Published on 4 Mar 2008 by M. McManus

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont buy for Kindle use
The content of the book really is very good ...BUT ... the tables that form a major part of the book are completely unreadable on a kindle device.

However if you are seeking to use it on Kindle for mac or similar, it is still a worthwhile reference ... i imagine it would be marginal on an IPAD but havent tried.

Dont buy if you want to use it on just...
Published on 10 April 2011 by Mr. Rick C. Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good reference guide, has the edge over most other verb books, 4 Mar 2008
M. McManus - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 501 French Verbs (501 Verbs) (6th Edition) (Paperback)
I bought this book after securing employment with a European Union institution, which would involve me living and working in a French speaking country. As a result, I needed resources to help make my French much cleaner and natural. I found it was a major part of my French improving, to the point where within 6-8 months, I could read EU Commission documents in French with 90%+ understanding. Strongly recommended, although you will need other types of book to augment your French. This book was a vital tool.

I was torn between buying this, and the extremely friendly looking "555" verbs by another publisher. My advice is do not believe that because this title only has 501 verbs, it is inferior. This book is superior to other titles for one main reason. That is, every verb is presented well, and various useful vocabulary items which have their root in that verb are shown as well. This allows you to build up your vocabulary as well as verb conjugation. There are also plenty of examples for each verb (c. 6-8 words), unlike other titles which may only have one or two.

The book is not without weaknesses. One weakness is it is not very portable, so if you want this book to carry around on holiday, forget it. Another slight weakness is that the explanation of verb tenses are not particularly "readable", full of technical linguistic terms that are unnecessary.

All in all, this book is an excellent resource for those wishing to learn French.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best of its kind, 12 Nov 2007
This review is from: 501 French Verbs (501 Verbs) (6th Edition) (Paperback)
This book is easy to follow and packed with practical information even beyond my expectation. I had been looking for a book that entails French verb conjugation comprehensively. I am really pleased to encounter this book. Among others, I found the "English-French verb index" on the back part of it very useful. This book does not intend to list word by word how to conjugate all the French verbs. But the index can guide you to spot easily the form of the model verb that has a similar conjugation, which means that this book can almost be used as an all-inclusive reference book on French verb conjugation. This means a lot to me, because I don't have to consult other reference books.

Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont buy for Kindle use, 10 April 2011
Mr. Rick C. Brooks (Guernsey) - See all my reviews

Dont buy if you want to use it on just your kindle device.

3.0 out of 5 stars 501 French Verbs, 13 Jan 2011
I know this is an excellent resource if you are learning French as I have seen it in hard copy. I decided to download it to my Kindle so that I could use it on the move. However, the font size of the verb tables is so small that I can barely ready it. When I increase the font size, the table that the verbs are in increase but the acutal text stays the same size (still barely readable). I have since checked out some other reference books and this problem seems to be common. My message is therefore that reference books, such as this one, are not a vaulabe resource on the kindle and are much better in hard copy.

1.0 out of 5 stars still unable to easily search for verbs on kindle, 17 Sep 2012
I have this in paperback and it's great. Unfortunately with the kindle version the search gives a whole string of locations when searching for a verb to check its conjugation - hundreds sometimes. I NOW TRY SEARCHING USING THE PRESENT PARTICIPLE and this will sometimes give the location of the verb conjugation upfront. I don't know why they can't get this search right for the French version as the 'Barrons 501 Spanish verbs' is great on kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Help when learning French, 13 July 2009
This review is from: 501 French Verbs (501 Verbs) (6th Edition) (Paperback)
This book is invaluable to me. I recently started to learn French for the first time and this book is easy to use and has lots more than just verbs inside.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition not suitable for reference, 10 Mar 2011
Bought as a verb reference on Kindle. The search facilities are not up to the job when you just want to look up a verb and check the tenses. Not recommended, buy a paper version.

5.0 out of 5 stars French verbs made easy (or easier), 28 Oct 2009
K. Glaister "Allotment Queen" (Salisbury UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 501 French Verbs (501 Verbs) (6th Edition) (Paperback)
My French teacher recommended this to her class of adult learners. It is very well laid out and once I had brushed off the cobwebs from my ancient brain, this book has really helped to revise/learn the most useful verbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barron's 501 French Verbs, 5 April 2010
This review is from: 501 French Verbs (501 Verbs) (6th Edition) (Paperback)
I bought this book to help me when conjugating some of the less common French verbs. The layout of the book is very clear and easy to use and so far I been able to find all the verbs that I have needed. I would recommend this book to all French langauge students studying at post A-level standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 2 July 2009
This review is from: 501 French Verbs (501 Verbs) (6th Edition) (Paperback)
Immensely helpful book for those who may, like me, not easily remember all the myriad rules, tenses, regularities and irregularities of French verbs - whether for your written or spoken French, it really aids confidence and progress. I wish I'd had this at school!

501 French Verbs (501 Verbs) (6th Edition)
501 French Verbs (501 Verbs) (6th Edition) by Christopher Kendris (Paperback - 11 Jan 2007)