5.0 out of 5 stars a life-line for parents of adopted or fostered children!
I read this first when I was fostering my (now) adopted daughter. It was like being given a translation dictionary for a language I didn't speak. It helped me understand and communicate how much I loved her and wanted to help. I bought it again recently because I need it for continual reference. Buy it, read it, re-read it. No-one else told me this stuff! Everyone...
Published on 26 Mar. 2009 by Short Read

3.0 out of 5 stars An informative book, interesting but hard to get into in parts
I purchased this book after fostering a challenging little girl, certain parts made sense and did help. But in the main it was quite difficult to grasp and because it is was written by an American author it was a little over the top for me.
Published 11 months ago by gabriel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review Hughes D, 16 Oct. 2014
A very informative read in the narrative style which gave the subject matter extra depth. I found the story of little Katie intriguing fascinating and inspiring to understand the workings of the pace model of therapeutic intervention. This further enhances the attachment model and was easy to follow and grasp the inner workings of......if only I could find a foster carer like Jackie and available therapist like Allison for the 23 traumatised reactive attachment disordered kids on my caseload !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 6 May 2014
Fab book really easy reading and understanding great if your thinking of fostering or even if ur just trying to understand a child

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Building the Bonds of Attachment: Awakening Love in Deeply Troubled Children (Paperback)
This book has transformed my understanding of my adopted son and what attachment needs to be. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 3 Jan. 2015
For anyone interested in troubled children through work, personal involvement or a future career path this is a book brimming with knowledge but in an easy to read and follow format. I thoroughly recommend it - it has increased my understanding of the roots of some horrific behaviour patterns and gives hope that children who are locked in a emotional prison can be freed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough read, but very insightful and helpful to understand ..., 14 Oct. 2014
Tough read, but very insightful and helpful to understand the basis on how children who have experienced significant trauma may view the world. Would read it myself and see how applicable it may be for your own child/children before sending on to family members though as it does focus on one case study which could be more extreme than the child or children you have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful book, 4 Mar. 2014
Although the children I adopted do not have any major attachment disorders, this book was still very useful.
1. Gives insight on certain significant behaviours in adopted children - in itself worth the price
2. Gives useful strategies on coping with difficult behaviours
3. An interesting read about Katie - a fictional girl based on real children.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book and great for reference material, 6 July 2014
need this for work, a great book and great for reference material

4.0 out of 5 stars Building the bonds of attachment by Daniel a Hughes, 2 Jun. 2014
Very clear plus like a story so entertaining I'd asked a therapist what was new in therapy these days band she had suggested the book

5.0 out of 5 stars very good for parents caring for children in the care system with reactive attachment disorder, 19 Feb. 2014
This was a very enjoyable, informative and easy read. I found it both useful for explaining behaviours associated with children in the care system who have suffered backgrounds of neglect, abuse and separation and loss and who are therefore suffering from attachment disorders that culminate from those traumatic early childhood experiences. I foster children and would recommend this book to anyone who fosters as it provides a very real insight and helps to clarify and promote understanding to children's behaviours in this respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book!, 17 Feb. 2014
Angel (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an amazing book. It was recommended to me by a social worker. I am a foster carer, so understanding more about children with attachment difficulties is extremely helpful to me. I would thoroughly recommend it to any parent or therapist who needs to understand more about children struggling to form healthy attachments.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›