Format: Hardcover|Change

on 8 August 2006
This beautiful volume is a must-have for anyone who loves Rumi, and a fantastic introduction for those who are new to the poetry. It is not a scholarly work, although the light commentary is nicely done. Rather, the work is a lovely mélange of Rumi's poems as translated by Coleman Barks, complemented by the stunning illustrations of Michael Green. It's experiential rather than academic. A tool, not a lecture.

The overall effect is hypnotic. Excellent as a prequel to meditation, it is more evocative than stimulating. Read the poem, let your eyes flow over the pictures, and be transported. If you know and have studied Rumi, all you have read and learned will wash over you in the process. If you are new to Rumi, you will realize wisdom you didn't know you had.

Understand, this transport is courtesy of the poetry. The illustrations provide a little pretty oil for the mesmeric skids. And just as Rumi transcends his Sufi origins to reach all faiths, so also do the illustrations contain aspects of all the organized (and unorganized) religions.

"Come, whoever you are! Wanderer, worshipper, lover of learning. This is not a caravan of despair. It doesn't matter if you've broken your vow a thousand times, still and yet again, come!"
on 14 June 1999
A must read for the soul's journey homeward to the Self I read this work slowly, savoring the moments and the illuminations as sparks of awakening to my own soul.
I was introduced to Rumi's writings in January 1999 and I feel as though I have come home to an understanding that I could not always put into words.
As a writer/journalist myself, I find that often the words escape me, yet they are right outside of my mind's grasp. The writings/translations of Rumi and the pictorials in this book have moved me deeper than most work, inspiring me in my own world of words as I re-member to whom Rumi writes with such passion.Then, it brings me renewed passion for my own work.
I recently married a couple and used this book as part of the service. As a wedding present, I gifted the couple with this book. What a beautiful way for them to start their lives. I highly recommend this as a gift for others and for special occasions where you want to give a fine work both in art and literature.
On Mother's Day I shared this work with my oldest Son, age 26, who was also moved and he asked me to order this for him and his family...
Thank you Coleman Barks and Michael Green! I am deeply grateful to them for all they have contributed.
May we all live the messages of Rumi!
on 17 November 1998
Coleman Barks and Michael Green have performed a rare feat, combining words and images successfully. No small acomplishment considering the subject matter. I and many people I have talked to have commented on how many times one can derive new levels of enjoyment and fulfillment when reading and viewing these illuminated verses.
on 11 December 1997
My words to describe a GOD realized soul such as RUMI could never be adequate, but they can lead you to this book and that is my gift to you. The Illuminated Rumi is a DIAMOND reflecting the light of GOD.
on 2 September 1999
I have never known a book that has altered my apprecitation for the spoken word. This books explodes off the pages with warmth, depth, and love.
on 21 May 2007
Anyone who tries to elaborate on Rumi's poetry might be accused of clouding the waters. However, I think this is done with the utmost repsect and homage.

For example: A book full of words and images , that suggests on page 115: 'This is the point where you might set this book down. Try to discover what fragrance really is and what it might be to live inside that. Words and images can never give the experience.'

A rather unique book.
on 27 July 1998
This is an incredible journey into the most humanly rendered exploration of what it means to be surrendered/searching/dancing with the great mystery. Rumi is--what?-- a fully enlightened mystical poet who somehow speaks through Coleman Barks right to our ragged twentieth century hearts; The wonderful art takes it into a realm beyond words. Are there prints available of his work? Should be.
on 27 November 2010
The Illuminated Rumi is a gift I made to myself,
a beautiful valued treasure. For the past fifteen
years one or another of COLMAN BARKS' translations of Rumi's
work has always traveled with me, being a constant bedside companion.
The Illuminated Rumi is too large for that, it needs to be kept out
in full view, to be opened and wondered at in passing, once opened, it can stop me
in my tracks and brings me back to the moment, the house cleaning can wait.
Often Truth touched in Rumi's work brings up soul tears, the art of the illumination by MICHAEL GREEN in The Illuminated Rumi
takes my breath away and leaves me speechless. I share its title with all my
'Rumi' friends but not the book, they must get their own illumination :-)

To all who helped produce this beautiful work of art,
blessings and rainbows,

double eagle ^^
on 18 December 2013
Astonishing pictures and art word coupled with Rumi's poetry and comments. Wonderful wonderful book, highly recommended to all those who love beautiful things.
on 10 November 1997
This is an amazing, inspiring book that brings the immortal words of Rumi closer and closer to your heart. Each reading brings a new joyful nuance.