5.0 out of 5 stars An endearing tale of time travel and hope.
Published on 15 Feb. 2013 by Willy Eckerslike

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read
Published on 17 Jan. 2013 by Pauline Butcher Bird

5.0 out of 5 stars An endearing tale of time travel and hope., 15 Feb. 2013
Willy Eckerslike (France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Bridge of Years (Paperback)
I have an image of Robert Charles Wilson as a kindly, well turned out gentleman of independent means sitting at his escritoire carefully penning a few well chosen words while the log fire burns cheerily and his over indulged cat lies curled on it's favourite armchair. This gentle novel has done nothing to dispel this pleasant vista. As with all Wilson's work that I've read, his character based style is heavily rooted in the earlier classics of the genre making for a pleasant and deeply satisfying read. The engagingly simple plot revolves around a house on a time travel network, its original occupant ten years ago, its lonely & disillusioned current occupant and his excursions to 1962 New York, a soldier from the future, lots of little machine bugs and, of course, the inevitable post-human creators of the time network. Some of his work's endings are a little confusing and seem rushed but in this case the ending is perfect; thought-provokingly ambiguous - simple but clever.

Being a great fan of the Hard SF and Space Opera sub-genres, it makes a lovely change to just get comfy and take a break from hectic action, multi-threaded plot lines, unpronounceable names and strange physics. As with `Blind Lake', my only negative comment regards the publishing; this novel is an American imprint and the poor quality paper is very thin - part of the pleasure of reading is the feel of the book in your hands and this book feels limp and flimsy. However, despite the `feel', I still thoroughly enjoyed `A Bridge of Years'; it is a mystery to me why RCW is not more widely read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great writing - as always, 2 Jan. 2014
M. Olbrich "SciFi Rules 1" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Bridge of Years (Paperback)
Wilson's handiwork is always good. Characters have depth, circumstances they 'live' in always logical, probable and without mistakes. Although you can (almost) guess how will the story develop you are still compelled to enjoy every aspect of the journey. It seems to me that this story would yield itself to at least one great sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really quite good, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: A Bridge of Years (Kindle Edition)
Ok so it's not Spin but you can really feel him finding his unique and compelling style in this book. It's a page turner

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: A Bridge of Years (Paperback)
I give this book three stars simply because it is not really my genre, a bit of fantasy and futuristism as well. However, I have to say it is almost a year since I read it and many of the scenes remain clearly in my mind which cannot be said for most books I read. The metal 'ants' that swarm through the rented house are extremely convincing and eerie, the 'blown-away-and-eaten' figure in the shed is satisfactorily disgusting, and the tunnel under the house with its solid wall at the end that somehow leads to the 1960s made me hold my breath. But it is the description of 1960s New York that I found the least convincing part of the book perhaps because I was there too and it did not fit my experiences.

I recommend this book if you're seeking escapism. It's a well told and compact story.
Freak Out! My Life with Frank Zappa by Pauline Butcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Stayed in my mind, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: A Bridge of Years (Kindle Edition)

Freak Out! My Life with Frank Zappa

A Bridge of Years
A Bridge of Years by Robert Wilson (Paperback - 6 Dec. 2011)