4.0 out of 5 stars Science Fiction From Our Century
Published 7 months ago by John M. Ford

1.0 out of 5 stars what a let down !
Published 6 months ago by John Haylock

4.0 out of 5 stars Science Fiction From Our Century, 11 Dec 2013
John M. Ford "johnDC" (near DC, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
There are thirty-four science fiction stories in this book, all published in or since the year 2000. If you both of the "Best of the Year" collections you will have seen seven or eight of them before. They were selected as the best of our century by David Hartwell and Patrick Hayden. I am not familiar with the second editor, but this volume meets my expectations for a Hartwell anthology. Most of the stories are good and I actually learn something about the author from the one-page-or-so introduction to each story.

Here are seven that stood out:

Vandana Singh's "Infinities" follows Abdul Karim through his life, with occasional side trips into the realm of mathematics where he finds refuge from it. A bonus for readers is how much we learn about the actual mathematics of infinity and prime numbers.

Paolo Bacigalupi's "The Gambler" shows us future tools for mining global information flow and the kind of audiences, reporters and celebrities who are shaped by them. There is still room for more than one view of what is important.

John Scalzi's "The Tale of the Wicked" evokes those feelings we sometimes have that our office computers are really running things--and that their errors are intentional.

Mary Robinnette Kowal's "Evil Robot Monkey" asks whether animals are made more human by increasing their intelligence or by increasing our empathy.

Daryl Gregory's "Second Person, Present Tense" is one of those teen identity stories with a bratty, first person narrator. Actually, it's the second person, in the first person. But the first person isn't in there anymore. Much. Anyway, she really hates her parents.

Yoon Ha Lee's "A Vector Alphabet of Interstellar Travel" is a reference book from the far future. It classifies several alien civilizations by their methods for moving through space. Many of these methods are intimately related to their civilizations' core values.

Elizabeth Bear's "Tideline" portrays the parental relationship between a boy and a damaged robot struggling to remember the past with honor.

I recommend the collection as worth buying, reading, and keeping.

1.0 out of 5 stars what a let down !, 29 Dec 2013
John Haylock (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
apart from Peter Watts award winning literary gem of a story 'The island'...which is one of the best SF short stories of recent times, nothing else in this hefty round up comes close, in fact the majority of these stories i wouldn't even class as SF. Boring, unimaginative and bereft of any sense of wonder, this collection left me decidedly antagonistic toward what constitutes good SF nowadays.......purchase at your peril....

Twenty-First Century Science Fiction
Twenty-First Century Science Fiction by David Hartwell (Hardcover - 1 May 2013)
18.20