4.0 out of 5 stars A well written introduction to the Java language
Published on 17 Sept. 2006 by Sara

3.0 out of 5 stars Review Beginning Java programming for Dummies
A 3 star book.

This book as per the introduction is for Beginners with no programming experience, but the author starts of with some complicated examples like reading keyboard input.

Published on 16 Dec. 2009 by BookFans

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A well written introduction to the Java language, 17 Sept. 2006
Sara (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies (Paperback)
I recently finished my MSc course, which involved extensive programming. When I began the course I didn't have a clue about what a program was and what the Java language was all about. To be honest I was never really a computer person. I purchased this book as I had to understand everything about Java programming. It provided a good introduction to the language and explained parts of a program really well. The book moved at a good pace introducing, classes, methods and instances. Before I knew it, I was programming in Java with confidence.

Since Java was the first hard core object orientated language I learnt, it became very easy for me to program in other languages such as C, C++, Python, Perl (a scripting language), Visual Basic and Fortran. I would recommend this book as an introduction to the language but once you grasp the basics, it would be useful to purchase Java 5.0 Illumintaed by Anderson and Franceschi as it provides advanced features of the language. Overall, it's worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT INTRODUCTION, 15 Sept. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is aimed at someone who is keen to learn programming, but who hasn't had much exposure to programming before (I had learnt a little BASIC as a schoolboy and that was it). Even for me, it seemed very simple, and I was a little impatient at first and nearly gave up after a few chapters because it was going on and on about very simple things you could do with numbers, etc. But I'm so glad that I read through to the end - as it started to make sense of Object Oriented Programming, which is not so easy to understand. I had been reading it alongside "Sams Teach Yourself Java 2 in 24 Hours", and this really emphasised how well this book was written. The Sams book covered very similar ground, but it was dry theory with examples that were not clearly explained. In this book, by contrast, the writer really seems to have at heart the intention to HELP the reader understand what is going on, and so every example is followed by a very simple explanation of what is happening. Sometimes it feels too simple, but this is FAR, FAR better than not providing enough explanation. You feel through this book that you are being guided and that nothing will be presented that is beyond your ability to understand. Tomorrow I'm going to get his follow-up book, which I hope will be as helpful in taking the next step.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good starter book for Java, 23 Oct. 2006
Mr. B. M. Taylor (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies (Paperback)
This book really does start with the basics, so if you already know a bit about programming it will possibly be too slow - However, if like me you need a refresher (after a 15 year break) or really are new to programming this is a good launch pad - don't be too disappointed that it does not leap straight into Windows, Icons, Mice, and Pointers and there are lots of text examples. It does get the message across very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Introduction to Java, 12 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies (Paperback)
I am a mature University student studying Web Development and Programming.I needed a gentle introduction to Java, and this book has provided just that.It takes the reader by the hand and introduces all of the basic concepts in an informative and uncomplicated manner (not an easy task).

The author is also very accesible.I had a problem with some code and he responded to my email within hours.(He pointed me to a posting on his Weblog which did just the trick).

I approached Java with some trepidation but thanks to Mr Burd I am now feeling very confident about tackling the more complicated issues.

I am also more than holding my own at University.I can`t thank the author enough.

An introduction to Java that I would highly recommend to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review Beginning Java programming for Dummies, 16 Dec. 2009
A 3 star book.

Most of the text has been designed, so that readers with no programming experience are able to learn this, however the examples are a bit complicated. Some of the example program run into errors after execution.

The author has not detailed anything about debugging, maybe because only the JCreator's Pro edition has got this feature. There is also no mention about exception handling.

There are a few examples missing in the zip file downloaded from the web. Also the author has zipped all the JCreators project and workfiles, whereas I was using eclipse and I had to delete these files.

Credit should go to the author for explaining ENUM types and enchanced FOR loops in a simple language. The author has missed the topic of exiting from the loop midway.

This book is ok, but definitely NOT for beginners with No programming experience as stated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, 26 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a really great introductory book to the world of Java. I had started a course that included some Java and was not finding the teaching to be adequate. So I bought this book and found that the concepts that I needed to understand were far easier to grasp after reading through some of the examples in the book. He uses really simplified material - how many gumballs for how many kids and so on - to explain what is going on, and when he is discussing a program in stages, he highlights in bold the particular points of the program that he is discussing at that moment. Additionally, I emailed the author about follow up books and got a reply in less than twenty four hours. Highly recommended and I'm looking forward to his next books.

3.0 out of 5 stars wrong layout, 18 July 2011
book is good for beginners who haven't touched any programming language at all but text formatting is all wrong. Missing parts of pictures and tables where all the important stuff is explained. Also many of the examples end up with compile error so they can't be run.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to both Java and programming, 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies (Paperback)
Coming from a background where I program occasionally at work I knew programming basics - but Java was completely new to me.

The book quickly got into basic programming and right from the start introduced working Java code.

By the end I felt that I could have gone away and programmed in Java using my newly learned language.

The only warning I would give is that those who are already fluent in another programming language might find the pace and diversions from the point a little laboursome. However for such a dry subject I feel that the approach might be better for those who are taking their first steps into programming.

So, if you are new to programming then this is ideal, but if you already program in other languages and are impatient to start then a more advanced book may be better suited.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful which version you buy, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies (Paperback)
I puchased this version by mistake - it ancient - written in 2005 - you need to get the 2011 3rd edition. I just binned it. Why does Amazon still sell this version !!! - just wasted all this money

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent introduction to programming, 1 Feb. 2011
s "s" (north west) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies (Paperback)
I purchased this book for my Son who was leaving his job in I.T.Support to go to University.His Uni Course includes Programming which he has never done.He has found this book to be excellent and well written in assisting his learning.It shows little examples and exercises which encourage you to attempt Programming,all of which he found stimulating and beneficial.This book has only grown his eagerness to get to Uni and onto the Course.Highly recommended as a very good value for money educational tool.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies
Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies by Barry Burd (Paperback - 15 April 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01