Format: HardcoverChange

on 24 September 1998
I heard the British broadcaster Michael Freedland describe this as "a God-send as I sit through the otherwise unintelligible and protracted High Holyday services." How right he is! It brought all the prayers to life: their theology, meaning and purpose, literary and poetic structure, origin, allusions, history, biography of authors, etc. It also taught me the reason for all the things we do at this High Holyday period, the origin and development of the festival, home customs (it made everything so easy and enriched our home celebrations) and festival traditions around the world.
I wish this book had been around as I was growing up. It would have converted my reluctant visits to synagogue at this period into a fascinating and enriching experience, and would have deepened my attachment to Judaism.
Still, it's not too late. Order the book, quick!