5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to natural wonders around the world

3.0 out of 5 stars ...If You Live That Long
Published on 2 Jan 2012 by Mr. T. Sturrock

3.0 out of 5 stars ...If You Live That Long, 2 Jan 2012
Mr. T. Sturrock "timsturrock" (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
Having spent some time travelling over recent years, I was hoping this book would give me inspiration on where to head for next. Although there are many places here that look interesting, I found the text too dry to keep me coming back to the book. It seems as though it was written with geologists in mind, which as a book documenting 'Natural Wonders' is fair enough but I would like a little more about the awe and wonder of what it's like to be in a place, and for your senses to be overwhelmed with all the sights and sounds of the environment. For instance the page on the Sechura Desert in Peru hardly mentions the incredible Nazca figures, which is the reason most people go there, not for the insect nurseries. Also the accompanying photographs I felt could have 'sold' these places better, look at the recent book 'The Road Less Travelled' for an example of how to capture the magical essence of a place in a photograph. It's too comprehensive to be completely dull, as a coffee table book it's ok but my copy has been mainly left to gather dust

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to natural wonders around the world, 4 Nov 2010
This is a great compendium of natural wonders - some I expected, others I'd never even thought of. The only gripe would be, as another reviewer said, that there aren't photos for every wonder - admittedly that would result in an even larger volume than this already is! It's certainly sparked a desire to try and see at least a few of these - and even those that I probably won't get to, it's certainly inspired me with an awe of the variety and impressiveness of our natural world.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 29 Jan 2009
Claire Macdonald "C MacD" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my boyfriend for his birthday, he took it on a long journey with him and it kept him occupied. Interesting read. Good to just flick through and see places you never knew existed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect gift, 7 Nov 2011
I would recommend this book to anyone trying to find a gift for that difficult person.

Its well laid out, well written and full of great photos.

Its perfect as a Christmas present and i guarantee the book will be flicked through by a number of guests on the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Dec 2007
Full of great information and stunning images, although there isnt a picture for every wonder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 11 Jun 2013
This book has wonderful pictures, giving us the imagination that we are just seeing the most wonderful places around the globe. I have been trying to get hold of a copy for a very long time and now I have my own copy. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars love this book, 1 Mar 2013
amazing book. makes me want to plan so many trips for my future.
definitely recommended for the travel freaks out there =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 1 Jan 2013
I gave this as a gift and was delighted to find quite a few natural wonders from the UK in there also the tick list is helpful

3.0 out of 5 stars Another list?, 7 Sep 2012
A. Webb "spider_al30001" (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Whilst my interests in travel are more directed towards culture rather than nature, I was so impressed with the series' "1001 Historical Sites to See Before You Die" that I immediately bought this one, thinking it would be a nice companion.

Unfortunately, the writers in this case have a much harder task. Whereas human sites have an interesting history to describe, Natural Wonders are harder to contextualise, and whilst this book attempts to be readable to all, it often devolves into dry geological description that will bore many, whilst the others will soon find themselves losing track of the individuality of each entry. Again, I do not envy the writers' task - there's only so many times you can describe views from heights as 'breathtaking,' or assure readers that the difficult ascent will be rewarded, but the approach offered instead does little to move the armchair traveller in the way such a book should. It should also be said that potential buyers should expect NOTHING in the way of practical advice for reaching these places yourself. Anyone familiar with the series will not be surprised at this, and in fact will be pleased that space is not filled with such matters, but nevertheless it is worth highlighting.

What these 1001 Before You Die books have in their favour is a clear and concise format. There are not pictures for all the places, but there are for most, and in general the look of the book is weighted towards simplicity, rather than other company's offerings which favour flashy page design at the expense of pictures people really want to see. Furthermore, 1001 natural sites is a LOT, and this will undoubtedly open up new possibilities to those planning on hitting the road, whilst those less adventurous would be pleased to see that the UK is well represented - visit three of these sites in one day's walk on the Dorset coast.

This is, then, not a book I will be picking up as often as some others in the series. I had hoped it would do something to persuade me that natural wonder can be just as rewarding as cultural exploration. If it does not succeed in this, it does succeed in being intelligent and comprehensive. The OCD in me won't be ticking these off the list like I have been known to do with the Historical Sights book, but it will remain on my shelf for occasional perusal and inspiration.

4.0 out of 5 stars A coffee table book, 30 May 2012
I bought this book for a retirement present and it was well received. Even if you don't get to visit the locations in the book its still a good read. Good book for the coffee table to pick up and read a few pages and then go back to at a later date.

1001 Natural Wonders: You Must See Before You Die (Barron's Educational Series)
Used & New from: £4.63