4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new trilogy
As a huge fan of Steven I was wondering for a while what he'd hit back with after the completion of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I shouldn't have worried as in this, the Kharkanas series, he's travelled to an earlier period to bring the tales of that to the reader. Whilst a few of the cast are known to readers of the Malazan series its refreshing as you get to...
Published 24 months ago by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars a slog at times
As ever, Erikson's writing is dense, sometimes rambling, sometimes quite beautiful. Much of the book was interesting, even gripping, and it gave a useful insight into some of the subsequent major characters, and their origins and development. At times, though, it failed to hold my attention, and I found it dull and plodding. Getting through was more of a duty than a...
Published 6 months ago by Mr. K. H. Cobb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly contradictory beginning to a new series, 7 Aug 2012
For fans of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and the works of Ian Cameron Esselmont the history of the Tiste Andii, Edur and Liosan races has been hinted at in flashbacks and POV memories. This book looks at the history and indeed the "beginnings" of the races in some depth. Dissapointingly it does seem to suffer from the depth of backstory already known, and in trying to fit things together it seems to only go so far as contradicting a lot of what has gone before. Things we though we knew - Elder Gods, Elemental forces are hrown into some doubt, and characters like Rake and Draconus are only seen through the viewpoints of ancillary characters (and the novels token Crokus character).

For fans of the previous series this book will answer few questions, infact throwing more confusion onto 10 books worth of often cryptic material. Certain flashbacks now make no sense at all. Infact the well known timeline problem is now further exacerbated in places. Though well written throughout, there are perhaps too many different POV characters and the flow of the story suffers as a result. Also the focus is shared with the progenitors of the Imass and the Jaghut, so perhaps the Tiste story is watered down too much.

Fans of the previous series will take heart however, as although Gardens of the Moon was rather poor and confusing introduction to a series, the subsequent novels Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice were staggeringy brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darker but still pure Erikson, 22 Aug 2012
N. Offer (London) - See all my reviews
Erikson's writing does seem to be getting even darker, his characters more complex with even more shades of grey rather than good or evil. There are one or two bits of humour but certainly not the comraderie we have seen previously. Like two of my other favourite authors Abercrombie and Bakker, Erikson looks to be moving away from having characters that you naturally find yourself rooting for or who are the epitome of a hero. The problem with this is that it becomes hard to love characters and therefore care what happens to them, with this your emotional attachment to characters declines.

Having said the above, the writing style is still superb, Erikson manages to draw you in and gain your interest immediately. The book weaves intricate webs which are fascinating and you cannot help but want to find out what happens. It is a must read for anyone who has read the Malaz books, it provides answers whilst leaving you with yet more questions. For all the faults I still loved it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, 2 Nov 2012
Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont are my favourite current authors, so it was a joy when Mr Erikson's latest book hit the shelves. However, I am afraid this book did not live up to expectations,and I found it rather slow and rather tedious for large sections of the books. It did not compare to the great storytelling I had become used to in the books of the Malazan empire. I did finish the book and I am likely to read the rest of the trilogy, I just hope their content improves. It pains me to give Mr Erikson such a low rating on this review, as I normally find him a wonderful aurthor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not entertaining, 18 Aug 2012
J. L. Merritt "Jason Kent" (England) - See all my reviews
I have read and loved all of SEs and ICEs books (with exception of Toll the Hounds) and look forward to the next publication with zeal. However for the first time I'm struggling to carry on reading. I'm only half way through the book so maybe I'm going to be surprised but so far I've been bored stupid. Yes there has been a lot of scene building, character introduction and story building but I cannot find a single character I like or I'm interested in. The story in itself has little to offer and there is none of the humour or friendship associated with previous novels. so far so bored.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start, 27 Sep 2012
I just want more. Was like a comfortable blanket, with the familiar names, however I wanted to explore everything as it was all so new.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Forge of Darkness (Kharkanas Trilogy)
Forge of Darkness (Kharkanas Trilogy) by Steven Erikson (Hardcover - 18 Sep 2012)
Used & New from: 4.66