5.0 out of 5 stars A long dead Irish King brought vividly back to life., 25 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Lion of Ireland (Celtic World of Morgan Llywelyn) (Paperback)
Out of the depths of Morgan Llywelyn's imagination and from the mists of our Celtic past comes King Brian. Llywelyn has succeeded, once again, to take a piece of Irish history and breath real life back into it. Taking the reader on a truly believeable, exciting and detailed experience. We see Brian as the small child over awed by his eldest brother. We see him grow into an awkward and impatient boy dreaming of life with his brother King. We share in his pain and rite of passage as he becomes a man, a warrior and, ultimately the strongest Ard Ri Ireland has ever known.
Llywellyn shows us his failings as well as his triumphs, his regrets and his cherished memories. Brian does indeed live his dream, a dream of a united Ireland but even he, a warrior and a King, cannot hold such a delicate thing together for very long.
If I seem to you to be passionate about this book then do not be mistaken, I am passionate and so too will you should you buy it, read it and treasure it.
The book entitled 'Lion of Ireland' read by me had a different illustration on the cover (A powerful Brian astride a war horse with Gormlaith sitting behind him holding a sword aloft) than the one shown. Therefore, I can only assume that these are the same book merely with differing illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for all Irish people, 3 July 2007
Joanna Barry "piscesgroove" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This was the first of Llyweyn's books that I read and I only picked it up initially because it was in the sale bin and I live on a street in Dublin called Brian Boru Avenue so thought it was a good enough reason as any.

My God I absolutely loved it, it gets going within the first couple of chapters and doesn't stop. Because I live in the place where Brian Boru fell I really felt taken back to that time and found myself so overwhelmed by this man's history and life. I'm a big fan of historical fiction and this is it at it's finest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full blooded historical fiction at its best, 13 May 2011
Brian Boru was a real historical character who lived in 10th century Ireland. As the best historical novelists do, Llwellyn has taken the facts we know about him and breathed them to life. And how! From the boy dreaming on the hill, to the young man taking power, to the old man preparing for his final battle, this is a full-blooded epic with three-dimensional characters. There is conflict on the battlefield and off it, a powerful momentum that kept me turning the pages breathlessly, all written in Llywelyn's earthy poetic style.

Although this is a work of historical fiction, it would probably appeal to fantasy fans as well, since it has many of the ingredients of the best fantasy: a strongly-drawn world, big themes, and larger-than-life characters.

Note: the blurb on the cover (at least the one I got) made the book sound like a bodice ripper. It's not. There are some sex scenes, but they not at all gratuitous.

Note 2: Llywelyn has also written Brian Boru: Emperor of the Irish, which is the children's version of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars captures the imagination, 8 May 2009
great read, had me hooked from the first page. Makes ancient history an enjoable read for both young and old.

Lion of Ireland (Celtic World of Morgan Llywelyn)
Lion of Ireland (Celtic World of Morgan Llywelyn) by Morgan (Paperback - 27 Jun 2003)
Used & New from: 3.09