4.0 out of 5 stars Good but was dragging in some parts
Published on 4 Mar 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Decently-written (if you don�t read Huff or Hamilton)
I purchased this book largely on the strength of Amazon readers' reviews, and I was disappointed. I can only assume that most of the reviewers were young (perhaps reviewers should be required to give their ages). What I found stimulating as a teen would not make my current late 20's reading list, and this book isn't in the four-to-five star range. I would consider it...
Published on 9 Jun 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but was dragging in some parts, 4 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I've been an avid fan of Mercedes Lackey for sometime. I read Jinx High before I read Children of the Night. Children really explained a lot of things that I didn't understand in Jinx High. I enjoyed the novel for the dark atmosphere yet it was riddle with humor. I really liked it. Vampires of the traditional and the pyschic! Magick and gypsies! Lackey was able to blend all of these wonderful elements with the grace of her words. Great Book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb novel....romantic and realistically frightening., 21 Nov 1997
By A Customer
I was sitting on the edge of my seat the entire read....I couldn't put it down! If you enjoy reading about the occult and like a little romance, you'll love this book. Mercedes Lackey has a real talent. "Children of the Night" was so paralyzingly realistic that I thought that it was, perhaps, based on a true story. It's surely the kind of book you want to read more than once. I'm definately going to read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Realism doesn't even begin to describe, 8 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This is as realistic as fiction can get. Like in Jurassic Park, if you accept the fact about the dinosaurs, everything else follows logically. In this book, if you accept psionic powers and sorcery, everything else naturally follows. This is definately (if that's how you spell it) a good read and one I suggest to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very awsome book!!!, 8 Dec 1998
By A Customer
My opinion is that Mercedes Lackey did a wonderful job on her book "Children Of The Night". I couldn't put the book down until I find out what is going to happen next. This book also had a wide variety of moods. It had passionate romances with a twist. The twist I say because a girl who has powers of magic falls in love with a handsome young looking French vampire and there is also some same sex romance. Don't get me wrong though, it is not perverted or nasty in anyway at all. It is pretty much clean in every way, so it is appropriate for all people. It also had suspense that you would not believe because in this book you don't know what kind of crazy or weird cool stuff will happen. For example, the main character, Di, would have a panic attack but thanks to her vampire friend, André`, helped her over come them. She ended up making here aura glow very bright like the sun. If you get into the story enough, it will make you be scared because the way Lackey describes how the poor victims feel and gives pretty good details about how they die. What I most love about the book is that it is so out there to the unknown. It deals with so many supernatural phenomenon's. This story deals with a vampire who spends time at libraries and opera houses during the day. His job is to protect a tribe called the Roms. Unfortunately the Rom children have been kidnapped by the bad guys and it's up to him and his friends to go save their lives. Di is cool because she some sort of witch called a Guardian who job is to help anyone who needs it. She has extraordinary powers, having the ability to feel what people feel, throwing psi volts and levin bolts, and protecting herself and others with her aura shield which can be transferred to someone else also. Keith and Lenny are the couple. They help there friends out a lot. They have the power to sense things. Now the bad guys, they are something called psivamps. They feed on the victims negative emotions; fear, sadness, hate, etc. pretty much. The gaki is some kind of Japanese demon cloud who takes human forms of anyone who gets eaten by it. It feeds on the soul of others and make them suffer tremendously to enjoy it's meal. Mater Jeffrey is the leader of the demons, the one behind it all. This is not even half of what they are capable of doing. With all these characters put together in New York City, it is one heck of a problem and adventure. I would suggest this book to anyone who likes romance,
suspense, action, adventures, or/and likes there heart to race. People who loves reading about strange and out of this world powers, witches, and vampires would get more out of it more though. Over all, this book is better than anything else that I have ever read. So if I was to rate it on a scale of one to ten, I would rate it a 12.

4.0 out of 5 stars Children of the night was not one of Lackey's best novels., 19 Nov 1998
By A Customer
Mercedes Lackey should have gotten to the point a whole lot quicker. She took too much time to introduce the characters. If she had gotten to the point quicker, then she would have gotten five stars from me. Although the characters were fairly good ones, they should not have taken so long to introduce. When Mercades got into the action portion of the book, the book bacame more than interesting. She keeps your attention very well. Over all, Children of the Night prooved to be a faily decent book

5.0 out of 5 stars My personal favorite, 21 Sep 1998
By A Customer
Children of the Night was the first Mercedes Lackey book I had ever read. Since then I have gobbled up every single book she has written with enthusiasm. Misty is surely one of the best if not THE best Fantasy author around. Di Trgarde is my favorite character in all of her many works followed closely by Kerowyn in the Vows and Honor series. If you are a fan of Misty, you will love this book. Please please please give it a try if you are not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely Entertaining, 20 May 1998
By A Customer
All books in the series are very entertaining. Couldn't put the book down. I, too, wish Ms. Lackey would write more in the series. I keep looking for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but I expect more from Lackey, 28 April 1998
By A Customer
I really enjoy Mercedes Lacky's books, and I am upset she seems to have abandoned the Tregarde series. I thought her departure from Valdemar and bards refreshing. If you like these, you will definately like the Laurell K. Hamilton "Anita Blake -- Vampire Hunter" series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read, hard to put down, 1 Mar 1998
By A Customer
It was very exciting to read and I was pleased with the favorable portrayal of Pagans in general, and especially Wicca. It was very time-line accurate and teaches a valuable lesson. I loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but have you seen it before?, 25 Mar 1997
By A Customer
"Children of the Night" handles the premise of a modern day witch well. Only problem I had is that is actually an expanded version of one of her stories that appeared earlier in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy Magazine. Still, the addition of subplots really helps clarify the storyline.

Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde Investigation)
Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde Investigation) by Mercedes Lackey (Paperback - Aug 2005)
10.28