Format: Paperback|Change

The book picks up the plot from the exact point Original Sin finishes, there is very little recapping so it is essential to read the previous books first in order to fully appreciate the plot and interactions. The amount of guilt the three main characters apportion to themselves at the start was a little annoying but understandable. Each of them feeling responsible for their current situation. Touches of sarcastic humor lighten the guilt ridden tension.
One of the things that stand out with this series for me is Lisa's ability to tell the story from 3 different viewpoints, each picking up the story a the exact point the previous character left it off. I did feel that Gabe abused his position of protector in a way. Although Frannie needed his calming presence and her need to gain peace where contributing factors; it is Gabe's actions that cross the acceptable boundary. It made me angry as I think that men that take advantage of women who are in a vulnerable state are little more than scum.

There are plenty of twists and turns alongside an explosion of revelations that leave you wondering why you didn't pick up on these points earlier as the clues are there and the way the plot unraveled made perfect sense.

The way in which the characters both main and peripheral grow and develop is a credit to Lisa's writing talent. Although some aspects of the plot were unexpected they worked brilliantly in context of the story as a whole tying every single outstanding plot thread together.

The action and emotion kept the pace flowing quickly, there were times when I couldn't turn the pages fast enough in order to find out what happened next.

I cannot help comparing the religious aspects to the Fallen series by Lauren Kate (big fan here) re-enforcing the idea that not everything can be viewed in black and white there are shades of grey in everything and everyone. The main thing is everyone has a choice, we choose the type of person we want to be not matter what circumstances we have been raised in.
This book really does provide a fantastic end to the trilogy. I loved it.
VINE VOICEon 10 September 2012
I was incredibly lucky to win the last ARC of Last Rite from Lisa Desrochers herself many months ago now and I immediately devoured the book in one sitting. I'm a HUGE fan of this book series and it goes without saying that if you haven't read Personal Demons or Original Sin, please go no further as you will encounter spoilers.

If you're still with me, you'll know that this is the last book in the trilogy which makes it a bittersweet reading experience. I mean, I was dying to know what happened but desperate for it not to end at the same time. Luc had me from his very first line in Personal Demons and I've loved him ever since.

Last Rite picks up exactly where Original Sin left off with Frannie, Luc and Gabe on the run from Lucifer and his minions. Lucifer wants Frannie and will stop at nothing until he has her so that he can use her sway to his own end. Everyone is lying in order to save each other and at times, you'll want to knock their heads together. Gabe is becoming human, Luc is frustrated at still being human as it renders him helpless and Frannie would probably like to be just human at this point! In the midst of everything, Lucifer manages to trick Frannie into going home and then the mother of all showdowns comes into play. A lot of authors joke about killing off their characters and how "everyone dies in the end". It's kind of not far from the truth but in a book about heaven and hell, it's not necessarily being dead that matters but what side you're on ;)

Prepare to laugh, cry and generally be a mess by the end of this book. Last Rite if full of angst and incredible tension with nonstop action and a sense of profoundness. With one of the best endings I've ever read, this book will give you ALL THE FEELS and then some. I'm gutted to see the end of this series and I'm still hoping that Lisa might revisit it one day but in the meantime, I want to say thank you to her for writing the story as I've loved every minute of it.