5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Homage
Published on 8 Aug 2006 by Debra Morse

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected
The author tries to put Rumi's verses in today's (90's actually when this book was conceived) perspective, trying to amalgamate all religions in the process. i found it rather hotch potch than enlightening and seems to be a new age kind of thing.
Published 8 months ago by Alexander Vassallo

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Homage, 8 Aug 2006
Debra Morse (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Illuminated Rumi (Hardcover)
This beautiful volume is a must-have for anyone who loves Rumi, and a fantastic introduction for those who are new to the poetry. It is not a scholarly work, although the light commentary is nicely done. Rather, the work is a lovely mélange of Rumi's poems as translated by Coleman Barks, complemented by the stunning illustrations of Michael Green. It's experiential rather than academic. A tool, not a lecture.

The overall effect is hypnotic. Excellent as a prequel to meditation, it is more evocative than stimulating. Read the poem, let your eyes flow over the pictures, and be transported. If you know and have studied Rumi, all you have read and learned will wash over you in the process. If you are new to Rumi, you will realize wisdom you didn't know you had.

Understand, this transport is courtesy of the poetry. The illustrations provide a little pretty oil for the mesmeric skids. And just as Rumi transcends his Sufi origins to reach all faiths, so also do the illustrations contain aspects of all the organized (and unorganized) religions.

"Come, whoever you are! Wanderer, worshipper, lover of learning. This is not a caravan of despair. It doesn't matter if you've broken your vow a thousand times, still and yet again, come!"

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for the soul's journey homeward to the Self!, 14 Jun 1999
This review is from: The Illuminated Rumi (Hardcover)
A must read for the soul's journey homeward to the Self I read this work slowly, savoring the moments and the illuminations as sparks of awakening to my own soul.
I was introduced to Rumi's writings in January 1999 and I feel as though I have come home to an understanding that I could not always put into words.
As a writer/journalist myself, I find that often the words escape me, yet they are right outside of my mind's grasp. The writings/translations of Rumi and the pictorials in this book have moved me deeper than most work, inspiring me in my own world of words as I re-member to whom Rumi writes with such passion.Then, it brings me renewed passion for my own work.
I recently married a couple and used this book as part of the service. As a wedding present, I gifted the couple with this book. What a beautiful way for them to start their lives. I highly recommend this as a gift for others and for special occasions where you want to give a fine work both in art and literature.
On Mother's Day I shared this work with my oldest Son, age 26, who was also moved and he asked me to order this for him and his family...
Thank you Coleman Barks and Michael Green! I am deeply grateful to them for all they have contributed.
May we all live the messages of Rumi!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great combination of words and images., 17 Nov 1998
This review is from: The Illuminated Rumi (Hardcover)
Coleman Barks and Michael Green have performed a rare feat, combining words and images successfully. No small acomplishment considering the subject matter. I and many people I have talked to have commented on how many times one can derive new levels of enjoyment and fulfillment when reading and viewing these illuminated verses.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is drenched in SPIRIT. Read it and FLY., 11 Dec 1997
This review is from: The Illuminated Rumi (Hardcover)
My words to describe a GOD realized soul such as RUMI could never be adequate, but they can lead you to this book and that is my gift to you. The Illuminated Rumi is a DIAMOND reflecting the light of GOD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, A wonder of words and art, 2 Sep 1999
This review is from: The Illuminated Rumi (Hardcover)
I have never known a book that has altered my apprecitation for the spoken word. This books explodes off the pages with warmth, depth, and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem, 21 May 2007
This review is from: The Illuminated Rumi (Hardcover)
Anyone who tries to elaborate on Rumi's poetry might be accused of clouding the waters. However, I think this is done with the utmost repsect and homage.

For example: A book full of words and images , that suggests on page 115: 'This is the point where you might set this book down. Try to discover what fragrance really is and what it might be to live inside that. Words and images can never give the experience.'

A rather unique book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sacred art for our time meets Greatest poet of all time, 27 July 1998
This review is from: The Illuminated Rumi (Hardcover)
This is an incredible journey into the most humanly rendered exploration of what it means to be surrendered/searching/dancing with the great mystery. Rumi is--what?-- a fully enlightened mystical poet who somehow speaks through Coleman Barks right to our ragged twentieth century hearts; The wonderful art takes it into a realm beyond words. Are there prints available of his work? Should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will LOVE this book!, 10 Nov 1997
This review is from: The Illuminated Rumi (Hardcover)
This is an amazing, inspiring book that brings the immortal words of Rumi closer and closer to your heart. Each reading brings a new joyful nuance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book slowly, savoring it., 9 Jan 1999
This review is from: The Illuminated Rumi (Hardcover)
Read this book slowly, savoring each page and each picture. If you don't, you will miss much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry and images, 18 Dec 2013
Silvia Pio - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Illuminated Rumi (Hardcover)
Astonishing pictures and art word coupled with Rumi's poetry and comments. Wonderful wonderful book, highly recommended to all those who love beautiful things.

The Illuminated Rumi
The Illuminated Rumi by Jalal Al-Din Rumi (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2000)
17.12