Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 5 June 2009
I don't know what it is about this guy, the story is a bit cliche and the outcome is predictable but it is all done in such a refreshing and enjoyable way that the flaws aren't noticeable and his writing is so good that the book is a real pleasure to read and was a page turner. The character development was good and I found myself hoping that everything turned out for the better, anyway I can't recommend this book enough and I like his style so much I'm going to get some more of his books.
on 20 July 2012
There is one thing you can count on from any of Martinez's books - funny stuff happening. This falls right in with the others. Though I have bought all that he has written, this is only the third I've read. I have a habit of doing that; buying all of a series if I like the first one, but spacing out the reading. That way, I generally have one to read when the mood strikes for that "kind" of story.

Here we have Never Dead Ned. The feature described "Never Dead" is not quite true. He does die, and, no matter how badly others want him to, he just won't stay that way. That may or may not be good news for everyone, including Ned. Dying does become a pain after you've done it so many times. I guess.

Ned has one other feature; he isn't very good at doing anything. Thus, not surprisingly, even in this world that Martinez has created, the powers that be have decided to put him in charge of a military fort. (Think F-Troop from the mid-60s TV.)

The book is merely about Ned not dying; and Ned not doing much else of value. The band of misfit orcs, ogres, rocs, demons, and other assorted creatures that are at the fort are quite busy being poor soldiers and checking on Ned's ever-changing status.

For some out-loud funny reading, grab this book by Martinez to go along with his others.
on 2 January 2015
Someone else wrote, "If In the Company of Ogres were beer, it would be Pratchett-Lite". That sums it up very nicely.

The likes of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams are popular because they ponder the big philosophical questions in a hilarious way, while Martinez tries to top that with an unbeatable, universe destroying entity which he contrasts with the ultimate wimp for his main character.

Mind you - this novel is still funny, very funny in parts, and A. Lee Martinez has created a cast of vibrant and lovable characters - except the hero who I just could not care for.

It's also a nice take on life in the military, but compare this novel to Pratchett's extraordinarily good Monstrous Regiment and you'll know what I mean.

This was the second Martinez I read in a row, and again I can not help myself thinking that a third or so less would have made for a better novel.

Recommended with a caveat.
on 21 December 2010
First book from A Lee Martinez I have read. I've always been a fan of tongue in cheek fantasy writing and thrived on Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett.

I found this book highly entertaining, fitting nicely into the above genre, with a slant towards Pratchett.

I've already ordered the rest of his books.

If the above is your thing and you havent read him yet give this a try, well worth the effort.
on 8 May 2016
I've been working my way through A. Lee Martinez books and this one isn't just my favourite book by the author, but probably one of my favourite books of all time.

Very funny, original and packed with action.
on 9 January 2014
couldn't put it down which is why I'm still awake at 03.48. Having read The Nameless Witch a while ago and giggled throughout I couldn't resist trying the next one, and was not disappointed.