5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal clear
I bought this book because i was thinking of going back to church. I wanted something that would lead me through the doctrine and thought that this might help me come to terms with it.

I am stunned by how useful this book is. I would recommend it to any one who is thinking about being a member or who has already become one.

The book is full of...
Published on 2 Jun 2008 by Alexander

1.0 out of 5 stars typical Mormon propaganda disguised as impartial guide
This book describes the main tenets of Mormonism: polytheism, polygamy, racism, baptism for the dead, Mormon rituals etc.
It is easy to read, but deliberately dishonest in many points.
Published on 19 April 2012 by a Christian family

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal clear, 2 Jun 2008
This review is from: Mormonism For Dummies (Paperback)

The book is full of sterling facts presented in a manner that is quite exciting. Details of some of the themes are thought provoking, challenging, controversial and the book never misses a beat. There are details here that I was in the dark about. This book has brought them to the surface and gems they are too!

I could not put the book down for very long. It was on and off the shelf and will be because the book I think should have been made an essential buy by the church!! I will reread it again and again.

I learnt more here than I did in one year of investigators classes (sunday school at a meeting house). BUY IT you will not regret it. Would make a remarkable gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful book, 17 Feb 2009
Nevada (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mormonism For Dummies (Paperback)
as with most of the For Dummies books, this one is written in a very clear and concise way. it covers pretty much all areas of the LDS faith in an open and honest way.
i have read a lot of books on this subject and i think this is definitely the best introduction to the subject i have come across. highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, accurate and fair, 13 Jun 2007
Mr. P. G. Cartwright (Ilford, Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mormonism For Dummies (Paperback)
As a non-Mormon attracted to Mormonism, I had until now been puzzled by a number of the faith's characteristics, despite having attended Mormon services for four months and having read various books on the subject. Not only is 'Mormonism for Dummies' very easy to read, but it is also thorough and open in the topics considered. The authors are Latter-day Saints (Mormons), but they do not shy away from controversial aspects of the faith such as polygamy, the historical reliability of the Book of Mormon, and the Mountain Meadows Massacre. Often I don't complete non-fiction books as I get bored or irritated, but I found this book so well-written and balanced that I had no trouble getting through it. I also felt that I gained some insights into the lives of Latter-Day Saints. I remember meeting two 20-year old missionaries at the local chapel and wondered what their lives were like and why they were spending two years in a foreign country away from their families. It was also strange for a 55 year old man (me) to be addressing 20 year olds as 'Elder'! Now I understand what motivates them and have an idea of what they go through. On having completed the book, I have increased my admiration for the Mormons, and would be in a good position to counter any ill-informed criticism I may come across. If you want to find out about this family-oriented faith, this is an excellent introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good introduction, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Mormonism For Dummies (Paperback)
a very comprehensive summary of the mormon faith for an enquirer like me. makes this religion very appealing and easy to understand

1.0 out of 5 stars typical Mormon propaganda disguised as impartial guide, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Mormonism For Dummies (Paperback)
It is easy to read, but deliberately dishonest in many points.
Throughout the book the authors say that the Mormon god has one wife, while, standard Mormon theology teaches that he is a polygamist (Journal of Discourses vol 13 page 109, the Seer by LDS Apostle Orson Pratt). This is the reason why they believe there are so many spirit children that have been waiting for a body of flesh and bones.
The Mormon "Jesus" is a polygamist too, and according to early Mormon leaders was crucified for this reason. (Journal of Discourses vol. 2 page 210, vol. 1 page 345).
Polygamy, according to early Mormons, was compulsory to become a god (Journal of Discourses page 11 page 269), so God and Jesus must have practiced it.

The authors also claim that the celestial hope for Mormons is to become like god while the most important Mormon revelation, Section 132 of Joseph Smith's Doctrine and Covenants, teaches that the Celestial Mormon hope is to become a god.
Men and women in Mormonism are spiritually unequal and women cannot have the same "privileges" after death.
The best hope for a man is to become a god, reign over his own kingdom and be worshipped by his children.
The best hope for a woman, that according to Doctrine and Covenants 132:62 is nothing but a belonging, is to become one of his unnamed wives, eternally pregnant. Nobody will worship her and she cannot be the main god.
For this reason, as the authors write in page 129, a widower who marry another wife has the power to spend his eternity with both wives, a widow can marry a second husband only for time. Being a property and a goddess by reflection, she cannot spend her eternity with both husbands.
Being spiritually inferior, according to Mormonism, she is not capable to love more than one husband.

In page 221 the authors describe the typical Mormon missionaries' alleged reaction when asked about polygamy. They imply that they look unconfortable.
I spoke to many missionaries and when I asked about polygamy, they were not uncomfortable at all. They always are very professional and polite, and usually say that there were more women than men and polygamy was a temporary sacrifice for the restoration. (lying for the Lord is a strategy promoted by the LDS Church).
When they are showed Doctrine and Covenants section 132, they admit that polygamy is a holy practice and the purpose of God for the human race.
They know that the practice is only suspended and it will be reinstated with the Second Coming of Jesus.(Mormon Doctrine, by LDS Apostle McConkie, page 578).They are not bothered about that.
The reaction that the authors described is typical among LDS women, though. They usually cannot accept that the monogamous families in their Church are the result of a political compromise (1890 Manifesto by Woodruff) and that Mormon men are still polygamist at heart.

In page 223 there is an attempt to show early Mormon women strong and indipendent.
The authors wrote: "Strong women who believed in the nobility of their cause didn't appreciate being described as oppressed or delusional. According to custom of the time, first wives sometimes initiated the discussions about bringing home a new wife into the family and tipically had to approve of the new marriage".
LDS prophet Brigham Young had a different opinion on this matter:
"But it is not the privilege of a woman to dictate the husband , and tell who or or how many he shall take, or what he shall do with them when he gets them, but it is the duty of a woman to submit cheerfully" Brigham Young Journal of Discourses vol. 17 page 159.
Doctrine and Covenants 132:64 openly predicted the fate reserved to disobedient women:
They would be destroyed. These women did not act out of strenght, but out of fear and submission.
Furthermore, the approval of the first wife was not always compulsory.
If she had refused without a good reason the Church would have performed the new marriage anyway. ("Mormon Polygamy: a History" by LDS scholar Wan Vagoner; his book reports early leaders' commands and early LDS literature).
Young wives were usually forced by their devout Mormon parents; this was the case with the youngest of Joseph Smith's wives, Helen Mar Kimball, daughter of the apostle Heber and relative of one of the authors.
She was 14 at the time of her marriage and at the beginning she abhorred polygamy. His father, husband of 40 wives, taught her that her eternal salvation dipended on her marriage to the "prophet"(had she refused, she would have been destroyed by the "Lord")
So, she eventually became a strong promoter of polygamy.

In page 224, in an attempt to show that polygamy was not about sex and that men did not live in harems, the authors tell us that most polygamous men had only a couple of wives or so, and each wife had her own house.
According to D&C 132, the practice of concubinage is portrayed in a positive way: and a concubine is a servant and a sexual object (the fact that a plural wife had a home of her own, and in many "families" there was "only" a couple of wives rather than 30 or 40, did not change her status).
Heber Kimball, ancestor of one of the authors, openly described his wives as numbers and objects to increase his own kingdom.
His words are in Journal of Discourses vol 5 page 22:
"I would not be afraid to promise a man who is sixty years of age, if he will take the counsel of brother Brigham and his brethren, that he will renew his age. I have noticed that a man who has but one wife, and is inclined to that doctrine, soon begins to wither and dry up, while a man who goes into plurality looks fresh, young and sprightly.
Why is this? Because God loves that man, and because he honours His work and word. Some of you may not believe this; but I not only believe it - I also know it. For a man of God to be confined to one woman is small besiness; for it is as much as we can do now to keep up under the burdens we have to carry; and I do not know what we should do if we had only one wife apiece."
And also, in Jornal of Discourses vol 4. page 209:
"Supposing that I have a wife or a dozen of them, and she should say, 'You cannot be exalted without me', and suppose they all should say so, what of that?... Suppose that i lose the whole of them before I go into the spirit world, but that i have been good, faithful man... do you think i will be destitute there. No, the Lord says there are more there than thereare here... there are millions of them... we will go to brother Joseph (Smith) and say, ' Here we are brother Joseph; we are here ourselves are we not, with none of the property we possessed in our probationary state, not even the rings of our fingers' He will say to us, 'Come along, my boys, we will give you a good suit of clothes. Where are your wives?' 'They are back yonder; they would not follow us'. Never mind', says Joseph. 'Here are thousands, have all you want'".

Mormonism For Dummies
Mormonism For Dummies by Christopher Kimball Bigelow (Paperback - 25 Feb 2005)