5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and comprehensive
Although it focuses on meatless cookery, this impressive volume belongs in the kitchens of vegetarians and nonvegetarians alike. It is packed with practical information and clearly written, appealing recipes for simple everyday meals as well as for entertaining. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced cook, "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" is bound to...
Published on 11 Sep 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - not for busy families
I bought this book due to the great reviews and am very disappointed. I'm not a vegetarian but like vegetarian food and have a lot of veggie family & friends. Firstly the recipes use American weights/measure, which are not impossible to translate, but is rather irritating. Secondly, many of the ingredients are not easily available except in specialist shops in Europe,...
Published on 1 Sep 2009 by Louisa

5.0 out of 5 stars joy of vegetarian cooking, 1 July 1999
This review is from: Vegetarian Cooking (Hardcover)
This has become my culinary encyclopedia. I find myself referencing the text daily when preparing a meal. The vegetable/fruit information is very thorough - providing herbs & spices that combine well. It's also a dictionary of procedures & techniques, giving valuable information on anything from cooking rice to making crepes. Many of the recipes are fairly simple to prepare but surprisingly delicious. Recipes start from the very rudimentary, which makes it a primer for people who don't know much about cooking or food; but the information remains timeless and valuable to cooks of all levels. As a vegetarian, it has displaced Joy of Cooking as the number one guide in the kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 19 Oct 2009
I definitely recommend this book not just to vegetarians (actually, I'm not veg my self!). I tried some of the recipes and they are all very very good and simple, too!
The author tells us all about tools and techniques and cooking methods (and I mean "all": the book is a robust volume of 752 pages!), with a quick and clear page of reference at the beginning and at the end of the book and an excellent index.
I found this book very inspiring and I refer to it every time I need not just a recipe, but a inspiration for a ingredient or a menu... or before shopping for vegetables.
But, beware, the author absolutely love chili (she lives in New Mexico!)and a lot of her recipes tell us of this love! Well, I haven't a "hot tooth", so I simply skip the "chili" part of the recipe (or drop off the quantity of spice)...

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone who loves to cook should have this book,, 17 Feb 1998
This review is from: Vegetarian Cooking (Hardcover)
and everyone who loves to eat should live with someone else who has this book! I can't add much to the above (below?) reviews because they are thoughtful, insightful, and well-written; however, what I can say is it's too bad this book isn't "Vegetable" Cooking for Everyone instead of "Vegetarian" because I'm afraid non-vegetarian cooks will avoid it. My advice to them is don't ignore it, buy this book immediately and start using it to the exclusion of everything else in your kitchen for awhile. You will be well-rewarded and so will everyone for whom you cook. I have two homes in which I cook, and although I like a lot of cookbooks, some are "two-copy" cookbooks - I have to have it in both places. This book qualifies. Enjoy it and thanks, Deborah, for such a fabulous work.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cooking Wish Come True, 15 Aug 1998
This review is from: Vegetarian Cooking (Hardcover)
Days before I happened upon this hefty tome in the store, I was complaining to a fellow vegetarian that I needed a cookbook that was organized by primary ingredient. My friend and I belong to the Good Earth Community Sponsored Agriculture farm (CSA) and had begun to get a dazzling, and sometimes puzzling, variety of vegetables each week. What, I wondered, should I DO with Swiss chard? What shall I make with the abundance of cabbage we received? What goes well with (lots of) carrots? Deborah Madison's latest book, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, answers those questions and many, many more. In addition to being full of practical information on choosing and preparing vegetables, the recipes are organized by dish in some cases, by ingredient in others. Where else would one find a section titled "Chicories?" Well-written and full of apparently well-tested recipes, this cookbook became an instant favorite on a bookshelf with upwards of 100 (nearly all) vegetarian cookbooks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book in my collection, 9 May 2011
I couldn't be happier with this book. I put off buying it for a long time - after all, just how many all-round vegetarian cookbooks does one person need? But after reading many glowing reviews I finally bought it. Now I wonder how I got by all these years without it! I use this book many times a week. I get a veggie box delivery and this book is my bible for figuring out what to do with all these veggies. Everything I have tried has been delicious. I've even learned how to bake bread! If I could only have one cookbook (heaven forbid!), it would have to be this one. This book is filled with recipes for down to earth, simple, good food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive!, 21 Feb 2011
L. Perkinson "Book Lover" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have Deborah Madison's The Greens Cookbook which I have used extensively over the years. This book is even more comprehensive and excellent for not only main vegetarian meals but also providing so many ways to make accompanying vegetable side dishes, sauces, salsa, chutneys etc.

The only complaint would be the American measurements which require a little thought - I now know that a quart is two pints!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegetables Aren't Just for Vegetarians Anymore, 2 Sep 1998
This review is from: Vegetarian Cooking (Hardcover)
Deborah Madison's latest book represents nothing short of a culinary masterpiece. For too long, fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes have been treated as gastronomical afterthoughts - "accompaniments" suggested at the end of a recipe or a mere ingredient to be added to some larger dish. Ironically, many vegetarian cookbooks have actually contributed to this phenomenon. In a well-intentioned - but not always well-executed attempt to get people to eat less or no meat, many vegetarian cookbooks have subordinated vegetables to the function of "meat substitute." This is unfortunate because when prepared well and creatively (and without any Textured Vegetable Protein) vegetables, grains and legumes can be as memorable as the main dish ... especially when they are the main dish.
No single cookbook has ever demonstrated this philosophy better than "Vegetarian for Everyone." As a moderate meat-eater who thinks the new Inverted Pyramid diet guidelines are the best thing that ever happened to American cuisine, I'm convinced "Vegetarian for Everyone" is destined to become our generation's "The Joy of Cooking." It reflects a deep respect for the simplicity of well-prepared foods and provides undeniable proof of Ms. Madison's profound talents as a chef.
It's also a lot of fun to read. The title of the book, however, is something of a misnomer. "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" really isn't a "vegetarian" cookbook. Vegetarian cookbooks are preoccupied with tofu, TVP and grain-mixtures that are supposed to stand-in for everything from fois gras to hot dogs. There is no substituting for fois gras, and Ms. Madison realizes this. Instead of yet another take on the Garden Burger, we're given Smoked Black Bean Dip with homemade New Mexican flour tortillas and fresh pico de gallo; Sautéed Matchsticks of Zucchini in Garlic Yogurt Sauce; Roasted Red Pepper sauce that begs to be ladled over stuffed mushrooms; and yes, even homemade mayonnaise (tofu or egg-based, take your pick.) Ms. Madison does offer her take on some vegan standards - including a grain burger, I believe - but these types of recipes do not constitute the bulk of the book.
The book itself is extremely well-organized, with natural divisions between the foods discussed. A tremendous amount of information on vegetables, grains and legumes is there for the taking - making "Vegetarian for Everyone" as much of a reference book as a cookbook. The margin notes that she provides with each recipe offer a wealth of insight into serving suggestions, as well as anecdotes and tips from her professional and pre-professional years in the kitchen.
One of the most valuable aspects of this book is the extensive treatment given to sauces, condiments and salad dressings. By using these recipes alone, you can add new dimensions to just about any food you prepare - meats and vegetables alike.
Buy the book, prepare the recipes, and enjoy. This cookbook will be covered with stains before you know it. And many thanks to Deborah, who I understand spent more than five years on this book - you've created nothing short of a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Vegetarian Cookbook (so far), 15 Dec 1997
This review is from: Vegetarian Cooking (Hardcover)
BUY THIS BOOK. IT'S DEFINITIVE. Mrs. Patrick MacFarlin (Deborah) seems like she is interested in doing better what needs to be done and able to smile at her mistakes; she feels detailed, not fatuous; thoughtful, without being patronizing; genuine, instead of slightly affected; and serious, rather than pretentious, unlike this sentence. Deborah Madison is a super-taster with wide-ranging knowledge (1,400 recipes AND MORE variations) and an easy reading style, with both refined discrimination and practicality. You can infer Deborah's tongue has at least 426 taste buds per square centimeter. Examples of what Ms. Madison calls "complicated": home-made 3-cheese (ricotta, Gorgonzola, and Parmesan) ravioli in tomato-cream sauce; "rich": sizzling risotto gratin (risotto with Fontina cheese and cream, baked and browned in the oven); "costly": wild mushroom galette [with boletes (cepes, porcini), chantrelles, morels and fresh truffles]. "Simple" might be jazzing up good olives for at least an hour with toasted cumin seeds, garlic, paprika, red pepper flakes, good olive oil and lemon juice. You can get an idea of her easy reading style, refined discrimination, and practicality from the following quotes: "...joy in cooking, born of the pleasure of using our senses---rustling our fingers through a bunch of herbs, listening to the sizzle of onions, watching the colors brighten while vegetables cook, inhaling the fragrance of olive oil the moment it hits the pasta. "...something impressive in the middle of the plate...it's precisely this effort that produces a dish that has focus, clarity, and enough interest that the diner's eye isn't restlessly seeking something to be "it." "serial eating...(many) people like a meal that consists of a succession of small dishes. There is neither focus nor climax, but it manages to work." "Lighter eating...we've become happier with less....Taking care with setting the table and presenting the food can often balance its simplicity, so that a simple soup, salad, cheese plate, and dessert can be as satisfying...as something more elaborate." "Accompaniments round out...by complementing...taste or texture; they extend time at the table so you're dining instead of just fueling; and they offer a progression of textures and flavors." "... for a classic meal....Changing the levels of intensity: First courses and appetizers are small but rich or intense so that a few small bites both ease our hunger and stimulate our interest. The next course needs to drop a little in intensity and be a little larger....it provides some spacing, like a comma or a dash....Then we need to go on to something heartier but not so rich that you can't comfortably eat a portion. A salad might follow, providing a cleansing freshness and lull before the final sweet note of dessert." "If you're eating a succession of small dishes, maybe everything is at the appetizer level of intensity, but the portions are small and varied." "Avoiding repetition: if it's an important dinner, be sure and look at the entire meal before starting....if you've chosen onion salad, onion soup, and onion gratin...plan to make a few changes...(or) If it's too late, you can always call such a meal an onion festival." "For everyday meals, you might keep these pointers somewhere in the back of your mind---they're not nearly as crucial as simply getting dinner on the table. For that we need strategies, leftovers, some fast foods, and some things we know how to do well that everyone likes." "...one way to approach the traditional holiday meal is just to make all those side dishes---they're usually more than ample and wonderfully varied...Generally, it's those candied yams, cranberries, and stuffings that people love best at Thanksgiving. Long gone, fortunately, are the days when vegetarians attempted to make turkey out of tofu. The other approach is to...honor these days by making foods that are special to you. These might include complicated dishes...from scratch; (and) foods that are richer than those we usually eat...; or foods that are costly.... Of course, the other things that make holidays special are the solemnity, sentimentality, or joy of the occasion, the people around us, the care with which we prepare our homes and tables, and what's in our hearts. In my experience, the food ends up being important, but often not quite as important as we imagined it would be."

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is truly outstanding!, 3 Aug 1998
This review is from: Vegetarian Cooking (Hardcover)
I collect cookbooks; most of the books in my kitchen feature vegetarian cooking. Therefore, I can't tell you how surprised I was to discover that Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone has added an entirely new dimension to my cooking. First of all, the book makes thorougly enjoyable reading material. In the months since I've purchased this book, I've found myself cooking from its pages virtually every day... and the most pleasing thing is that I'm cooking from the book, not BY the book. The recipes are both inspired and inspiring, from the grilled cheese and strawberry jam on rye (now a staple light supper for me) to vegetable gratins to simple but classy appetizers (my friends now take it for granted that they will be treated to oven-baked olives and crostini when they come to visit), this book has helped me become a confident and casual vegetarian cook. I have given copies as gifts to every friend I know who enjoys cooking- vegetarian and non-vegetari! an alike- and they have been just as enthusiastic about it as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Easy-to-use and execute, 31 Dec 1998
This review is from: Vegetarian Cooking (Hardcover)
I found the book very easy-to-use and the recipes even easier to execute. In the past, most cookbooks I've used I've had to "fiddle with the ingredients " to get it to taste the way I wanted it, but the few recipes that I have made have been delicious from the start. I also love the vegetable section and I have been trying different vegetables that in the past I avoided because I didn't know how to prepare them.

Vegetarian Cooking
Vegetarian Cooking by Deborah Madison (Hardcover - 31 Dec 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01