Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 28 July 2011
I am a fan of Ben Bova Science Fiction, so had high expectations of this book. It is classed as fiction rather than science fiction, but borders on the fringes in my opinion.

It is based on the concept of the star wars laser defense initiative, basically about putting a high powered laser on a 747 plane called ABL-1. I won't go into any plot details for obvious reasons.

I found the book riveting and fast paced from the first chapter to the last. As always, Bova sets up tension and conflict between characters and follows his formula, as in most of his other books. If you are a fan, then it is a must read, if you are new to Ben Bova it is definitely worth a look, though his style might not be to everyones tastes. I read this book in a couple of days. Highly recommended.
on 13 June 2013
I really enjoyed this - always liked Ben Bova. The link to contemporary issues and real life makde the book especially riveting. A slight anti-climax at the end maybe.
on 14 August 2012
great read, particularly for holiday and travel time. the book is centred on the now and realistic. I certainly wanted to stay with it until the end.