on 12 February 2004
Teach yourself Visually e-Commerce with FrontPage 2002.
From the point of view, that this book is a "Visual" learning aid, it is very good at what it says it will do. Yes, it teaches what it sets out to do, very well. There are other aspects of FrontPage, that it helps with, that are very good too. All that is great, except for the simple fact that if you (a) are not American and would perhaps like to use, say, another Payment Merchant than Microsofts bCentral - then forget it. (b). Every aspect of this book is centered around bCentral, to ad nausia.
If only it had given at least a second option, I would have been delighted with this book. Setting up a Payment gateway with say, PayPal for example, is so easy using FrontPage that even I can do it.
Producing a catalogue however, is just that bit more difficult, especially if you require your store to appear a lot more professional. That is why we buy these books isnt it? To help us create a professional looking result? Sorry, I feel I have totally wasted my money with this copy, as I do not want to join bCentral and pay every month for what could be free (from Microsoft) as it is with PayPal. Dont Microsoft know when enough is enough??
Maybe someone will bring out with a book, all about how to make professional catalogues (like this book did) using PayPal .... how cool would that be?....
on 12 March 2004
Having a great need to learn as much about eCommerce as possible and in collaboration with FrontPage in particular. I was delighted with the opportunity to cut down the learning curve, by having a "Visual" option to do this with. Actually I bought another book on the same day, which required reading, a lot of reading, but my word it was worth it. Visually learning eCommerce with FrontPage 2002 turned out to be a massive push for Microsoft's bCentral, eCommerce deal.
Not only have I no intention of subscribing to yet another Microsoft product, but I was rather hoping to learn something more about eCommerce in general.
Yes the book covers some of the FrontPage 2002 attributes, but the other book I referred to above did it much better. If you want to know how to do something quite involved, buy the How to Do.. series. They're great.
Teach yourself Visually eCommerce...., not so good. Unless you are desperate to join Microsoft's bCentral of course.