4.0 out of 5 stars does what it says
A very easy to follow guide to garageband. I haven't read the other books to draw an even comparison but this got me off and starting in GB. If you want to start somewhere this is probably the best place. I'm not a big fan of the quips and jokes in these books but the information contained is clear and easy to understand
Published on 22 Dec 2007 by B. S. Barker

1.0 out of 5 stars Rather out of date - and not much info on GarageBand
Unfortunately this was not what I was looking for.

Published on 8 Nov 2009 by Nige

4.0 out of 5 stars does what it says, 22 Dec 2007
B. S. Barker "brendanbe" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GarageBand For Dummies (Paperback)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rather out of date - and not much info on GarageBand, 8 Nov 2009
This review is from: GarageBand For Dummies (Paperback)
Unfortunately this was not what I was looking for.

The book refers to the 2004 version of GarageBand. Also I found that there is insufficient coverage of the capabilities of GarageBand itself. The book focusses more on using Garageband (and other Mac software) for home recordings and goes into detail on subjects such as selection of recording hardware. There is very little on building tunes using loops (which is what I was looking for).

4.0 out of 5 stars GarageBand For Dummies, 16 Jan 2010
Mr. C. A. Ellis "On the Fence" (Up North/UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GarageBand For Dummies (Paperback)
The reason I bought this book - apart from the obvious (wanting to learn more about Garageband!):
1. I've a couple of other "for Dummies" books and generally found them pretty good.
2. Amazon offered a fantastic deal price at the right time....
Its an easy read in so much as it doesn't bog you down in in too much over-techie stuff so you end up getting quite absorbed in it. The writer has a nice humourous touch too helping the read. There's no better way to learn how to use a program than to immerse yourself in it completely and that works for me and so I found as I read the book I already knew quite a lot. However it does offer some great tips and excellent suggestions to get the best out of Garageband. I found the website recommendations very helpful which being very up to date actually helped considerably more.
I've not read any other Garageband publications so I really can't quantify it against others and my only mixed thoughts are that there is a fair amount of repetition throughout which on one hand can be really helpful as its continually getting info into your mind, but I found it a little annoying. All in all though I don't regret buying/reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars more to do with producing than......., 11 Dec 2009
Mr. Steven T. Hawkins "Steve Hawkins" (Didcot, Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GarageBand For Dummies (Paperback)
Found this book useful but did find it focussed a lot more on creating music using live instruments and getting them layed down into garageband. I was looking for something more geared towards mixing looped music. Still a good read.

ARRAY(0xb5e84900)

GarageBand For Dummies
GarageBand For Dummies by Bob LeVitus (Paperback - 27 Aug 2004)
Used & New from: 4.31