5.0 out of 5 stars a good reference book beyond the exam, 3 Nov. 2003
Mr. M. C. Gaylard (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CIW e-Commerce Designer Certification Bible (Hardcover)
I found this book exceedingly useful. It is incredibly thorough, as are all the titles that I have read in the series.
The exercises and the tests were a useful alternative to the online tests available. Unless you have broadband of cheap/free access then these will serve instead of the online tests.
Tests and lab materials are available through the accompanying CD.
Not cheap at £35+ retail, cheaper from someone like Amazon of course.
Like the Site Designer Bible, I would say that this is a book that would serve as a good reference book beyond the exam, so you might want to buy and keep this one!

I have bought many books from Wiley over the years, mainframe programming books included and have found that they just do not publish rubbish. When I see that they are the publishers, I know that I have got a book I can trust.
When I was taking these course modules I found that although the reference material provided probably did have everything I would need for the exam, finding it was a problem. Also, some things were skimmed in the course and although the material made sense at the time I was a bit lost or unsure when revising. So I needed some alternative source material.
These Certification Bibles worked a treat. They are not exactly the lightest books to read, but they are packed full. I would say that they are all comprehensive in their coverage, well structured (albeit differently ordered than my own course material) and designed.
Yes, you can learn from them as a starter, but best of all they are comprehensive enough to work as reference books beyond your exam. Despite years, or maybe because of years of experience with some tools and languages, I reckon that a good reference book or two on anything you know are invaluable. Pass an exam with a simple beginners book and the first thing you'll want to do is buy a more expensive and thorough book. These books comfortable embrace both needs.
In conclusion, I would recommend all of these books as a valuable addition to the CIW Certification course material. They are expensive, but you get a lot for your money. Additionally these books will serve as good reference books once you have your certification!

4.0 out of 5 stars E-Commerce, 14 Jun. 2006
This review is from: CIW e-Commerce Designer Certification Bible (Hardcover)
An excellent book, as are the Foundation and Site Designer books by the same publisher. Very thorough although I found the book somewhat lacking when describing EDI & SET.

Chapters are very helpful; there are questions at the start of the chapter to test your existing knowledge and tests at the end with detailed answers and descriptions.

The book will certainly provide you with all the information you need to pass the CIW exam.

The end of book test and CD Rom are extremely helpful and simulate an actual exam environment. All in all a very well structured book with clear diagrams and pictures.

CIW e-Commerce Designer Certification Bible
CIW e-Commerce Designer Certification Bible by Margaret T. Minnick (Hardcover - 15 Aug. 2001)
Used & New from: £3.92