5.0 out of 5 stars It's a play not a novel
Published on 26 July 2011 by B. Gray

2.0 out of 5 stars Journey's end
I Paid for this book on my kindle but I did not get the complete book please can you send me a complete book

Janis Farmer
Published 9 months ago by Mrs. Janis Farmer

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a play not a novel, 26 July 2011
Many of the more luke-warm reviewers of this powerful play clearly haven't been to see a good production. I don't think it's about boredom, rather about how men cope, without going mad, with the impossible horror of having seen thousands of their comrades die hideously in battle often in prolonged agony, of knowing that they themselves are likely to die soon, of hearing constant battle noise or the single cracks of sniper fire when it's quieter. Each of the characters deal with this in a different but equally convincing way. Go and see the superb production now on in London, or any production you can, re-read the play and I think you'll have a different take on what you've read. It is after all designed to be seen and heard, not read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching play that portrays the reality of WWI, 27 Sep 2000
By A Customer
I first read this play when I was studying for an English GCSE. To be honest, I didn't really expect much of it, as I don't always enjoy the books we are told to read. However, from the moment I opened it, I knew this was something special. Sherriff's realistic portrayal of the WWI trenches and the relationships between the men really do stay with you forever. I never wanted to put it down This is a gem of a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotion, Friendship juxtaposed with Pure Horror and Brutality, 6 Dec 2007
T. M. Fuller "TommyF" (England) - See all my reviews
'Journey's End' opens in the bleak environment of the Western Front as a new arrival James Raleigh comes to join a group of soldiers in the trench system. The 'journey' on which the soldiers embark upon is contains two human attributes, the first being emotional attachment, the second being the power of perceiverance.

Sherriff does not need to go into the graphic details of what happens when the men 'go over the top', however he builds up a number of passionate friendships that both move and endear the reader. The first of these relationships is between Commander Stanhope and Officer Osborne who is 'the only man who could understand me' as described by the company commander at the moment of Osborne's demise. Their relationship is one of two brothers as they look after each other on the Front line - 'what would I ever do without you old chap' exclaims Stanhope, 'I do not know' responds Osborne - inferring the loving relationship the two characters share. At the moment of Osborne's death I was shocked at the anger that welled up inside Stanhope as he responded to the comments from the survivors of the daylight raid on 'the Boche'. He shouts at Hibbert - 'What did you say!...Get out of my sight!' in anger at losing his 'most trusted friend' and the sense of loss is only solidified by the explosion of emotion that feels his dialogue whilst conversing with Raleigh (the soul commanding survivor of the raid).

The audience can fully understand the sense of anger that is perpetuated by Stanhope at the loss of his comrade. The loss moves the reader as the emotional outpouring fills six pages of intense dialogue between the commanding officer and the other soldiers.

The opposite reaction can be found at the climax of the performance. Stanhope must deal with another loss, this time of his school friend and new arrival Raleigh. The young officer's death is one of immense sadness and brutality as the 'young boy's' dignity is ripped from him as 'he cannot walk sir' - though the most sombre moment comes when Raleigh asks 'is there something on my legs, I cannot move them' unbeknown to him that he is in fact paralysed from shrapnel breaking his spine. This horrific brutality is finalised with the death of 'that fine soldier'. This moment is devoid of anger or confusion, but bears down to the horrific truth of war time conflict. Sherriff highlights the horrific truth with the final dialogue between another officer and Stanhope. Stanhope must leave his fallen friend, 'I'm coming now', as he is called to duty. The audience is left feeling immense for the soldier who thought 'it awful nice of you to bother' when Stanhope fetches him a blanket and a candle as his last dying wish.

Sherriff allows two redeeming features to the two horrific deaths of the soldiers lie with the ignorance of Raleigh and the rapid death endured by Osborne whilst 'waiting for Raleigh on the Front line'. However this only adds to the brilliance of the play as a piece of anti war artwork.

Sherriff is fantastic at delivering a dialogue that not only amuses in places and heartens the audience but also plunges them to the depths of dispair at the brutality and senselessness of war. Two young men die in the play, along with six nameless others, however Sherriff only touches the tip of the iceberg with the play, but my does this tip deliver a piercing cut to the audience. It is emotive and passionate in its description of the group of men in the trenches, but accompanying this is a forceful message that highlights the stupid senselessness of the war effort and pays remeberance to the young souls who fell throughou the Great War.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational!, 2 July 2000
By A Customer
This is the most moving play I have ever read.This play possesses all the dramatic components it needs in order to make it a success: comedy, tragedy, conflict and a flawed hero. This play is the only play I have ever read that has brought a tear to my eye.
As a result of the play's brilliance I am now starring and co-directing a performance of it at my school!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive and moving play., 17 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This drama about trench life in the first world war is a very moving piece. The characters- Captain Stanhope, who has changed dramatically since he came to the front, Raleigh, the young officer and schoolfriend of Stanhope who hero-worships him, the avuncular teacher Osborne, the comic cook Mason, and the other characters are portrayed sensitively and accurately. The play brings out all the tragedy of war, as you would expect, but is unsentimental and even brings out the humour of the situation at times. In short, well worth reading- especially around November 11th.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very British, 9 Oct 2009
I love the film 'Withnail and I,' & recently noticed the 'I' character reading this play during a scene in the movie - presumably it's the play in which he ultimately wins a part. This prompted me to order a copy from Amazon, and guess what? It's not bad!

It's a thoroughly British portrayal of life in a WW1 trench. It's not perfect - there is more than a hint of stereotypical caricature in Sherriff's depiction of various working class/public school characters - and it seems rather sanitised compared to Remarque's superb description of trench warfare in 'All Quiet On The Western Front,' but you are drawn in by it all, and I'm sure the script would gain a lot & be very affecting in performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars the journey continues, 1 Mar 2011
P. Fairhurst (Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England) - See all my reviews
The message of this play, a bold piece of drama for the time in which it was written, is still relevant and powerful today. The plot is very easy to follow, and it is the themes and ideas that draw the reader in, such as the moral dilemma of commanders who know that the war is unjustified and that their own leaders are stupid and incompetent, yet feel duty or honour bound to follow the rules of war. Does any of this sound familiar?
There is also a grim fascination in examining the strategies each man adopts in order to cope with the insane hell in which he finds himself. It is a real drama about real people, and it leaves the audience/readers with uncomfortable questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 July 2010
I read this whilst doing my English Literature A level and I was pleasently surprised! I really got into it easily and become engrossed in all the characters, I know this book deserves a much more detailed and in depth review about all the issues that it covers, but I already did that in my essay!

Happy reading :)

5.0 out of 5 stars 'JOURNEY'S END' - A 'MUST' FOR 2014 ......., 5 Jan 2014
I have read and re-read this wonderful book several times. This year marks the 100th anniversary of the Great War and doubtless there will be many who will claim that it was not a 'just war' - merely a most terrible waste of young men or rather boys. How we got entailed in such a bloodbath is a complex issue and it was not always a case of 'Lions led by Donkeys'. The casualty rate among young officers such as Sherriff was enormous. For the most part, they were courageous youngsters straight from school who were keen to do their duty for King and Country - and carried out that duty without thought for their own safety - thus showing true leadership. We shall doubtless hear a good deal about the satire, 'Black Adder' also the brilliant stage production of 'Oh What a Lovely War' and those cynics who decry the sacrifice made by so many young men. But when considering the 1914-18 War, surely we should place it in the context of the times and not judge the actions of those in command by today's standards. Now in my Seventies,, my father served in the trenches for some three years - first in the Queen's Westminster Rifles then in the 15th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles. I have his papers and he was discharged in 1918 suffering from 'severe neurasthenia' or put another way, half mad! Might I suggest that if you are able that you visit the sites of some of these most terrible battles. Such a visit should bring home to any sensitive individual just how fortunate he/she is to live in the comparative safety and wellbeing of 2014.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant play!, 20 Mar 2013
Journey's End is a brilliant play that helped me to pass my English Literature A level. Alongside Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks this play helps us to delve into life as a soldier in the war, It riveted me from the begining and I was interested in seeing how the characters developed further into the play. Raleigh was a great protagonist and I enjoyed witnessing his experiences during the war alongside the other characters. I recommend this play to other students studying English Literature or/and History as I found it helpful in both topics myself. I also recommend this to people who like brilliant emotional plays and those who are fond of war pieces and stories. This play was very informative.

Journey's End a Play in Three Acts
Journey's End a Play in Three Acts by R. C. Sherriff (Paperback - 5 April 2004)
Out of stock