4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great, If you buy any ASP book, buy this one!
Although I am quite adept at HTML, come from a design background, have heeps of PC experience and therefor can produce out-standing static Web sites I needed to improve my skills base. Namely to expand into the e-commerce, e-catalogue and database connectivity areas of the internet.
Published on 11 April 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but far too verbose
Published on 24 July 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great, If you buy any ASP book, buy this one!, 11 April 2000
By A Customer
With no practical programming backgound what-so-ever I really am starting from scratch. With a starting position like that you need to make the correct decision about your learning tools. Purchasing Wrox's Begining ASP 3.0 was the best decision I have made to date, probably the best throughout my 31 years of life! . I am now half way through the book and my only complaint is that it wasn't proof read before publishing, it can be annoying but is by no means a hinderence. It is well thought out, gives a good basis to start from and has a comfortable learning curve. And of course, should you not quite grasp it the first time it's always there to refer to.
In fact I am so happy with this book, I'm actually here to purchase the follow on - Professional ASP 3.0 by Wrox, as I won't put the first one down till I've completed it (about a another week or so!) and have already started to incorporate what I've learned into my working Web Sites, fantastic : )

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent starting point for beginners wishing to learn ASP, 28 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
This book is a godsend ;) I purchased it to supplement the HTML i am learning in HND Computing, and it's given me such confidence that i am doing my final year project in ASP.
the book is very well written throughout, it's not even "Americanised" (or should that be "Americanized"?). all the code examples worked without modification, i now have a thorough understanding of the basics of ASP and ADO... what more could you want..? buy it now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and extensive start to ASP, 18 Jan. 2000
By A Customer
This book provides an excellent introduction to the world of ASP and dynamic web pages.
Although experienced programmers may find themselves skimming through some of the mid-chapters, I would still recommend it to them as a starting point. The latter end of the book teaches some of the most exciting aspects of ASP, explained in clarity and detail. If you are an experienced programmer you may want to order Professional ASP 3.0 by Wrox at the same time as you will probably plow through the beginners edition quite quickly.
Non-programmers will find this book invaluable, it gives a thorough introduction to programming methods as well as ASP itself. And I'm sure most will find it excellent value for money.
The Wrox website compliments this book superbly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide from zero previous knowledge, 13 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
I read this book over two days on various flights and then again working through it at home. It is a very readable thorough guide and assumes no previous knowledge. I recommend this book as a starting point to anyone wishing to learn ASP.
Contrary to criticisms that this book is too long and longwinded, it is a beginners guide and as such spends enough time on explaining the subject matter thoroughly. More experienced persons may of course skip sections or more straight on to the Professional book.
Yes some of the examples are not appropriate for real-world usage, but this is a teaching guide so that should be expected.
Very well written especially for its target audience and a good general guide to keep as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for learning ASP right from the start, 23 April 2000
By A Customer
I've dabbled in Delphi and VB, but this time I needed to develop a 'real' application to work on the web. This book took me from knowing nothing about ASP to developing the basis of a database driven application in around 2 weeks. I couldn't have asked for a better book. There are a few typos, but the downloadable code helped a great deal. Over a couple of weeks, I've been taken from ASP zero to ... well, I suppose I have to retain a certain level of modesty!

5.0 out of 5 stars Zero to ASP Hero, 21 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
I want to make one thing clear, this book is superb. I had a working knowledge of HTML and nothing else, but wanted to start making my pages interactive. This book does it all. Little to no knowledge of programming? No problem. Want to learn how to acheive interactivity like the big fancy sites, no problem. I got recommended this book after posting a question on a bulletin board asking for help on how to build web databases, turned out to be the best buy I've made in a long time. Easy reading and a great learning tool (which I continually go back to). It may sound like I'm raving on about this book, but I spent ages trying to get the knowledge this book effortlessly imparts. So if you want to get serious about your web pages then this book will save you a lot of time, effort and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn ASP and from scratch guaranteed!, 9 April 2002
By A Customer
This book is an excellent read for anyone, wanting to learn ASP. It has given me the confidence to write my own ASP web pages

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but far too verbose, 24 July 2000
By A Customer
I got this book because I needed a good ASP knowledge quickly. There is nothing wrong with the book as such, except it is far too big. What is the point of explaining something and then explaining it again and again. If I have problems understanding I will look in another book or ask someone. I think the bulk of this book could have been cut by 1/2 if there had been some judicious editing. Also, it is quite apparent that the sections were written by different people, and the styles do not always mesh. In some cases they appear to contradict one another.
All that said, it is quite a nice book. I just won't be using it for reference at work because of the size. I'll just have to take O'Reilly's for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Beginners book., 20 Sept. 2000
I purchased this book over a month back when I decided to make a transition from VB to ASP. And was a bit scared to see all those percentage symbols and HTML tags as would any newcomer to the world of web. One month with this book and all those confusing symbols became very legible. The 'Try this' code sections further getting divided into pure HTML and ASP code really helps a real beginner like me to understand what is what. The text itself is plain english with not too much technical mumbo-jumbo. I would like to recommend this book highly to people like me who have just decided to test the waters before makng a plunge.

2.0 out of 5 stars Covers all areas but some dodgy code examples, 26 Jan. 2001
Not a bad beginner book, but I became frustrated with some of the "Try it outs" which repeatedly did not run due to code errors. The code only worked with modifications. Plus most of the examples were according to more experienced colleagues 'Impractical and would never be used'. 'While Wend' was used for an example, when Microsoft only include this for backward compatibility, with Do While Loop being preferred in reality. Surely a book written recently should include better examples.
Overall it covered the topics but please wrox give us better examples...

Beginning ASP 3.0 (Programmer to Programmer)
Beginning ASP 3.0 (Programmer to Programmer) by Jon Duckett (Paperback - 11 July 2000)