on 27 November 1998
The reason I bought this book in the first place was because of the title and I was planning to give it as a gift. Instead, I found myself reading it, wanting to highlight certain passages, write in the margins & put sticky notes all over the place! Curott's openness and honesty about her search for self was so refreshing. Finally a woman who asks questions, studies, experiences, studies more! She asks whether she loves The Goddess or is ready...her hesitancy and reluctance to jump right in makes everything much more important. The basic education that a beginner can receive from this book is impressive. I have recently highly recommended "A Book of Shadows" to men and women friends even though there is a so-called "feminist slant" (which doesn't detract from the informative nature of the book at all). As a teacher of The Mysteries, I feel that its important to increase our knowledge via the viewpoints of diverse practitioners, thereby giving us a broad background and basis from which to work. I have only one thing to say to Phyllis Curott: "You go,Girl!"
on 25 February 2015
a real page turner .. i found the back story of the day job as compelling as the journey of sisterhood
on 8 January 2015
Was bought for someone else. They was delighted with it, so thanks.
on 14 February 2012
I have only just started reading and after the first few pages which i must admit were a little tiersome i gave it a chance and have now gotton into it. It began with her own learning of witchcraft centuries ago which I would imagine most people who are interested in the subject would already know about, so I tended to skip that bit and get to the actual story, so now i am at the point where things are starting to happen and i am glad i perservered with it. Hopefully i wont be disappointed.

I am usually very satisfied with my purchases from amazon. But would like to comment on a purchase i made some time ago i ordered knots landing dvd first season when it arrived it wouldnt play it was the wrong region but it did not state that on the site. so maybe in future this needs addressing

thanks
mandi
on 1 September 2014
great story of a women way into the craft, some lovely writing
on 19 April 1999
I have just read Phyllis Curott's book and I found it really stimulating. It is clearly written from the heart and the author's own genuine experience, which is great to read. AND much of it hits home and reinforced my understanding of Wicca as well as being a good fun read. Although the book is written with a feminist viewpoint and I am male I found it really helped me understand this aspect of things. Furthermore, Ms Curott addresses these issues in a tactful, understanding way. I would recommend it to anyone wishing to find out what Wicca can be and is for many. THis book says Wicca is a LIVING religion and is certainly here in revitalised, energetic form!
on 13 November 1999
This is a well-written book which details the journey of a professional American woman (in her final year at law school when she began) into the world of magick and spirituality. What I liked best is that the author expresses her doubts as well as her certainties as she enters a completely new lifestyle. Although I was a little disappointed in that I was looking for a how-to book (and this book definitely isn't that), the author gets full points for encouraging beginners to believe in themselves and continue learning.
on 24 April 1999
A riveting but subjective look at how Wicca changed the life of one person, and the practical rewards the chosen pathway can bring. Phyllis Currot(Aradia) gives us a sense of the inner majesty and power of this ancient way of life, and also of the temptations that can try to block our way. For objective information on Wicca and how to practise, this is not the book to buy. But if yoiu wish to be inspired by what Wicca can do for you - read this. I dare you to put it down for more than one day.
on 5 November 1998
this book brought me closer to Goddess. it's beautifully written, with a beautiful message. it was truly an inspiring read of the religion behind the 'spells' and 'rituals'. the Wiccan society needs more books like this, sans the 'high magick'. it gives wonderful insight into living life with Goddess, professional and private. thank you, Phyllis.
on 23 April 2000
I too was looking for a 'how-to' book when I came across the book of shadows. It truly is an inspirational, beautifully written, influencial story that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone, even non-wiccans. It really helped me make some big decisions at a time I needed help.