5.0 out of 5 stars All you ever wanted to know about DTS
I already realised how powerful DTS is - I use it daily in my job - and how many people realise that you can use SQL Server DTS to convert data from, say, a csv text file into an Oracle database - even creating the tables for you, and moving the files around the network!!! (Going nowhere near any SQL Server database tables!)
However, I really do want to know more,...
Published on 20 July 2005 by Tony W - The A Team

2.0 out of 5 stars Not detailed enough to be useful.
This book does a good job of explaining all the things about DTS you could have worked out yourself. However when it comes to anything more advanced like programming with the DTS object model (which is what I wanted the book for inthe first place) the information is very sparse and few examples are provided.
If you want to do anything useful with DTS then don't buy...
Published on 21 Dec 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Not detailed enough to be useful., 21 Dec 2000
By A Customer
If you want to do anything useful with DTS then don't buy this book. If however you just want to confirm in writing all the obvious features of the graphical interface (already written in the online documentation) then this is for you.
An example of the type of irrelevant stuff which was clearly inserted in this book just to pad it out are the chapter and half dedicated to teaching vbscript from scratch (I suppose we should be grateful the authors didn't put in a description of the entire VB IDE when the got to the custom tasks chapter), and the 100 pages of index's at the back which give no more information then the SQL server books online.
Wrox usually publish excellent technical books, this is a disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not bother with this book., 24 Jan 2001
Refer to SQL Books Online or SQLDTS.hlp on the SQL Server CD for basic to intermediate help on DTS instead... If you need to know more about programmatical DTS and the DTS Object Model then this book is of no use at all. In fact I have been unable to find a good programmers reference to DTS.

1.0 out of 5 stars The book fails to mention several essential pitfalls, 7 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This book guides you through the simple aspects of DTS well. However, this is all it does. It fails to adequately cover the more challenging aspects of DTS. For example, its coverage of the DTS object model is unhelpful and does not begin to explain how it should be deployed as part of a wider solution.
DTS is still a developing technology but some workarounds for common problems would be helpful, such as the various problems to do with moving DTS packages from development to a live environment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless book - unless you're Data Warehousing, 12 Dec 2002
I got my hands on this book hoping it could help me understand some basic DTS concepts. I had been struggling with some moderately complex DTS packages. After sifting through the useless contents pages I took a few stabs into the book and found the subject matter I was after. Unfortunately, the book decided to skim over everything relevant and get well and truly stuck into Data Warehousing.
Only a small proportion of DTS users are Data Warehousing so why-oh-why does is this book one big, fat step-by-step guide to building one? If it was titled "Data Warehousing" I would understand it.
Eventually I resorted to the internet to find the information I was looking for. I just wish I hadn't wasted time and money trying to find anything useful in this book.
As for another reviewer's comments... I agree about the lack of pitfall warnings. It's a "howto Data Warehouse", not a useful guide to DTS at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Provides good Basic to intermediate understanding of DTS, 13 Dec 2000
I bought this Book to enhance my DTS skills. Starts with basic understanding of DTS. Provides good explanation of varius properties of DTS packages and tasks. Some good tips are also included. Although in chapter 15 a case study example is given but it is not enough if compare it with many other books from Wrox where case study goes in every chapter. It is good DTS learning source but lack of practical exercises and example might frustrate you if you are used to Wrox books like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you ever wanted to know about DTS, 20 July 2005
Tony W - The A Team (Benfleet, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional SQL Server 2000 DTS (Data Transformation Services) (Programmer to Programmer) (Paperback)
However, I really do want to know more, especially about activeX scripts and what they can do. I shall be moving to warehousing shortly and I need to use DTS for just that.
This book is a Godsend for me. Although the first chapter or so covers stuff you can find on the Microsoft site - and online books (I have read reviews which pointlessly criticise this), the book does it miles better, and you can read it in bed, on the train, the plane, the bus or anywhere you like. You can't easily do that with on-line books or the Microsoft site!
The activeX, warehousing, ADO and other parts is really well done and have taken me to whole new worlds.
If you want to know about DTS from start to finish - buy this book.