5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff for newcomers to PHP
As a complete novice to the world of PHP and MySQL, I selected this book in the hope that it would provide an introduction to the subject that I could understand quickly, as well as providing me with enough information to begin coding the applications I needed to.
Published on 9 July 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but out of date
This is a good introduction book for someone who is new to PHP and Mysql. If you want to play with PHP and Mysql on your own PC where you have your own Apache running, then this book can teach you a lot about how things work.
Published on 9 Oct 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff for newcomers to PHP, 9 July 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: PHP and MySQL for Dummies (For Dummies (Computers)) (Paperback)
It didn't disappoint - I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who, like me, comes from a straight-up HTML coding background with no prior programming knowledge whatsoever. It provides a great introduction to both the SQL and PHP languages, and the real-world examples are very useful and straightforward.
Those who have prior coding experience of any kind would probably find it slow going and would be better off with a more advanced title - since reading this I purchased Greenspan and Bulger's 'MySQL/PHP Database Applications' which is a more in-depth and comprehensive affair but which may have overwhelmed me somewhat had I chosen it as my first book on the subject!
Anyway, as a measure of the book's success, within three weeks of receiving it I had successfully implemented a 'members only' fan club area of a website for a client based on the code examples supplied with the book, as well as creating an online competition application of my own from scratch.
There are a couple of errors in the code supplied, but spotting and correcting these is good practice! Otherwise I'm really hard-pressed to find any other criticisms - for the price it's got to be the best introduction to PHP out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved My Career, 21 Sep 2002
I'm an ideas man and at work I had an idea to use a .php page to connect to a MySQL database and retrieve store information, call notes, and much more. I would not have had this idea if it wasn't for this book. It taught me the basics - even helped me set up PHP and MySQL on my local machine so I now have a server! I had fun getting to the few errors - all part of the learning curve and could be the author, "just testing you". I'm going to move on to the next level of books now that this book has given me a firm foundation to build upon. Easy to understand and follow, not too heavy, free cd. This book is on my desk all the time as its great reference material once you've read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, very readable, good value, 23 July 2002
By A Customer
This is a good intro to PHP and MySQL and I agree with my fellow Weegie.
It's quite a light read and getting all of Apache, MySQL and PHP on the CD is a positive bonus.
I knew nothing about either of these until I got this and I've picked them both up quite rapidly.
I think the next book will be the O'Reilly one but as a first book on the subject I think this makes a very good choice.
If I have one criticism it would be that it would have been nice to get a copy of the MySQL databases the book uses - then you could truly have played along with the examples in the text but really this would be a nice to have and it doesn't detract from the book in any great way at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 11 Jun 2003
H. Walker (Doncaster, S. Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is absolutely brilliant - I bought it out of curiouscity of PHP and I found it very easy to get to grips with. The tutorials were, slightly irrelevant to the applications i wished to build, but they did help with use of syntax and the programs bundled on the CD were very easy to configure (although I had some experience with Apache WebServer before). For anyone just the slightest bit interested in PHP/MySQL web database applications - how they work or programming them, this book is for you. There are workable examples in the book which are pre-written for the tutorials and stored on the CD - so basically, you use the knowledge, complete the tutorials, and then you should be able to program your own things from scratch... Note: The book does presume you have moderate HTML knowledge aswell as a basic knowledge of programming concepts (although I dont think the programming concepts side of it really matters...just an interest would do fine in my opinion).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter, 24 Aug 2003
By A Customer
I bought this book based on the reviews laid out below. PHP and MySQL are 2 huge entities in themselves and to combine the 2 into a book and make it informative is a challenge in itself. I think the author does a good job of this. I am one of those people who want to see some results within the first few chapters, even if it is a "Hello World" program, it gives you the feeling of progression within the book. In the initial few chapters I began to get the feeling that this book was another "type this in and watch results" book, without ever knowing exactly what you were doing. I persevered though and by chapter 4 you start to get into the actual coding of the database. Towards the middle of the book you suddenly move away from the flow of creating the database and start to write small sample programs detailing loops and arrays using PHP. What would have been useful here would have been to instruct the reader where in the program they could use each of the examples. It may well be obvious to the writer or an experienced PHP'er but not so for the total newbie (like me :)).
That said, this book did give me enough information to set up a site with user logins, authentication, and basic searchable databases. Something to note here is that although I have set these systems up using mostly this book, the book doesn't just contain scripts that you can paste into your program. A bit of thinking and altering of code is required to make things work on your own site and it was here that I found I got a lot of help from books which dealt with each of the subject matters separately.
All in all, a good book to start you on your way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all first time PHP programmers!, 16 Mar 2003
Spottij (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Before I read this book I had practically no experience of php or mysql. I have had this book for about two weeks and I am already building my own web programs using php and mysql. This book gives you all the things you need to learn quickly how to build your own applications to suit your needs and also gives you examples to examine and work from. The CD includes everything you need to set up your own server (using Apache) and the mysql and PHP programs also come free.
This book gave me everything I wanted in an easily-comprehendable way, and I'm delighted with it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but out of date, 9 Oct 2003
By A Customer
But if you are planning to build a site for yourself which other people will visit. Then don't buy this book. The reason is that from version 4.3, the default PHP setting REGISTER_GLOBALS is FALSE, due to security reasons. This means that you will have to write your codes in a much different way. While in this book it still assumes that REGISTER_GOLBALS=ON. If your Hosting company has REGISTER_GLOBALS=OFF, none of the example script will work anymore. And you don't want REGISTER_GLOBAL=ON, because it is insecure. Of course there are walkarounds, but for newbies it is better to have a clean start.
Now I have almost finished the book, and I have to find another book to learn how to write codes in the new way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 15 Jan 2004
I was faced with changing my web site from a static html website, to a dynamic one, so that it appeared to receive updates even when I was on holiday. I decided that this could be done by hiding certain things, until today = a specified day in the mySQL database.
Sounds difficult for a beginner? Well within 2 weeks I had completely redesigned my website, built a database, coded all pages and tested the whole thing.
When I say it took me 2 weeks, this was night time only, as I work fulltime during the day.
This book really is for the beginner and now sits on my desk at work as a very useful reference aid. If you are starting out, then this book is a must have. It will walk you through a scenarios website from beginning to end, where you create a members section, search facility etc.
Now off to buy the ASP equivalent and hope its just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book..., 28 Jun 2003
O. Benson "ollybenson" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm always a little sceptical of these "for Dummies" type books, but as someone who has dabbled in PHP for the last couple of years I was getting to the stage where I wanted to do things that I couldn't figure out by guesswork and using the primer and example sites alone (doing cookies, logins etc etc).
I bought this book because of the other reviews, and I have to admit I completely agree with them. This isn't a book for geeks - it's a book for people who have real lives but like to dabble in computing at the weekend. It talks to you in real language; not in patronising tones, but neither does it start use the kind of language that I often discover on the "help and advise" sections of the php websites.
It's taught me a lot of the "why" as well as "how" and made me realise how inefficient some of my original php pages have been.
I read this book pretty much chapter-by-chapter over a few days and now feel inspired to go and create some seriously funky dynamic websites!
I suppose the only two complaints are that it is very American, and that it appears to just stop, just where it's getting interesting. Hopefully there will be a second more-advanced book which looks at some of the more high-end aspects of PHP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant choice for beginners, 14 Jan 2004
Mark Pashby "Pash" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is great for beginners who want to learn php & mysql to deliver dynamic web pages. Having coded in many different languages for many years I wondered if this book would be a little too beginner friendly for me. This wasnt the case and it introduced me to what potentially php & mysql combined can do, the possibilites are literally endless. The book comes with handy code snippets and a cd with php pages to get you going, the author never leads you off track and doesnt cloud the whole point of the book - to give the reader an understanding of php and basic programming principles.
When I finished reading the book it left me with too many ideas of what to start my next project on. Of course to extend your knowledge of php & mysql after reading the book you will have to find some more reading material online, but because its an open source language the web is crawling with forums and tutorials to help you out.
Want to learn php & mysql but not sure where to start? buy this book :)

PHP and MySQL for Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
PHP and MySQL for Dummies (For Dummies (Computers)) by Janet Valade (Paperback - 30 April 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01