on 26 October 2007
Kevin and Jackie Freiberg began studying Southwest Airlines when Kevin was a doctoral student. This lively, funny and, at times, moving book is full of information about the origins of Southwest Airlines, what makes it unique and how it fights hard to keep its family-based culture, despite having more than 33,000 employees. Wonderful stories told by employees, letters from customers and comments from other business leaders demonstrate the principles that the authors discuss. The book is divided into four sections, with the last looking at leadership in general and as practiced at Southwest. This book was originally published in 1996, but every word of it is perfectly applicable today. Southwest Airlines is still making a profit and growing where other airlines are losing money by the planeload. We recommend this entertaining account of how to
operate a service-oriented company in a cutthroat industry.
on 4 October 2011
This book was loaned to me by one of my former manager whom I regard as a true leader.
Having read this amazing storytelling of customer driven business supported by such a strong team spirit, I wonder why it took me more than a year before reading it!
Everytime I hold this book in my hand, I silently say thank-you to my former manager. This is the best book on business initiative. It is a MUST read especially if you are in the same line of business-Commercial Airline.
There is so much to learn here and it will be shameful not to be able to implement at least some of the skills/tools featured here. I bought it when I finished to read it. Thank-you Philippe!
Nuts!: Southwest Airline's Crazy Recipe for Business and Personal Success
on 22 February 2010
I have two copies of this book - one for me and one to lend out as it is in great demand. I love it - it is fresh, well observed and funny. It's a bit American in style but none the less, a good read and a fresh view of management and how businesses can be run - sucessfully.

Highly recommended.
on 8 August 2011
Absolutely fabulous and mind boggling on how simple things are at Southwest. I work with an airline too and find Southwest approach to things is very simple and direct. Great reading. Highly recommended.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2014
Proves that success in business comes from counterintuitive thinking - being different, breaking the mould.

And engaging all of the staff in the vision for the business
on 8 March 2011
This book was a great inspiration for me as a pilot and as a business man!
Really appreciated and recommend to anyone willing to bet in non tradicional business form !
on 18 December 2015
Will read over my next holiday. Did take a while to come!
When I read profiles of companies, I usually find that I barely recognize the company I know. Nuts! is different. It actually captures a lot of the inside perspective of Southwest Airlines, in a way that is hard to do in a business book.
I have been flying on Southwest for over 30 years, and have been fascinated by the company's business model for the entire time. So I have made it a point to fly the airline and to learn as much as possible about the people over the years. I have also had the benefit of having had a professional relationship with the firm in the past.
I was immediately impressed when the first 50 pages contained a large number of stories that long-time Southwest employees had told me over the years.
My good impression grew as important new details were added to my knowledge. Perhaps most important was the description of how the authors got access to Herb Kelleher and the company in order to be able to write the book.
If authenticity is the book's main strength, then its main weakness is repetition. The Freibergs have sliced and diced the lessons a bit too finely for my taste. Rather than portraying the key elements of the Southwest story and exemplifying these points with lots of examples, Nuts! takes the same examples and reuses them over ... and ... over ... and ... over to make different points.
A way to have improved this book would have been to have compared Southwest to other outstanding companies. The authors tended to limit their comparisons to other airlines (a group of usually not-very-well-run companies). That would have made the unique elements of Southwest clearer.
If you have ever flown Southwest, you know that the company's culture is pretty unusual. The cultural story comes across loud and clear. One of the strengths of the book is that the reasons for starting and maintaining the culture are well explained. Most cultures are pretty hard to understand from the outside. This one can be appreciated from that perspective.
Finally, I really liked the way the book explained how scenario thinking (around 'what if?' questions) has helped Southwest. This is a solid addition to the business literature.
The book is conveniently divided into several different parts that emphasize various perspectives. The beginning tells the history of how the culture was born (in adversity, as most strong cultures are). The second part describes some key principles of the company's vision and culture. The third part describes how the culture is maintained and encouraged (particularly as the company grows). The final section takes a more leadership oriented perspective. You can focus your attention on any of these points of view, and learn something valuable.
Unless you don't like people, you'll like Nuts! You'd be nuts not to. Have a great time learning more about the masters of overcoming stalled thinking in an industry where stalls are dangerous!