on 22 August 2012
When I first opened the book and flicked through it, I felt disappointed. It had the look and general feel of a book you'd find in a bargain basement shop for £5.00. I began reading, and my expectations raised. I read through the history of leather, and different methods of tanning; and all the different types of leather, and their purposes. All this was interesting.
Next was what I really wanted to know. The correct tools. There was a good amount of detail about different tools and their uses, to give me a better idea of which ones I needed to buy.
Then my disappointment again. I was really looking forward to learning how to emboss leather, and how best to use the tools for this. Unfortunately I could see from the photos, that the examples were clearly done by a novice embosser who couldn't draw, or use the swivel knife smoothly.
The next bit which interested me was the stitching and braiding, which to be fair is the strong point of the leatherworker in this book, so I can learn from this section.

Then the final disappointment. The projects in the back of the book look like dated college art and craft work from the 1990's with no real practical use.
There is a box basket with no handle; A wooden tray with glued on mosaic leather tiles; A very sorry looking leather clock; An mdf picture frame with leather glued on; A coin caddy; A wooden box with leather glued on; A very simple book front cover and back with no spine; And a mirror with a tree landscape at the bottom. I was hoping for a useful bag, or simple glove project. Maybe a pair of flip flops.

I have given the three stars for:
History and methods of tanning
Tool information
Braiding section
on 14 February 2012
Great product. A lot of beautiful pictures and projects. Materials are explained in detail. Certainly recommend for beginners.
I bought three books including "Art of Hand Sewing Leather" and "Gorgeous Leather Crafts: 30 Projects to Stamp, Stencil, Weave and Tool " but this one was certainly the most valuable one for me.
on 12 May 2016
Nice book but not as informative as I would have liked so a bit disappointed
on 7 January 2013
What a great book for artist who work with leather.
It has many examples, great pictures and clearly description.
It is amazing what you can do with leather. Just great!
on 4 May 2015
lovely clear and precise illustrations
on 15 November 2014
Well produced book. Plenty of pictures, and some great ideas. Will be good for reference.
on 31 January 2015
just right x
on 18 November 2012
I have bought this as a Christmas present for a friend who has recently started doing leatherwork as a hobby.
on 22 June 2010
This is a most comprehensive guide and useful to tyro and expert alike. Fair price and good delivery.
on 19 December 2012
Item extactly as described and was we were looking for, will use the company again when I purcahse any other books.