1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A Reality Check of Suffering in the Name of Education, 28 Dec 2011
Tina Brescanu (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Truancy (Tom Doherty Associates Books) (Hardcover)
Truancy by Isamu Fukui is a releasing read as well as a reality check of suffering in the name of education. This story is based in a fantasy world which makes the story more real, fantasy being a wider angle of truth. The violence is the severe symptom of a diseased city where Education rule and the students of Truancy finally fight back. I understand that the author found it easier to write his story being in school himself but you never forget school whether it was good or bad. I was a rebellious child and the sad state of the education system in the story matched the feelings I had about school. I didn't stay to fight though; I escaped.

Early school leaving does not necessarily lead to criminality. Truancy is an act of bravery; it's also an act of self love. Punishment for truancy in many countries, in the real world, proves that school is not an opportunity, it's an obligation. Thank God for the many countries acknowledging the right of parents to decide on homeschooling/unschooling if that's what a child needs instead of punishing a child that doesn't fit the one and only system to get through the start of life.

This book takes truancy to the next level in a fictional world, but it could be real. If we allowed young people to learn what they want in their own time we would have a better world. No one thrives being forced and although school suits some, it certainly doesn't suit all. If we fully understood the harm done we would release everyone into their own learning, anything else would be imprisonment and that's not what school is about, is it?

This book shows the dark corners of students forced to education in the name of production and paying one's way. It shows that life is not your own at all.

Having read through the reviews for this book, I understand school doesn't leave anyone unaffected, both for and against are entitled to their opinion. I was drawn to the book thanks to the title. I found the writing interesting and engaging. I understood the characters and the plot was good too, but then being an early school leaver, perhaps I'm not properly trained.

Tina Brescanu Author of Warriors of Change: Sentenced to School

Truancy (Tom Doherty Associates Books)
Truancy (Tom Doherty Associates Books) by Isamu Fukui (Hardcover - 4 Mar 2008)