on 21 August 2009
Once again, a how-to book in the "Dummy" series has been invaluable in deciphering the complexities of Adobe programs. In this case, the Photoshop program explained has myriads of functions and one needs to know point A in order to arrive at Point B. Highly useful in a book of this sort is graphic clarity and a good index (most publishers seem to care little about indexes) so that readers can quickly find answers to questions, returning, for example, to Point A to refresh their memories.
A tear-out section in the book makes it possible to have short-cut keyboard commands nearby for quick reference.
The "Dummy" series can be plagued by humorous asides that get tiresome, but this volume has reduced those to a disc rete number.
As a devourer of how-to computer books and hopeless nerd, I suspect that this book is the best possible solution for a good introduction to Photoshop (CS in my case).
on 30 November 2009
This book reads like a textbook, which is fine if you're interested in getting a generalised overview of WHAT most of the functions in photoshop do. However, if what you're looking for is a set of tutorials to explain HOW to carry those functions out to get the desired results then this book is not for you.
I've been messing around in photoshop for a few weeks so am not a complete beginner, but I've been struggling to make head nor tail of a lot of the more complex stuff in this book. I guess what I need is something with screen shots showing me how to get from A to B rather than a book which tells me what results I could get but not how to get them.

It's a good book overall (although to call it the 'Dummies' guide is a bit misleading as to me it seems to be a bit complex for a complete novice) just not quite what I was looking for. I have now ordered another book which apparently is more what I wanted, and I think the two books together should give me a comprehensive overview.
on 31 March 2011
Does what it says on the tin (well, cover). Although not as amusing written as Macs For Dummies. But full of useful instruction for anyone getting started in photoshop. It avoids getting you bogged down in jargon, but still gives you a solid understanding of image editing.
on 22 January 2010
Have had the original version Photoshop CS for some time, but only with the screen based guides,which are not easy to follow if you're a novice and trying to follow the instructions on screen whilst at the same time use the program. Photoshop CS for Dummies I have found invaluable in unlocking the secrets of the program. It is written in a comprehensive style and perhaps best used as a reference, rather than trying to read cover to cover. Well worth the money when you consider the capabilities of the program.
on 6 April 2010
This book has been a great help as photoshop is such an enormous program and has so many layers. good reading.
on 8 May 2014
I purchased this book as a gift for my husband and he has found it invaluable. Lots of good guide lines and as the name suggest easy to understand. Thank you
on 30 December 2015
bargain book , fast service thanks.