5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling wartime read.
Shirley Hughes is one of the best-loved writers for children, and at the grand age of 84, Shirley has just published her first novel. Hero on a Bicycle is suitable for confident readers aged around 10 and over, but adults can also enjoy this well-told story.
Published on 8 Jun 2012 by C. Colley

3.0 out of 5 stars hero on a bicycle
Having read Shirley Hughes 2 my children throughput their childhood, I was expecting a great read. I was disappointed. I wouldn't have bothered to have finished the book if I hadn't bought it.
Published 2 months ago by Jhealing

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling wartime read., 8 Jun 2012
C. Colley (Lincs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hero on a Bicycle (Hardcover)
Set in Florence, Italy, during the Second World War, this story is inspired by the authors own experiences and on people she met in Italy, just after the war.
Thirteen-year-old Paolo lives in Florence with his English mother, older sister and his beloved dog, Guido. The Germans have invaded and Paolo's father is in hiding and secretly suspected of helping the Partisans, who are roaming the hills around Florence.
Paolo loves going for secret midnight bike rides. He knows this is dangerous because nightly curfews are in place and anyone caught breaking the rules would suffer at the hands of the German occupying force. One night on his way home, Paolo is stopped by a group of Partisans. They ask him to take an important message to his mother, a message that leads them all in to a very dangerous adventure.
I won't spoil the plot by revealing anymore, but be prepared for a tense, dangerous, exciting and thrilling story that does not shy away from the brutality and fear suffered in wartime. The plot and characters are very realistic and there is one particular scene that I found very moving.
This is NOT a comparison, but I enjoyed this book in a similar way that I enjoy Michael Morpurgo's wartime stories. I think this type of story can be enjoyed by young and old alike, and a realistic story is a good way to learn about a place and time in history.
For more historical details and information all about this book, there is also a great website to browse. Just google the book title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 21 Aug 2012
This review is from: Hero on a Bicycle (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book for my granddaughter as part of her birthday. I also bought the kindle version so have read it myself. It is a great story well written and gives an insight, I think, to the younger generation about what some people did and suffered during the war. My granddaughter (age 10) has now started reading it and told me only last evening how much she was enjoying the book. So different from Mallory Towers and Famous Five!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new venture for a great illustrator, 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: Hero on a Bicycle (Hardcover)
The name Shirley Hughes brings some wonderful books to mind, but none of them are novels. In the forward to this new book Ms Hughes tells us that this is a story she always knew she would write one day. She visited Florence not long after the end of the war and so this story has obviously been simmering away for some time while she entertained generations of children with her wonderful picture books.

The hero of the title is a thirteen year old boy, Paolo, who lives just outside the city of Florence with his sister Constanza, and their English mother. Their father is not at home as his sympathies lie not with the Italian Fascists and the German occupying force, but with the partisans who are trying to liberate Italy. He felt his family would be safer if he was not around, but they seem to find plenty of danger all by themselves. The family hide two escaped prisoners of war, who are trying to get back to their units and Paolo suddenly finds all the adventure and excitement he has been craving. He is a brave lad, and, with the aid of his trusty bicycle, he saves more than one life before the allied soldiers arrive, the war finally ends and his father is able to come home.

Shirley Hughes is a wonderful storyteller whether she is using words or pictures. I do hope there are other stories and novels that are simmering away waiting to delight us.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 2 Oct 2013
J. Cockerill (Somerset, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hero on a Bicycle (Paperback)
I bought this for my 11 year old son last Christmas and he loved it and insisted I found the time to read it myself. I'm so glad I did, it was a thrilling read that had me hooked and I read it in a day. Worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hero on a Bicycle (Kindle Edition)
A lovely read, I downloaded this for my daughter for book club, but would of read it anyway! Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reading for children., 19 April 2013
This review is from: Hero on a Bicycle (Kindle Edition)
This was recommended by my grandson and is a story of the resistance and a young boys efforts to assist

5.0 out of 5 stars Hero on a Bicyle, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Hero on a Bicycle (Kindle Edition)
What a wonderful story, you really warm to each of the characters and what they were going through.

A book not just for children but for grown ups as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Hero On A Bicycle, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hero on a Bicycle (Paperback)
Italy 1944 during the Nazi occupation, Paolo's father is off with the Partisans or so he thought, Paolo, his sister Constanza and his mother are trying to survive the war as best they can. He trys to help by attempting to join the Partisans but he is to young they say, then the Partisans ask his mother if they will take in two allied airman and Paolo's adventures begin, an excellent well written book and well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read for children and a good quick read for an adult, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Hero on a Bicycle (Kindle Edition)
My son was 10 when he read this and has always been hard to engage with books. However, he really got into this book and nagged me to read it too which I did whilst on a family holiday. I could see why he had enjoyed it as it was a really enjoyable read for me. We got back from holiday and he asked me to get him another book by Shirley Hughes, but then we realised this was her first longer novel. Please write another, Shirley! We used to have an anthology of children's stories and poems which we read to my son as a much younger child at bedtime. He always loved the Shirley Hughes stories and poems. More novels please!!

5.0 out of 5 stars bought for a 10 year old, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hero on a Bicycle (Hardcover)
My grandson said this was a good story and he enjoyed it. I think it may have been a bit easy for him as he finished it in a couple of hours! Still sometimes it's good not to be challenged!

Hero on a Bicycle
Hero on a Bicycle by Shirley Hughes (Hardcover - 23 April 2013)
9.41