Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 November 2008
I ordered this a book a while back if only to see how one could distil such a vast subject into a For Dummies manual. The book certainly covers a lot of ground on Wicca, Witchcraft and Paganism, but its only fault is in the subject matter; the writing is excellent, simple and informative, but as it concerns such a diverse subject I find the `neutral' approach to lack in the justice each facet of the belief/lifestyle/religion deserves.
It is an admirable, and successful, attempt at stepping back and stripping away the superfluities you find in different versions of the craft, much like stripping away top layers of an onion to see what's at the centre of it all. In that the author was most successful; the foundation of the craft is here, the building tools. I'd highly suggest this book for someone looking into the truth about Paganism, perhaps to dispel many of the misconceptions concerning it and certainly to enlighten the reader as to the (reasonably) mundane and grounded practices which constitute Paganism itself.
That said I see it as being of little use to a practicing Pagan, though I don't believe that the purpose of the material is to educate existing Pagans but to provide a sound, solid concept of what the Pagan faiths truly are, the differences between them all, the common beliefs they all share and perhaps to serve as a reference book for anyone interested in pursuing/ studying the craft itself, in any of its many incarnations. In all this the author was highly successful and Wicca and Witchcraft for Dummies makes for an excellent book even just to have in your library, if your interest lies in such things; though were anyone looking for more specific and detailed information on different aspects of the craft itself I'd suggest finding a less all-encompassing work which focuses on one path in particular.
On the other hand, this book is a must-have for anyone of the belief that Paganism is a blank canvas which can be defined by the individual, rather than the individual being defined by the faith.
on 8 July 2008
I got this book out of the library (it was the only book available on Wicca or the occult etc there) and was very suprised at the content. I expected a wishy-washy sort of beginners course on Wicca but that wasn't what I found! The book is packed full of information on every aspect of the Craft and I found it very informative. The chapter written on the sabbats and esbats was very detailed, very good. The author is quick to dispell any bad stories you may have heard about Wicca and Witchcraft and leads you onto to a great read, packed full of everything you could want. I would recommend this for beginners only though, as some of the information although extensive, can be repeatitve of things you already know.
on 12 June 2012
I bought this book to help me get a background knowledge of Wicca, rather than a deep insight. Yet when I began to read, the detail and accuracy of the book was amazing. The explanations are brilliant and make a somewhat difficult topic much easier to understand. 10/10 for the author!!
on 17 April 2009
I got this book- as more of a novelty item- as I was so surprised that the 'for dummies' series even had a book to do with Wicca...To my great joy- this book is actually excellent. It will be a good book for any new wiccan, experianced wiccan, and especially for those curious about wicca and witchcraft. It contains easy to follow and thorough information, and it educates those still clouded by steriotype relating to the craft/wicca/witches.
A must have for anyone, except maybe the religiously stubbon.
on 5 July 2010
I purchased this for my 24 year old niece. I didn't actually read it just flicked through to check it would be informative enough. I do have an understanding of Wicca so couldn't review the book as a complete novice would, but still feel it would be a good introduction. However my nieces feedback was in its favor.
on 1 August 2013
As a 15 year old wiccan I would recommend this book for anyone who wants a detailed walkthrough of the craft... I was surprised to see that not only does it explain rituals but the history of wicca and even the different types of Coven' s. The book helped me to decide weather to be a solitary witch or not too because it lists so many pro's and con's... I would definitely give this to any starting out witch or even an experienced one! Although the book is completely black and white inside and it is incredibly thick so I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone that doesn't enjoy reading :) blessed be )0(
on 21 February 2013
I've only started looking into Wicca and feel that I have learnt a few things from this book. I would say that I have used this book in conjunction with other books and has given me good knowledge to start on my personal journey,
on 15 November 2010
Weather you just curious about the craft or a beginner wanting to find more information or if your thinking of of following the Wiccan path then this book is for you!
I highly recommend this book Diane Smith talks you through everything you need to set on the right path for learning about the craft from the history to how to properly draw an invoking or evoking pentagram to how to cast a circle! She explains everything in layman's terms there's even a section devoted to the tools you will need and there uses, proper eticate, how to design a ritual or spell and tips to help you decide weather to join a coven or be a solitaire!
I have found this book very useful it has explained a lot that had before left my brain frazzled and needing a cup of tea! As a newbie to the craft I highly recommend this book as part of your studying
on 2 March 2013
bought this for my boyfriend so he would understand. i read it first and its a lovely book that explains in terms everyone can understand. i love the author her other books are great
on 17 February 2015
this book is awesome. I bought it after reading another one which leapt into practice a bit too soon without explaining everything. This book, on the other hand, is really very well written, balanced, and clear. It actually made the first book make sense! I heartily recommend this for a real newcomer to Wicca, it's a great starting point.