1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent magical historical from this author, 15 Jun 2010
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heart's Blood (Mass Market Paperback)
It turns out I've read the previous book in this series by Gail Dayton, 'New Blood', which I also gave five stars. However, when I started reading this I hadn't remembered that book and it was only after I was grabbed by this story that some of the peripheral characters began to feel familiar. If I hadn't read 'New Blood' it wouldn't have mattered as all that was necessary to this story was explained.

'Heart's Blood' deservedly receives five stars from me, for many of the same reasons as the previous book. The writing is excellent, pacing is good, characters are varied and interesting, the magical setting is unusual and it's not at all predictable. The main plot is that our heroine, Miss Pearl Parkin, persuades Magister Grey Carteret to take her on as an apprentice in magic. Grey is a conjurer, one of four types of magic (conjury, sorcery, wizardry and alchemy), and Pearl is soon discovered to be a sorcerer - a very rare magical form which has its own problems.

The only known sorcerer, Amanusa (heroine of the previous book), isn't available to help teach Pearl initially so she and Grey do their best to learn from experience as well as from a couple of sorcery books that Pearl has. But they may be blundering around a little in the dark, and when trying to get to the bottom of a gruesome murder their combined skills may bring them closer together than Grey might want.

I enjoyed the mid-nineteenth century setting of London with the dark underbelly, the gentlemen-only nature of some of the magical guilds and the mystery of the dark zones and the murderer. This was another excellent read and I look forward to the next in this series.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book Helen Hancox 2010

Heart's Blood
Heart's Blood by Gail Dayton (Mass Market Paperback - 4 Jan 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01