5.0 out of 5 stars Good read for all in ministry, 12 Sep 2011
This book points to the warning signs. Very much a personal log of Wayne's struggle through burnout, has some helpful tips on catching the signs early, avoiding burnout, and getting help. A must read for all in ministry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real honesty and practical help, 13 Dec 2013
C. Kidd (Dibden, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank And Renewing Your Passion (Paperback)
This week I've been reading Leading on Empty by Wayne Cordeiro. I was recommended this book by one of my previous colleagues who had been really encouraged by Cordeiro's honesty and attitude. The book starts by reflecting on his experience of burnout and how he realised that his life was not sustainable and needed to change.

For me the most helpful aspect of the book was his honesty both as he reflected with what he needed to change - that it ran deep within himself; and the depth at which Cordeiro explained practically how he managed this - especially with the Personal Retreat Days - something I will certainly be taking on board as we move into 2014.

The concept of a dashboard which helps to measure vital systems essential for health and success was interesting, he used: Faith life; marriage life; family life; office life; computer life; ministry life; financial life; social life; attitudinal life; author's life; speaker's life and physical life. I found Cordeiro's thoughts on the different questions we ask ourselves in our 20s, our 30s, our 40s, our 50s, our 60s and our 70s helpful to realise that after ten years in ministry who I am, and the questions I ask of myself have changed during this period.

With recommendations such as "This is a must-read for all leaders" by Bill Hybels it certainly isn't one to ignore, and whilst there is nothing that you probably haven't heard before, it will certainly encourage you and challenge you to make your life more sustainable instead of constantly leading on empty.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sat nav for life, 25 May 2013
Guidance for the journey of life ministry and faith. Thought-provoking, life changing and a must for restoring and refreshing ones passion to serve. Only wish I had read it as l started out in ministry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 14 April 2013
When you start reading it you'll know if you need it the the first page or 2 as you see yourself expressed in the life of Wayne Cordeiro

5.0 out of 5 stars A book with real insight, 11 April 2013
I found the book to be an inspiration and very apt for the type of lives we live these days. It made me stop and consider why I live the way I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars healthy, well & flourishing in leadership, 23 Aug 2012
J. DOUGLAS "Johnny Douglas" (Nr London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
"Learning the difference between a concern and a responsibility may save your ministry, your family, and your sanity." Here is a book filled with common sense ideas about living a life intentionally and effectively without burn-out. Cordeiro uses his own time of burn-out and depression to take the reader step-by-step through ideas and bible principles that bring the right things into focus and allow any believer to live their lives richly and fully in relationship, marriage & in God.

This is full of resources, insight, motivation and inspiration. Brilliant if you don't get stuck on the americanised style and scale of all illustrations used. Raw, honest & practical!

Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank And Renewing Your Passion
Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank And Renewing Your Passion by Wayne Cordeiro (Paperback - 1 April 2010)
7.16