Format: PaperbackChange

on 9 February 2009
I find this book to be a very useful reference book. I have found having several books on Access useful because each will explain some topic or other better. With some subjects it is useful to read it in two books to end up being wiser. So far I have found Access 2003 Bible to be the best overall at explaining things. It is particularly useful as a reference book to dip into when you need a bit of help with something. The downside is that like the other books I have come across it uses a single database project theme through the book which makes it less good at being a general reference dip in book than it could have been because it doesn't always have a good example to illustrate the particular task. Most importantly of all, in other database situations you would require to know some things that the using the cars database would not lead to. It is stuck with one basic database design and set of tables. The very reason Access is left for the user to programme is that different situations are optimised by having differnt stuctures, therefore developing different databases for different purposes is vital to learning it well, and to be better placed to arrange a set of tables that are part of a bigger database. It explains a lot of basic things very well, but this is not everying and I would advise seeing what other books have to say too. For VBA starters I think it best to use a VBA specific book (Mike Smart is good). It is nevertherless very useful and worth having in my opinion.Learn Access VBA 2003 With The Smart Method
on 12 August 2007
First, VERY detailed about EVERYthing. . if you want to learn how to do what most people would regard as strait forward, then be prepared to read a couple of pages on the theory and every possible way to achieve the task.

Secondly, the exercises are so spread around the chapters that I now get confused if I'm being asked to follow an exercise or just to read more theory.

Access Bible covers it all? And yet I'm still left unsure about certain tasks; how to link two related sub-forms records within the same form? There are holes.

If your study style is enjoying a cosy evening reading theory with less exercise you'll love this book. If you get frustrated with too much theory overload, perhaps start with a simple book with lots of practical exercises, (the real way to learn), work out how to move a text box around a form yourself, and then buy a more professional level book that also has lots of exercises.

I now design commercial databases for businesses using VBA and can't say this book helped much in any area of Access because it was too frustrating.