Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on 22 June 2012
I have enjoyed the Imager books so far. The system of psionic powers that underpins the background to these stories is well worked out, although there is one large inconsistency. In the first 3 books of the Imager portfolio, the Imager has to sleep alone because of the danger to his sleeping partner if he images in his sleep. There has been no sign of the need for this in the present book. That apart, the system holds together very well. The plot was sufficiently complex to maintain my interest throughout, the main protagonists just about escape being over-simplistic, and Vaelora's character shows signs of developing nicely. I'm looking forward to the next one.
on 20 January 2013
I have read all of Modesitt's books they are great I have them in hard copy. I travel a lot and so use my kindle. I also enjoy reading books more than once. As the new book is out soon I thought I might remind myself of the story. I reluctantly pre ordered the next book in kindle format for the exorbitant price of just short of £11.00. Why is it that ebooks cost more than hard copy? That has to be crazy. Come on Mr Modesitt stop being greedy, your fans deserve better. I am afraid that until the prices drop to become more reasonable I for one won't be buying any more of your books.
11 comment7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2013
This novel continues the career of Quaeryt and as usual Modesitt builds a full character foreground and background. There is a sort of formulaic approach to this (and in other series by the same author) and on this occasion it did not have the normal resonance. Can't put my finger on it, but as a continuation of a prior 'good' novel, this lacked a similar sparkle. However, I shall be purchasing the next two books in the series when they are available in the hope of returning to a more gripping standard.
on 11 July 2012
This book is as good as any in the past from Le Modesitt Jnr, its inventive, the story is well constructed and keeps you on edge from page to page. The new characters carry on the tradition of intelligent and resourceful people with a twinkle in the eye when it comes to fun and being able to take on challenges, they hunger for both.

Buy the book you will not be disappointed and it will keep you as usual wanting more.

Dave : )
on 19 April 2013
If you liked the "Recluse" series the you should enjoy the imager series. I like the way Modesitt introduces some interesting philisophical questions. life the univers and everything like Douglas Adams but more seriously.
on 8 August 2013
I love Modesitt's books and was looking forward to this one. However, I felt it was rushed and rather formulaic, the moral quandaries were less interesting than usual and the characters less compelling. A shame
on 23 July 2013
Latest book in the Imager Portfolio series.
A great story about a strong character. You really need to read Scholar to fully appreciate this book.
What a great author L.E.Modesitt Jr. is!
on 27 September 2012
As usual Modesitt incorporates all the twist and turns of intrigue that is his forte. This another very enjoyable novel in this series. I can't wait for the next one. Thanks Amazon.
on 20 April 2014
This is part two in the second Imager series, coming after Scholar, continuing the life of Quaeryt and his efforts to make the lives of imagers better .. and just to survive.
on 29 August 2012
This is in the great tradition of Modesitt. The story carries you along with good images in your mind. Thoroughly absorbing whetting the appetite for the next instalment