5.0 out of 5 stars A triumphant finale to the series, despite a few missteps
The Wheel of Time is finished. That's a statement that's going to take a while to get used to. The first volume of the series, The Eye of the World, was published in January 1990. George Bush Snr. and Margaret Thatcher were still in power and the Cold War was still ongoing. Fourteen books, four million words, eleven thousand pages and over fifty million sales (in North...
Published on 8 Jan. 2013 by A. Whitehead

3.0 out of 5 stars Memories Become Legend
As someone who has been reading The Wheel of Time saga right from the very beginning – that’s almost two dozen years of my life – writing a review of the final book was always going to be a bittersweet experience. Sad, inevitably, because, like it or not, the wheel has finally turned full circle and this really is the end; happy, hopefully, because the...
Published 2 months ago by Starreviewer

‹ Previous | 1 2 354 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of an epic, 12 Feb. 2013
Finally `The Wheel of Time' turns full circle. After over two decades and the death of the original author this immense saga reaches its end. After all this time is it worth the wait?

Any novel that comes at the end of a fourteen book series is going to have a pretty unique reception. Fans of the series will no doubt enjoy this long awaited conclusion but, even though it is well written and eventful, any reader foolish enough to read this book and not the others will have no clue what is going on. This is not a stand-alone novel.

The rewards for regular readers are great, however. Although the novel, despite being the final volume, still doesn't really feel it will reach any type of conclusion for the first half of it. There is plenty of action but it is generally all concerned with the back and forth of battle and strategy. It isn't until two thirds of the way through, with the start of a massive two-hundred page chapter, that the authors finally deliver on all they have promised in the previous books.

There have been so many characters in `The Wheel of Time' that inevitably not all of them get covered satisfactorily. The authors do a good job though in covering as many as they reasonably can. To cover the inexhaustible list of characters in entirety would mean that the book became lists and information dumps. Although there is a little of this it is thankfully and skilfully kept to a minimum. All the characters are dealt with in the depth they deserve considering their role in the epic. As to be hoped, Rand, Matt, Perrin, Egwene, Nyneave and Elayne all receive plenty of attention. In many ways the events of the final volume revolve around them and they are all given satisfying ends to their personal journeys.

Although the journey to reach the end of the saga has had its flaws along the way (ie too many characters to keep track of and some very long winded episodes where nothing really happens) the end result is all it was promised to be. Between the two writers they have produced a finale that fans of the series would have hoped for. This volume is also probably one of the better books overall (although the first three volumes are very hard to beat). The only negative is that it is a shame that Robert Jordan didn't live to witness the culmination of this fabulous saga he created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brandon Sanderson is my Hero!!!, 4 Feb. 2013
When I learned that the late Robert Jordan had passed away before finishing his epic I was distraught, I have been reading the wheel of time since I was 16 and couldn't imagine anyone else being able to complete a work as awe inspiring in its depth and complexity as the wheel of time is. When it was announced that a relatively unknown author had been chosen to complete the series I was at first skeptical but immediately went out and bought a few of his books to see what kind of writer he was. I was overjoyed to discover that his writing was as addictive as the late Mr Jordan. The 3 books that make up the completion of the series has been an absolute joy to read, i couldn't have dared hope that someone could do such a marvelous job. A memory of light is the crowning achievement of Brandon Sandersons work to date and he has done Robert Jordan proud; this may be wishful thinking or personal bias but i can't tell the difference between the writing styles of the two, the characters are just as rich and the world of WoT has eagerly embraced Mr Sanderson (May He Live Forever). Of course, now the series has reached its fabulous conclusion, i have to read the 14 books from the start which i plan to do in the summer, lying on a beach with copies of all 14 on a soon to acquire kindle. I fervently hope that this most absorbing of tales goes down in the annals of history as a classic, i absolutely adore it and all the people who helped bring it to its proper end. there aren't enough stars to rate it properly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant (mostly), 16 July 2013
Awesome. That's the one word that best sums up the finale to the Wheel of Time.
Since Brandon Sanderson took the reins the story's pace and surged forwards - that may have been Robert Jordan's intentions all along for this final part of the story, but still, it is good to have the story moving forward quickly again.
Almost the entire novel is about the last battle, and what an awesome battle it is. It is on a massive scale, and this shows why Robert Jordan's invested so much time (and pages) into the set up (with the massive world, kings, armies etc.). There are a few things though that don't fit quite right - for example, ***spoiler alert*** the scale of the Gateway that is opened to release the lava from Dragonmount is awesome, but this same tactic isn't used during the final battle itself. ***spoiler alert end*** Also, Matt constantly gets praised for his brilliant tactics, but none of these are actually described - what is he doing that is so brilliant?
The ending itself also leaves a little to be desired. I won't go into any spoilers, but after initially feeling very satisfied at the ending, I was left feeling annoyed at a couple of incidents - the type that don't really fit into a well finished story (not the type where loose threads are always left open - that's fine).
All in all though, a great finish to a fantastic, epic story. (It's just a shame that books 8-11 were so poor and filled with too much waffle that was superfluous to the story.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much in this book, 15 May 2014
Anyone who read up this far in the series is going to read this book anyway. I wouldn't say don't bother, there's some good stuff in it. But I think I was expecting it to be better.

Kinda torn on what star to give this book. I appreciate Brandon Sanderson had a difficult job to do. But I think he did better in the previous two books. There's too much crammed in here, and too much repetition in the battles. I broadly agree with most of the negative reviews in this regard. The 2nd half of this book lets it down especially. I think it could have been simplified much further and even split into two books.

But There lots of good idea's some great moments. and its worth reading for those alone. It feels like the balance is wrong. The end section is too short, the middle section too long. I'm a little disappointed in the ending, its not terrible, but its written lower standard than the rest of the book. It feels rushed.

Also I read the paper back version. Its poor quality. Its too narrow and the print too small. The quality of the paper isn't great either. I bought it because I had a voucher, and also I like to support the books. But I was really disappointed in this. I generally read a mix of hard back, paper back and eBooks. But is the worst quality I've seen in a long time. I hope this isn't a sign of the future of print.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just... damn. Epic., 11 Jan. 2013
Without a doubt, I expected this to be epic, but I wasn't prepared for the scale of the Last Battle. From pretty much the first page right up until the last chapter, A Memory of Light delivers hard hitting, complex and fast paced action sequences interspersed with pacy dialogue and characters who die frequently.

How on earth BS managed to write this I have no idea, but I would heartily recommend it.

Just... damn. Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy ending, 13 Jan. 2013
M. Cron (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is for both this book and for this series.

I can think of no other book or series of books that has left such an impression on me as the WOT series, from the moment I read EOTW about 15 years ago, I have been hooked, and despite some floundering in the middle of the series, as a body of work and imagination I believe it is without equal in the world of fantasy. It borrows themes and mythology from other series, other cultures and from our own history and melds them all into a world that I truly felt I could visualise and understand.

This final novel is pretty much everything it needed to be; a gigantic battle and a bringing together of all the myriad plots that have been building up over the last 13 books. Some of the endings feel a bit sudden given the time devoted to developing them throughout the series, but that is to be expected in a final novel. I was constantly surprised and saddened by the deaths in this book, particularly of primary characters that I would never have guessed wouldn't have made it to the end. However I felt that it was done well, and each of them made a lasting impression on me; some of the most heart wrenching deaths were of relatively small characters that we have known since the start.

Personally I would have liked a bit more time devoted to the epilogue, It's obvious that RJ wanted us to fill in the ending with our own imaginations, but it would have been nice to have been rewarded with some scenes from the amazing Fourth Age that comes about.

As mentioned in some of the other reviews, there is the odd moment where BS inserts a modern day phrase or word that jars with the rest of the book, but it is very easy to forgive this when you consider the herculean task the poor man had to take on. I think that he has done a superb job of bringing the series to a close and to all those who criticise I would ask you to consider how you would have felt had no-one wished to brave the storm and write an ending, and the story had forever been left unfinished...

A triumphant conclusion and a truly remarkable series.

Thank you Mr Jordan and thank you Mr Sanderson, the WOT has been a huge presence in my life, and I can barely express the sense of wonder and profound enjoyment that I have experienced through reading your story. I think that the tone of the reviews (ignoring the 1-star idiots with e-book rage) are testament to the affection with which both authors are held in the hearts of their fans.

Goodbye Rand, I'll miss you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great End to A Monumental Journey, 21 Sept. 2013
Like many Robert Jordan fans, I was sceptical when Brandon Sanderson took over the helm of finishing off the remaining books of the Wheel of Time after Mr Jordan's untimely death. However, I needn't have worried and I am so grateful that he managed to so with such accomplishment.

There's not subtleties in this last book, just battles - death, bloodshed, more death etc. but what do you expect at the Last Battle? I particularly liked the fact that characters we had grown to love (or loathe) over the years finally had their part to play in the final denouement.

A criticism of Sanderson's approach was the fact that he spread the last "book" over three books rather than just the one volume. However, with such an abundance of material and so many resolutions needed to be made, I can now see why this was necessary. In fact, the only problem I have in this last book is that everything seemed a bit rushed towards the end. When you have spent over 20 years getting to know characters and then their fate is mentioned so briefly, this was a little bit disappointing. Also, I would have liked another chapter at the very end to round everything off - that is why I have only given it 4 stars.

Overall, though, no complaints from me. Thank you Mr Jordan for the best fantasy franchise since Tolkien, and hats off to you Mr Sanderson for a creditable "taking up of the helm" for the last leg of the journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent final chapter, 15 Feb. 2013
Like everyone else, I couldn't contain my excitement when the book was finally released given the huge wait for the final chapter.. The book is essentially a huge battle and is the culmination of many sub plots throughout the series and I was very gratified to see some thrilling conclusions to these.

Whilst the battle scenes are exciting and invigorating, the amount of prose dedicated to them becomes just a tad tiresome/repetitive as you read through the book. I think Brandon should have introduced some more pauses and breaks in the battle scenes however I guess there was a lot of conclusions to squeeze in to the final book..

Overall, the book was excellent and finally brings the series to a climatic end which I have to say played out somewhat differently to what I had expected so well done to the authors for keeping us guessing till the last!

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last!, 27 Feb. 2013
There were times when I thought that I might not live long enough to reach the conclusion but I am very glad I did. The last 2 vols. (13 and & 14) are pure vintage Jordan. If one was cynical it seems that Mr Sanderson was asked by the publishers to e x p a n d the story to provide the publishers with more funds. Where the Jordan story moved with great pace and inventiveness, the padding was slow and honestly a bit pointless. I have heard that Jordan had mostly finished the story before his death ( the last 2 volumes)
I especially did not read Vol 13 before the arrival of vol14 and I am very gald I waited as it remindes me of my reading the first 6 vols one after the other. It is a shame that we had to wait so long for the quality. I would suggest that anyone who started now would be best advised to concentrate on the Jordan Vols and then go to the last 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's been a long time coming - it was worth the wait, 14 Feb. 2014
The first wheel of time book was published 24 years ago - now finally the end of the story appears in this book. It has been a long wait, and the size of this series is pretty big by anyone's standards.

I would guess most people looking at reviews of this book will have already invested a lot of reading time into reaching this close to the end of the series. If you are looking at this as a book to pick up without having read the preceding 13 than you probably want to think again. For those that have made the journey already, you will not be disappointed by this book. Cover to cover it is action packed detail of the last battle, even still there are some story lines that didn't get as much coverage as they could have, but I think Sanderson has done a masterful job of completing the series that Jordan started.

Well worth the read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 354 | Next ›

A Memory of Light: 14/14 (Wheel of Time)
A Memory of Light: 14/14 (Wheel of Time) by Brandon Sanderson (Hardcover - 8 Jan. 2013)
Used & New from: £4.01