5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, yet again.
I don't know how he does it but Mr Modesitt yet again produces a book that I just couldn't put down. The Imager Portfolio and The Saga of Recluse are well thought out, imaginative, and unputdownable reads, all of them!!!
This gentleman has somehow escaped the glory and acclamation of other authors who have produced more 'fashionable' books.
Mr Modessit is up...
Published 14 months ago by Mr Nicholas R Stevenson

1.0 out of 5 stars Lazy writing and plotting
I resent books like this. L.E. Modesitt is a perfectly competent writer ... when he can be bothered. He has written some splendid material, such as "The Magic of Recluce" and the "Forever Hero" novels. He has also written inferior works, more or less routinely, as sequels.

This is an inferior work, Modesitt by numbers. All his military...
Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, yet again., 24 Jun 2013
Mr Modessit is up there with the best, Katherine Kerr, Robin Hobb, Brent Weeks, Terry Goodkind, in fact he stands atop of the pile!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Antiagon Fire, 19 Jun 2013
Great plot, good story line. This story grabs your attention from the beginning and doesn't let go, and I will be reading this again and again. Good series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Antiago Fire, 22 Feb 2014
S. Tucker "Bookworm" (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antiagon Fire (Imager Portfolio) (Hardcover)
I have a little problem with these books. I've been reading this series back to back and have to keep stopping to recharge my ereader.

Anyway, enough of my problems.

Very subtle and very well written series. I have the original imager series set in a future time after this one and I will be rereading it after I have finished this one, as I think I will get a lot more information out of it. Every time I read these books I pick up things I have missed. The different customs of the lands he travels through are very well thought out and I find myself living the book. I want to know what happens, but I don't want the story to end

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 30 July 2013
As a fan of Modesitt (I've read just about everything he's written) I can say this is a jolly good read. It's not him at his best but Modesitt always writes cogently, clearly and engages the reader well. His characters are similar to those in his other books. It's a good plot and full of action. I also like the way the worlds he creates link with one another and the way he plays with his hero and similar themes in each novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Reading!, 29 April 2014
If you want to know why I'm still reading this series, please see my review for Imager's Battalion.

I'm still in a quandary!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lazy writing and plotting, 29 April 2014

This is an inferior work, Modesitt by numbers. All his military campaigns are exactly the same. The countryside is sketchily realised, the people interactions invariably involve the hero sitting around with minimal forces, worrying at his colleagues and subordinates and getting constantly reassured by them - something that is quite simply unbelievable and irritating. Indeed there is a parody waiting to be written where all the minor characters groan at the author making them constantly pet the hero. So frankly it's boring a lot of the time. Modesitt's ability to keep the reader with him means you finish the work; but only just.

Much of the plot is silly. The hero - never mind his name, it's the same hero as every other Modesitt book - goes off on a dangerous diplomatic mission, with wife (!). Instead of negotiating the council of Khel make pointless speeches. After which, for no obvious reason, the hero goes and stands on a hill-top while people get him dive-bombed by eagles.

Anybody with an elementary experience of human interactions will find all this incredible. Khel itself was tedious and improbable as a country.

Likewise the scenes where the hero is involved in pacifying Bovaria. I wonder if Modesitt knows that there are memoirs, written by imperial civil servants who had to do precisely such a role in difficult country, after British forces had won the major battle but now had to create a nation? (e.g. in Nigeria) If he had read these, his storyline would be considerably more probable.

It tires, after a while. You can only take so much poor quality plotting and writing.

If you have read the series so far, you may as well read this. But frankly it's atrocious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as always, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Antiagon Fire (Imager Portfolio) (Hardcover)
Great read, well written and easy to read. I am adding this author to my wish list and looking out for more books

4.0 out of 5 stars book, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Antiagon Fire (Imager Portfolio) (Hardcover)
this was odered for my dad who has been reading the whole series and it is easy for him to get them as soon as they are out

5.0 out of 5 stars Antiagon Fire, 14 Sep 2013
Mr. P. J. HAY "HayWain" (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
Modesitt does again in this amazing Prequel to the Imager series- all the past references in the original series are now coming to life in the life and loves of a Founder of Solidar as he and his wife in their separate ways build a land that will protect the future of Imagers and the land around them and its place in the world

4.0 out of 5 stars Modesitt on form, 21 Jun 2013
4 stars because this is a typically competent offering by L E Modesitt. I know and like his style and I like his characters and their situations. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Antiagon Fire (Imager Portfolio)
Antiagon Fire (Imager Portfolio) by L.E Jr (Hardcover - 21 Jun 2013)
12.91