5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening
Published on 3 April 2003 by Mavikaya

3.0 out of 5 stars CD was a burnout alright
I give the book 4 stars but the CD only 2 stars, this averages out at 3 stars. I thought I would pick up on a few more meditative ideas for the hard to hit parts. I think in general any new starter would pick up on some points, but if you are looking to advance in this then go for something stronger.
Published on 10 July 2011 by jammy person

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 3 April 2003
This review is from: Meditation For Dummies (Paperback)
At last a book to suit my needs! I have bought many books on meditation. Most of them were too hard to understand or plain just too religious for me. I never intended to join any kind of religion, I just wanted to learn how to meditate. This is the perfect book for that. It explains the different currents, the different ways of meditating and the major difficulties that arise once started. Really a revealing book that answered all my questions and permits me to meditate without joining a monastery!

5.0 out of 5 stars relaxed just reading it!, 5 Jan 2008
This review is from: Meditation For Dummies (Paperback)
This is book draws on basic aspects of many of the disciplines and demystifys some of the potential compents of meditation/chanting/relaxation that can make the person with a lack of understanding of its benefits uncomfortable. It does not promote any particuar method in achieving the ultimate goal but allows, quite simply the reader to cherrypick the ideas that his lifestyle will allow. Its straightforward approach, coupled with its well laid out chapters and practical guidance on the CD really helps in achieving steps towards accomplishment with out despondancy. This author has his feet firmly on the ground, a sense of humour and insight into many of the common traits found in the average person.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE book for beginners, 10 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Meditation For Dummies (Paperback)
If you are new to meditation and want a book that tells you how - then this is it. It does not avoid the spiritual or historical background but it does concentrate on the practical issues of actually "doing" meditation. It also has enough information on various forms of meditation to enable you to decide for yourself what is best for you. You can then go to a more specialised book for further instruction.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: Meditation For Dummies (Paperback)
Firstly, let me preface this with the following points:

1) I am a complete beginner in terms of meditation.
2) I have not read the book cover to cover.

My reasons for buying this book may be similar to yours, they may not. I was looking for a way to reduce stress/anxiety/depression by calming my mind so I thought I would investigate meditation. Not having a clue where to start, it seemed obvious to get the Dummies book as I have always thought them useful introduction books which are often packed with enough information for you to feel like you're getting a lot of value out of it.

This book is no different. There's a vast amount of information in there. Some things you may find useful, others you may not...but I seriously doubt there's a better book to provide you with a good foundation in meditation. Personally, I wanted to get started straight away so I skipped to the end where the author offers some quick and easy-to-follow meditations. I then went back and started reading from the beginning to help myself understand the process a bit more.

I must say that I find the way the book is written to be fantastic. It's "personal" and welcoming to the beginner, but also gives you (or me at least) a sense that it's written by someone who really knows what he's talking about. I also find the structure of the book very good. While there's something there for the scientists out there who want to understand how meditation works (and how it may physically help them), there's plenty of complimentary anecdotes which are a mix of the spiritual side of things and modern day examples. I've never been a religious person but I actually really like the way the spiritual element of meditation is presented as I find it helps give me "perspective" on life and why I have come to the point of feeling like I needed to do something like meditating. Having this and the backgroud of the history of meditation is what I think makes this book stand out as it's both interesting and useful in the understanding of meditation.

I really don't have any significant criticisms. Yes, the author is American so some of the real-world examples certainly have an American slant to them...but even if you're not American then I don't feel it takes anything away from the relevance of the book to you.

Like I said before, I really do think this is an excellent way to get you started with meditation. Another great "Dummies" book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful guide to basic meditation, 5 Feb 2002
Gard Reian (Trondheim, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meditation For Dummies (Paperback)
This is the perfect book for anyone who wants to learn more about basic meditation. In addition to guiding us through different methods of meditation step by step, Stephen Bodian also gives us a short summary of the history of meditation which is interesting and in the same time puts everything into context.
The book can also help you get past the difficulties you might encounter during mediation. All in all a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little bit jokey but a great beginner's guide, 15 Jan 2009
Nobody Famous (The West Country, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meditation For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of the Dummies series of books. I've had maybe half a dozen over the years and they're without fail clearly written and easy to follow.

This is the best practical meditation guide I've found. Most of them have been quite focussed on the religious or mystical aspects of meditation while this one is more of a DIY handbook, which I really liked.

The CD that comes with the book is fairly good but I found that the few minutes it spends on each exercise aren't enough. Just as I'm getting into it, the section ends. Having said that, it's probably as good as they could've done within the limitations of a single CD.

If I have a criticism of the book it's that while I like the Dummies books, somehow their lighthearted, jokey approach that's great for most other subjects, seems a little bit at odds with meditation. Maybe a more serene, calm approach would've been better, but that's a minor criticism. This is still a really good book and I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in taking their first steps in meditation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jane's review, 20 Feb 2009
Mrs. J. J. Roebuck (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meditation For Dummies (Paperback)
Easy to read full of helpful information.Covers the whole field well.I found it a great help as a beginner to meditation. My reason for purchase was to see if meditation helped me with my health problems. I certainly am beginning to feel the benefits.The Cd included with the book is great I have put it on my ipod and can listen to the helpful advise whilst out and about.I would recommend this book to any beginner who is interested in improving their mental and physical health.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "mindfulness bell" of meditation, 23 Jan 2011
Four Violets (Hertford UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Meditation For Dummies (Paperback)
I have no experience of meditation and have never read about it previously, so am unable to compare this with other books. What impressed me is the way the author gets you stuck straight in, and at the same time takes the pressure off to meditate "well" or "improve," by explaining that those concepts are unhelpful - with meditation there is no "linear improvement." Rather, by giving you a mindful awareness of the present moment, meditation helps you to become aware of the chattering voices in your mind, churning out what the author describes as your personal "top ten" insistent visitors - including fear, anger, resentment - the drama, emotions and obsessions that make up your life script. By focussing your mind on the present, rather than the past or future, meditation can ultimately free you from the devastatingly destructive effects of these repetitive patterns. So much in the book struck a chord, especially the mention of inner self judgements and comparisons, and the need to develop the capacity to observe and recognise those without identifying with them - or mistaking them for the truth. If there is a way to deal more positively with situations that would once have provoked you to anger or withdrawal, it's in this book, and that alone makes it worth giving a careful reading to this straightforward, unpatronising, and practical volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 17 May 2010
D. Burton "newbe" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meditation For Dummies (Paperback)
I have come back to meditation following a few trials & errors with different books and theories. This book seems to bring everything together making sense of it all. The CD really helps to guide you on the right path. Would recommend this to beginners and those with some knowledge.

I am reading from start to finish but will be dipping in and out to keep me in the right direction when I have finished it. It's a bit more expensive than the other books I have bought on the subject but you do get comprehensive explanations and examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!, 15 April 2009
C. Ransome (C Ransome, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meditation For Dummies (Paperback)
I love this book. It covers everything from different meditation methods and also where it fits into different religons. It has lots of sprital knowhow and also makes a point of pointing out if your are not spritual or religous how meditation can be used daily to enhance your life in what area you choose to focus. This book is easy to read, you can refer to it as a manual or read it from page to page, its your choice. Also includes a CD!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Meditation For Dummies
Meditation For Dummies by Stephan Bodian (Paperback - 18 Feb 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01