Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 January 2015
'Fighting to Survive' continues from the first book as Jenni and Katie adapt to life living in Ashley Oaks, a small Texas town which managed to close itself off during the first days of the zombie attacks and now is working to build a fort to protect themselves from the outside world. Jenni and Katie find themselves developing relationships whilst facing obstacles. As the community work together to make their community safe, there is more trouble on the horizon, bandits who steal and kill wherever they go and are heading towards the fort that Jenni and Katie call home.

I enjoyed 'Fighting to Survive', there was action and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the community in the fort. I also enjoyed see Jenni change to a more confident and happier person. As the story progressed you meet more of the individuals of the fort and the issues that are raised by living in such close proximity which I enjoyed.

There was also mystery in this book as the fort have to face the wrath of the unknown vigilante who has decided they have the right to decide who lives or die.

The only downside of the book is the editing, there are some errors throughout the book.

Now on to the third and final book in the series.
on 21 June 2014
This is not the sort of book you can read slowly. With such a fast pace you find yourself racing from page to page to see how this story is going to unfold. Rhiannon makes you CARE. You care about these people. About this place. The amazingly bizarre thing about it is that the story is set in the scariest situation a human could imagine, yet you want to be there! I find I miss the people and their epic battles when I put the book down. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on 7 October 2014
Excellent story, very good character development, probably the best novel I have read for some time.
Phil
on 11 May 2016
The continuing story of Katie and Jenni fighting to survive in the zombie infested world.
Once again Ms Frater has knocked it out the park. A brilliant second book in this fantastic trilogy.
Not just zombies to worry about this time round. Totally invested in all the characters.
Edge of seat with anxiety - no dodging the gruesome stuff. Truly dark. Brilliant!!
on 18 November 2011
"Fighting To Survive" is absolutely brilliant! It's the second instalment of the 'As the World Dies' trilogy by horror writer, Rhiannon Frater. I loved the first book, 'The First Days' but this was even better. It was just so good I couldn't bear to put it down. I read it in two sittings and the story remained with me long after I finished the last page. The action came thick and fast and didn't let go, but was so wonderfully paced I didn't feel as though I was constantly trying to keep up.

The characterisation is just amazing, I love Katie and Jenni; they are such great protagonists and all the secondary characters are just as well rounded and all have a part to play in this zombie horror. It's these characters that make this particular horror novel touching, moving, as well as it being gruesome, suspenseful and horrifying.

There are multiple plots in "Fighting to Survive" but Frater manages to keep everything straight and not allow it all to become a jumbled mess. If fact, I really felt as though I was following Jenni and Katie's lives in almost real time and as each obstacle was presented to them I found myself trying to work out how to fix it with them. It gave the book authenticity, which I loved.

The relationships between some of the characters are deepened. There's also lots of drama, emotional turmoil, for me as well as the characters, and lots of fantastic action. The scenes where the characters enter the hotel to clear it of zombies is honestly one of the most tense scenes I've read. My stomach was in knots for the entire time I was reading it. I was so worried about the characters and Frater does a superb job at keeping the suspense nice and tight and not let it drift, which made the whole thing nerve-racking.

Jenni slips from reality a little further and sees the ghost of her husband, who was actually zombified in the first book. She's losing it but tries to keep it together. Jenni and Katie's friendship is stronger than ever. They are still the main characters, but we do get to know a little more about the other characters especially Travis and Juan.

Katie's sexual attack was pretty horrific, my heart went out to her, but it was warming to see her friends rally around and support her. It was interesting to see how the residents of the fort reacted to this, most were supportive of Katie, but a few sided with the attacker. This frustrated me no end, but I suppose it's the same as in real life. Luckily, the horrid little man got his comeuppance!

With hordes of zombies moaning and shuffling outside the fort's perimeters, there's a lot more to think about than romance. However, there is an element of romance throughout the novel for Katie and Jenni, which was a continuation from 'The First Days'.

VERDICT:

"Fighting To Survive" is a horror novel with heart. It's funny and endearing in places and sickening and gory in others, but always perfectly balanced between the two. This series is a fantastic addition to the zombie genre and I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy of `Siege' the final book in this phenomenal trilogy.

I gave this 9/10 on [...]
on 13 June 2015
A decent zombie series, I like that the main characters are two women!
on 12 February 2015
This was a xmas present bought for my son he enjoyed it
on 16 June 2016
great book - superb condition! thank you so much.
on 29 February 2016
if you like zombie books you will enjoy this
on 7 September 2013
As a big fan of Rhiannon Frater's work, and a lover of the first book in the series, The First Days, I have no legitimate reason why it's taken me so long to read the second book. Maybe I was a little scared that the second wouldn't live up to the memories of just how much I enjoyed the first book.

Picking up where The First Days left off, Fighting to Survive is more focused on building a survivor community, consolidating relationships and exploring the darker side of humanity rather than fighting off the undead hordes, although that doesn't mean that there is a lack of zombie action. As the survivors take the hotel, and then deal with some very unsavoury characters from the surrounding town the action is pretty much non-stop, but with enough time to get to know the characters better.

Jenni is a bit of a loose cannon, and her behaviour swings from an emotional mess to a kick-arse zombie killer, but it's probably how quite a few people would react in such a stressful situation. Katie continues to keep her head but also struggles with accepting what has happened and moving on, all of which is amplified by the zombie threat, and the friendship between the two women continues to grow. This may be the feature that makes the As the World Dies series unique, but it's the other things that make it so good.

I wasn't sure about her in the first book, but in Fighting to Survive, I really came to like and respect Nerit. She's the kind of lady I'd want in my survivor community, and not just because she's a wicked shot, but because she can put her emotions aside and focus on the job at hand.

As always in Rhiannon Frater's books, the characters are what really make this series stand out from the crowd. The zombies are scary, the fight scenes intense and the situations that the characters find themselves in are both creative and unique, but it's the characters that really had me loving this book, because they are so three dimensional. They are also flawed, which makes them more human - there's nothing worse than characters in zombie novels that don't know how to shoot a gun and the next day are expert snipers.

I didn't feel any kind of 'second-book syndrome' when reading Fighting to Survive. Instead, I loved that the characters grew and that the survivors really worked at making a home for themselves, despite the horror around them. Another one for my zombie recommendations list!