on 24 November 2001
Vocabulary building can be quite boring, hence it is easy to forget the meaning of new words learnt, but this book makes vocabulary building enjoyable. Not only are you giving words and meanings, you are also given excercises to do on a daily bases this structure helps to retain knowledge, so that each day you are looking forward to the next excercise knowing that you are not doing too little or too much.
Words learnt in one excercise also appear in the following excercise and this makes one become accustomed to the word...I would recommend this book anyday!
on 6 August 2008
I bought this book a few years ago. It's still a great book. I highly recommend it to anyone.

As I'm a late learner in my forties, I would say this book has much augmented my vocabulary. Moreover, I've bought nearly ALL the vocabulary books from this website. I have SAT vocabulary books as well, all great too.
My review on this book: I rate it as one of the very BEST. I most read this book during tea breaks, during quiet period of business in shop, during babysitting. It has all the key answers to questions, articles with examples of usage, etc. Blank spaces around text allows me to pencil down my notes, mostly examples of usages. Every page has my pencilled notes. That's how much I love the book.
VINE VOICEon 6 December 2007
Echoing the other reviews this book sticks to the task of giving a few words every day in the context of a short piece taken from a wide range of source types. My slight reservations are around the US authorship (and a lot is -ize instead of -ise to explain to my kids).

Having now got this I realise it is aimed at reasonably advance KS3 readers (and indeed adults, there being many words I now find out I don't quite use correctly).
on 16 December 2007
This book is amazing. You learn five new words a day and an idiom. For each set of 5 words there are two exercises. The first of which gives you the gist of the meaning by looking at how the word is used in a given context. In the second, you match the meaning with the word. After every 4 days there is a review section. A very practical approach to building vocabulary.
on 29 December 2006
This book teaches everyday five words with their usage and one idiom. At the back there are answers to exercises. highly recommended.
on 27 April 2013
If you struggle with words such as humility, pragmatic or (I kid you not) technology then this is the book for you. Others may find How to Build a Better Vocabulary more helpful, although that comes with its own drawbacks.