5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try!
What you get out of this book will largely depend on your experience. I have been asked for my new job to do a course in Electrical/Electronic Engineering.
I have no prior knowledge and joined the course a month late. I'm now doing ok in the course and it's with no small ammount of thanks to this book.
It's a brilliant into to Electronics, but Electronics only...
Published on 31 Mar 2006 by Mr. R. Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars Real basic, and in American.
Published on 29 Sep 2006 by T. Penfold

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try!, 31 Mar 2006
This review is from: Electronics for Dummies - US Edition (Paperback)
It's a brilliant into to Electronics, but Electronics only. Depending on your course you will need a separate book for Electrical principles which isn't really covered here. I'd recommend a John Bird book for that.
This book is a really easy intoduction to the subject and at this price would definately suggest you look at it if you want a pretty thorough introduction based at beginner level.

3.0 out of 5 stars Real basic, and in American., 29 Sep 2006
T. Penfold "Penfold" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electronics for Dummies - US Edition (Paperback)
Not a bad book. Really basic - as you would expect from a "for dummies" book. The sense of humour can get a little tiresome but they are trying to make it light and easy to read. It is basically perparing you to do electronics projects at home, (building simple circuits and stuff). Includes descriptions of the basic electronic components, help on soldering and making your own PCBs.

I thought I spotted some mistakes, (4 on one page!). On one page anodes are positive, on the next they are negative.

Note that the units, and symbols are American and not always the same as British. They don't have crocodile clips, they have alligator clips. That made me laugh.

On the whole, I though it was good for beginners or even just to brush up on some basic knowledge. Good to keep for reference to formulas and things to.

2.0 out of 5 stars Its ok, but not enough detail, 3 Jan 2007
M. Caswell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electronics for Dummies - US Edition (Paperback)
This book is a really easy read (not unexpected from a "For Dummies" book). It gives a very good overview on the subject and covers a lot of ground (e.g. how to get a company to make up your own PCBs; how to use an oscilloscope etc). For me though it just isn't detailed enough in the basics. I am a complete novice and hoped to be able to start building some basic circuits of my own from this book. I now understand at a high level what all the basic components do, and can construct a circuit from a schematic. I do not however feel I have enough information to design a circuit of my own beyond the very very simple.

Often schematics are presented with only cursory explanations of how they work. This did not help me really get under the covers of what was going on, and understand why the circuit behaved as it did.

The book is clearly written for an American audience, with lots of hints and tips about where to source supplies from in the US. Completely meaningless to me in the UK! I found this quite irritating after a while.

In summary its ok if you want a high level look at the subject. If you want more than that though I'd look elsewhere. I have just ordered another book, to see if I get any further with that one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book recommended, 25 Mar 2009
Jakob Laler "JL" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electronics for Dummies - US Edition (Paperback)
Clear and easy-to-grasp instructions for beginners as well as more professional students of electricity. The best thing is that there are some humor sneaked in as well which kind of helps when dealing with a field full of abstract theoretical and practical procedures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electronics for Dummies, 24 Jun 2009
S. Lee (London. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electronics for Dummies - US Edition (Paperback)
All very understandable - even if you didn't do GCSE Physics.
For someone like me it has been ideal. I can handle a soldering iron and repair guitar electronics, but needed to know how to take things further and design my own parts. So this book starts from the very begining ,explaining what electricity is and how it can be controled using various components and circuits.One word against it would be that it is written from a North American perspective - something to be aware of when voltages are discussed.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but..., 22 Aug 2006
S. Webster (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electronics for Dummies - US Edition (Paperback)
Not bad, but I think there are better books out there. Needs more detail in some areas.

3.0 out of 5 stars okay I guess, 14 Nov 2005
Mr. E. T. Williams (runcorn, cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electronics for Dummies - US Edition (Paperback)
Perhaps a bit too patronising if you're not a total novice. It seems to go into great detail on some areas whilst skimping on others. Or maybe I'm just too >dumb< to understand...?

Electronics for Dummies - US Edition
Electronics for Dummies - US Edition by Earl Boysen (Paperback - 4 Feb 2005)
Used & New from: 1.19