5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the others in the Imager Portfolio
I was waiting for this continuing story of the Imager Portfolio to be released and now that it has and I've read it I am not disappointed it was just as good as the others in the Portfolio.
Published 21 months ago by ALAN GOTFREY

3.0 out of 5 stars Repititious
Too much about the war and nothing much else - even the 'special effects' not clearly explained - still not bad
Published 16 months ago by Derek

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the others in the Imager Portfolio, 11 Feb 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars The Imager Portfolio, 27 April 2014
This is really a review of the whole series, as I've read them all up to this one & intend to read the rest too.

I keep asking myself, why? Why do I enjoy these books so much? Why am I driven to read them so obsessively at the negation of other excellent books waiting for my attention? Why are Rhenn & Quaeryt so engaging?

I could say it's because of the excellent writing, but I've read other books just as good if not better. I could say that it's the captivating plots, but sometimes Modesitt' s tendency to use excessive detail can swamp any attempt to use action as a plot mover, (check out Princeps if you don't believe me). I could say it's the action, character building, an eerie ability to capture real conversations or even to be able to give just the right amount of insight into a character's thought processes. Yet I still feel that I would have failed to identify what actually keeps me reading.

Throughout the series I have been troubled by the casual treatment of death, especially the way both central characters in the series seem able to justify being judge, jury & executioner in countless situations without consulting others or feeling lasting remorse. Quaeryt does seem to struggle with this more than Rhenn, but even he is able to ignore his dubious concerns enough to carry on with the practice.

And yet I'm still tempted to buy the next instalment & start reading it as soon as possible!

WHY?

If you think you know why, then please, please, please tell me! I think I'm doomed to read the whole series anyway but it may help others decide if they want to start or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 26 April 2014
Great read, well written and easy to read. I am adding this author to my wish list and looking out for more books

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Imager book from Modesitt, 22 Feb 2014
Having read the Imager Trilogy previously I was delighted to find this new series which is set in an earlier era and shows how Solidar and the Image Isle came to be established. This is one of 5 books which describe this history with a very powerful imager as the central figure we follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars just had to keep reading this. It's in the the best Modesitt tradition., 10 Feb 2014
Keeps you wondering till the end, whilst knowing he will succeed. I especially love his name Quaeryt, i.e. Query It! Perfect for a scholar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Continues a gripping story, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Imager's Battalion (Imager Portfolio) (Mass Market Paperback)
Admitting I am a sucker for a series, liking the greater depth they give a story line, this latest episode in the Imager world kept me reading, and waiting for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modesitt strikes again, 17 Feb 2013
Modesitt gets the blood flowing and you always want to know what happens next. His fantasy always seems to tick all the boxes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Modesitt again, 20 Aug 2014
Lionel Aldridge (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Another excellent series from this prolific author although running this sequence to 5 titles is pushing it. Nor is enough explained about the pharsi who essentially take the role of jews

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality writing, 26 Sep 2014
John Dean - See all my reviews
He just gets better and better.
You really need to read the other books in the series, but, as they are all excellent, that should not be a problem!

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much information, 24 Feb 2013
Modesitt has a tendency to pad books with paragraphs, sometimes pages, of unnecessary details about meals and other peripheral matters, so that the story could have been told in about 2/3 of the space with very little loss. If you relish these details, of course, okay. Apart from that, I enjoyed the book, though I skipped a good deal of the waffle.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Imager's Battalion (Imager Portfolio)
Imager's Battalion (Imager Portfolio) by L. Jr. (Mass Market Paperback - 25 Nov 2013)