct solution. Swing Like a Pro gave me solutions I can understand and use.
Dan (a 12 soon to be a 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars exceptional, 23 Oct. 2004
By A Customer
It pains me to write this review, as i don't really like to give away secrets, but here goes. I have a libray of at least 20 of the so called "best" golf books at home. From Leadbetter to Flick, Toski, Penick, Smith, etc. I have tried most training aids. But lets face it, none of us get any better year on year. Once we reach a certain standard of ball striking our tequnique checks our improvement. In my opinion this may be the only book that will allow you to break through to a higher level of ball striking. The chapter on the setup alone is incredible. I recommend this book over all others. Good luck

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a book on the golf swing that answers my questions!, 26 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
If I had to recommend one book on the golf swing, this would be it hands down. I've read most of what's out there, and this is the first one that explains the mechanics of the transition and downswing in a manner that is both detailed and understandable (I can't agree with Amazon's reviewer who calls this "technically complex" and "dry"--and I'm a high handicapper who has only been playing for a few years). In fact, the crowning achievement of the book is that it takes somewhat technical material on the golf swing, from start to finish, and makes it easy to understand. The illustrations and drills are excellent, also. I have also purchased the CD-Rom, which can be found on Compusport's website, and it is an excellent product as well, featuring many informative animations. I could have saved a lot of money on golf books if this one had come out earlier. If you are seriously interested in understanding and improving your swing, you won't find a better place to start than here! By the way, the first couple of reviews posted at this site give excellent descriptions of the book--I won't attempt to improve on them (be sure and read them at the bottom of the list of reviews).

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is as good as they say., 24 Oct. 2005
I've had this book for ages now, and have recently gone back to reading it and practicing what it says after a inconsistent year of golf. As soon as you read it you know everything it says makes sense, and if you use the thoughts and drills you can see a marked improvement in every aspect of your game. I found it very dificult to transfer the swing to the course though, but once I realised what I was doing differently to my practice sessions it just got better and better.
Buy it, read it, read it again, and then practice what it tells you to do and you will improve massively. I think you can definately tell how good a golfer is from his swing, and if you can swing the club like it explains then you're going to be a scratch golfer. Unfortunately if you're like me then you'll master it at the range and then think it's done, but we all know that isn't golf! When it clicked for me on the course there wasn't a golfer in the land that could hit the shots any better, unfortunately it's having the mental strength to persist and confidence to swing freely that needs work now. But with this book I'm sure it will happen.
Buy it, and don't tell your golfing buddies about it either ;o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an objective golf instruction book, 4 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
Golfers have waited hundreds of years for an instruction book which utilizes science in undestanding the golf swing. Every other golf instruction book is strictly a function of subjective swing theories: supination, swing in a barrel, connection, swing your arms, ad nauseum. What this book does it tell you where the club and your body should be in an ideal swing. The "Pro" in "Swing Like a Pro" is a consensus 3-D model formulated from 70 of the best golfers in the world - and it shows the ideal golf swing as composed from these great golfers. This is not an artist's rendering of where they think the body or club should be; rather, it is an actual computer model of this consensus "Pro" and therefore proves scientifically, not in a subjective theory, the correct golf swing. This book debunks all the "theory" of where/why/how one should swing the golf club. Best and most informative instruction book ever written - congrats to Fred and Ralph.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good...*almost* great!, 3 Jan. 2006
A. Robinson "adamdrobinson" (Bolton) - See all my reviews
First thing to bear in mind, I would not say this is a beginner's book....not an absolute beginner's book, at least. However, it does not try to do this, which is where it gets it's first plus point in my opinion. Too many so-called golfing manuals try to cover the whole of the golf swing, from beginning to end, in the belief that any beginner will pick up everything they need to know from there. Given the number of books on the market, this clearly doesnt work as it is always too subjective.
This book differs vastly in the sense that it works on scientific models, gained from painstaking analysis of a wide range of pro-golfers, then presents these scientific facts in the form of disection, analysis, figures and drills. It's more a book for the struggling mid-handicapper who is constantly frustrated by attempts to improve his or her handicap by buying book after book or video after video, and finding they all present differing views and opinions on every aspect of the game.
For me, it helped a little, but it only really teases at providing the information we need to understand from their analysis in simple layman's terms...that's my only criticism...every so often I was dying for them to just spell out in simple terms a particular movement or motion.
If you're after a book that will tell you to 'pull back this way, hinge wrists here, swing club on this path' then you might be disappointed...it's more complex than that, and requires a couple of reads to get your head round the masses of scientific and statistical analyses on offer.
4 stars for me...nearly 5, but not quite!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best golf swing book I've read, 23 Jan. 2004
DAVID (Bristol, Avon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have played golf for a few years and had lessons from several different pros. Although my game was basically OK I always felt that it was hard to find someone who could provide a definitive set of actions and drills that would allow me to build a consistent and technically sound golf swing. I read magazines but often felt that there was too much contradictory information around, with even fundamental ideas changing as trends changed.
This book is excellent because it is not based on opinion, but rather on scientific research. The books demonstrates why it recommends a certain course of action using clear pictures and simple text and provides excellent drills. I found many of the ideas in the book going against what some pros had told me and certainly what many magazines say but having used the drills for a couple of months now I can safely say that they work. My handicap has dropped 5 shots (19 to 14) and I can consistently hit the ball straight. When the ball does not go straight I am now able to easily feel where the swing went wrong and correct it for the next shot.
Many of the drills take a lot of practice, but we all know that to improve in this game you have to practice anyway. I am just gald to know that I can now practice things that will help my game, rather than just ingrain old habits.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last word in full swing Mechanics?..check., 21 Feb. 2008
Just finished reading this book. I simply cannot sing it's praises more highly nor express greater platitudes than already offered by others. Perhaps the most honest thing I can say is that it will be the last book on the subject of full swing mechanics that I buy. There just isn't a need to have it explained further.Quite simply-job done.
If these guys ever get around to writing a companion volume on short game I want an advanced copy!

I was guided to this book by it's excellent reviews and I hope to now have the pleasure of passing such a favour on by adding my own humble recommendation.
My compliments to the authors for their clarity, logic and dilligence in bringing this tome to market. First class.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE book on swing mechanics, 23 Jun. 2004
In recent months I have made a big effort to improve my game through practise and lessons. Reading more about the swing has been part of that process, and as a result I have accumulated quite a library of 'how to build a swing' type books. Without a shadow of a doubt, this is THE book you need to understand how the golf swing works.
The description of the transition and downswing path in this book is nothing short of inspired, and blows away the myths about that 'mysterious' part of the swing. Proof of the pudding - I received the book yesterday, and put just one of the points (club falls away in transition) in the book into practise last night (okay I know it is a short cut, but I couldn't resist it). Oh my goodness. So that is what it is supposed to feel like! Just can't wait to work more on my swing with the aid of this book.
This is not the prettiest, chattiest book on the golf swing you can buy. And it does not pretend that building a 'pro' golf swing is easy. But if you are analytically minded, and want to know how a golf swing really works, this is the book for you.

Used & New from: £2.04