4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference For using VBA with Excel
I am a pretty experienced Access developer but recently needed to use excel for many of the reports and forms. The info on the excel object model, charts and pivot tables was the main reason I bought the book and this was all well laid out and easy to follow.
Published on 17 Nov 2004 by Jon Simpson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good advice but the examples are not easy to read on kindle
I purchased this book so that I could learn about VBA. It cdertainly had a lot of content and was very informative. The one problem I had is that the examples were too small to read on the kindle. I had to resort to using a magnifying glass to read some of the content. It did not matter what font size I set on the kindle as the examples still remained small...
Published 22 months ago by da

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference For using VBA with Excel, 17 Nov 2004
This review is from: Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA (Paperback)
What really impressed me was the info on interacting with other Aps and the API / Registry; more comprehensive than many other MS Office development book I have seen.
On the negative side the info on ADO and Class modules was too sketchy for beginners and too basic for those with Access experience to be useful and would be better ignored

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and comprehensive, 6 Jun 2008
Dr. M (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA (Paperback)
I am a self-taught VBA programmer with moderate to good understanding of VBA and was looking for a book to take me to the next skill level. Most books I have bought so far (about 5!) have been relatively hopeless, being either too basic or far too technical.

However, John Walkenbach's book is in a league of its own. It starts off simply enough but rapidly and effortlessly works up to more complex ideas and scripts. He provides you with lots of handy tips and tricks and ensures you have a good grounding in each topic before advancing. His language is simple and easy to read with lots of working examples and a wide array of topics.

This book is really excellent and I can HIGHLY recommend it for a user of almost any skill level. I also highly recommend his book on Excel 2003 Formulas. In combination these two books will help you comfortably conquer Excel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book for the Next Level, 20 Jan 2010
M. Donovan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA (Paperback)
Having read VBA for dummies this book seemed like the next logical step.
I am about half way through the book and have the following comments;

The is a lot of sections at the start of the book which i feel are fillers, some of the text seems to be almost cut and pasted from VBA for dummies, as a power programing book i didnt expect it to cover some very basic topics in such detail. That aside it was a nice refresher but i did find myself skimming over alot.

Once the book gets going onto more intermediate topics it gets much better and some of the pre writen user functions are good to be implimented into code i write every day, some required applying of the principle to make them useful(which is no bad thing as it stimulates code practice).

I have found the to be some typos and errors in the book which i have noticed on sections of code that i already fully understand, i hope that the are not to many of these on the code i dont understand. On the whole most the errors are related to bad english, missing text (missing figure lables on some examples) and words words repeated!

I would totaly agree with most over reviews of this book in the fact it is not a reference book, but it is a good book to read through as a set of lessons.

I would buy books from this author again but would suplement them with a good reference book on the side.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good advice but the examples are not easy to read on kindle, 13 Oct 2012

Good book if you want to learn albeit reading the examples was difficult

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be any better, 1 May 2011
This review is from: Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA (Paperback)
I bought this book while working on a VBA project that was just a bit more complex than my current programming abilities, and I found it immediately useful. I didn't have the time to read it cover to cover, but instead dived into the section I needed to get the job done.
I found the book contains a very good mix of explanation of the language concepts, immediately followed by examples that can be applied straight away to own projects. Having worked with this book, I will probably not spend too much time with my old VBA books any more.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCEL-LENT Purchase!, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA (Paperback)
I cannot rate this book highly enough. John Walkenbach has justifiably earned the epithet "Mr Excel". He has the rare combination of skills: a thorough grasp of what is, after all, a pretty deep subject, and the ability to communicate his subject with tremendous clarity and accessibility. This is the third of three books of his on Excel (The Excel 2003 Bible and Excel VBA Programming for dummies being the other two), and this is far and away the best. He uses examples rather than masses of conceptual material, something I wasn't initially happy with. But I am a convert to his method of teaching the subject, and my understanding (after 2 years of programming in VBA) had leapt as a result of reading this book. Well done, Mr Walkenbach!

3.0 out of 5 stars Indexes, 19 Mar 2004
Benny Jensen (GOTHENBURG Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA (Paperback)
I like this book it have a lot of exampels, but what they totaly forgoten is to build a good Index on where to find diffrent subjects in the book. One have to choose the chapter more likely to contain the information one is searching for and go throug it.

Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA
Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA by John Walkenbach (Paperback - 20 Jan 2004)
23.77