5.0 out of 5 stars Useful book with a lamen approach in teaching a user on Unix
Getting to grips with Unix for the first time is a daunting prospect, more so as I have come from a VMS background!! The book proved to be useful in teaching the basics of Unix without dropping me in the deep end from the word go. I will always keep this book on my desk as I will no doubt be refering to it in the months to come.
Published on 17 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars A good buy for the beginner
Published on 15 Dec 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars A good buy for the beginner, 15 Dec 1999
This review is from: UNIX For Dummies (Paperback)
Anyone with a modicum of experience in using UNIX will undoubtedly find this book a waste of time. However, for the rest of us 'dummies' this is an entertaining look at the basics (very basic) of the operating system. OK, within a couple of months of using UNIX I found its usefulness waning, but I still make reference to it from time to time - and no doubt will continue to do so. A good buy for the beginner - like me !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful book with a lamen approach in teaching a user on Unix, 17 July 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars An very good introduction to using Unix., 9 April 1999
This review is from: UNIX For Dummies (Paperback)
This book does not go into detail into Unix at all, and for that it has earned criticism shared by many of the Dummy books. Still, for those going into Unix from scratch, this is clearly one of the best choices available.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Decent book, 11 May 2006
Sam Morton (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unix for Dummies (Paperback)
Ok guys this book isn't bad. It is very descriptive and well written. The problem is there's much of water, long blah-blah-blah and so on. It takes too long to start and then looOOoong leaps from one real problem to another. But it is "for dummy" book it supposed to be like that with all explanations back to the beginning.

I have found training DVD "UNIX Essentials" by UnixAcademy that nobody knows about. I found this DVD on Amazon.com but since they do not ship outside US I ordered it directly from CustomFlix.com. It is very cool one, straight to the subject, very useful. I coupled this book with DVD and I believe I learned more then my friend who attended $2000 class.

This book is good , but DVD is DVD, it is like you have class at home. This book is very useful though. When you start with UNIX it is like starting with violin:you have to practice every day and this book paired with the DVD gives much of what you will ever need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good base to start from, 1 July 2014
PaulG "PaulG" (Fintona, Co Tyrone) - See all my reviews
This review is from: UNIX For Dummies (Paperback)
joke of a secret santa for the ntcase who left wintel for a Unix team. Why? still each to their own.
Even managed to take a sneeky peek at it after presentation and even found it useful and gave even me an insight that i found interesting and helpful.
The 'For Dummies....' series really does not fail to do the job. Clear, simple instructions that can give you a solid understanding and base knowledge to then develop. Gives the starter that much needed jab in the right direction to go deeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 8 Oct 2013
rosy44 (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unix for Dummies (Paperback)
This book is very readable and informative. Potentially the subject matter could be rather dry but the authors have made a great job of writing it in a way that amuses by including little anecdotes and funny scenarios which keep the reader locked in. If you want a quick and easy reference book to get you going on UNIX this is for you and it will pave the way for more serious works if you are intent on becoming an expert rather than just a competent user.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Unix for Dummies (Paperback)
If you are looking for a fast and detailed introdution to UNIX, this is the book you are looking for!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 16 July 2009
Simon Ball (Luton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: UNIX For Dummies (Paperback)
A refreshing look at a subject that isn't particularly user friendly
Easy to read

1.0 out of 5 stars You will remain a 'dummie', 5 July 1999
This review is from: UNIX For Dummies (Paperback)
I have been using unix for 8 years. I bought this book for my wife without taking a good look first. What a piece of junk. It leaves out so many important basics and wastes far too much space on internet stuff. Not surprising since the authors also wrote the 'dummies' internet book. Do yourself a favor, don't buy this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars 5th Edition 2004 - dated, 31 Oct 2010
The title says it all, I was dumb to buy it. 5th edition - dated

Unix for Dummies
Unix for Dummies by Margaret Levine Young (Paperback - 23 Jan 2004)
11.99