5.0 out of 5 stars Not so crazy, but oh so sexy health!
Published on 21 Mar. 2011 by Saladgirl

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped....
Published on 7 July 2012 by Lana B

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so crazy, but oh so sexy health!, 21 Mar. 2011
This book is just so worth every penny. Kris is a cancer survivor. Not through Chemo or drugs, but through education and major dietary changes. No I don't have cancer, but the same diet that cures cancer is also... funny this... the same diet that creates a disease free body.. prevention is better than cure obviously and of course it's the diet that makes us feel fantastic. So why am I reading it? Because, we always need inspiration and motivation. It's all too easy when one has no time to whack on the oven fries and chop up a salad and pretend you being half healthy. No so.... a Buddha Bowl (p217) would be a far better option. Therefore, I'm always boning up on the latest health knowledge and trying to mix with people who inspire and motivate me... and I have to say, this book really works. It explains EVERYTHING you need to know from pH to Poo and Green Juices to Gluten. It's not entirely raw, so it will appeal to a lot of people and the diet is very achievable and more importantly sustainable.

Anyway, this book could literally save your life! I love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be mandatory in school, 18 Jun. 2011
This book is so informative on all levels. Kriss gives you science, health and information galor how to live a healthier life. If this was a text book in school, the health crisis the world is experiencing would not exist. We would all feel and be healthier. LOVE this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Read, 7 Jan. 2011
This book is definitely more than just a diet book. There is a lot of information with regard to taking care of yourself, cleansing, food production, animal welfare, exercise, nutrition, and a dose of spirituality. It is really more of a lifestyle overhaul, all backed up by input from experts and contributions from survivors of illness. Those, along with Carr's own story of living with cancer are really the motivating factors for me. It is so blindly obvious from reading this book that what you put into your body has a massive impact on how your body functions and your levels of wellness. It is impossible not to be convinced by Carr - her energy oozes from the pages.

Carr's story is certainly very inspiring. I have not yet signed up to a full 21 day cleanse (I have a nursing baby so probably not sensible for me to go all out juice crazy just at the moment), but elements of the book have definitely crept into my diet and lifestyle. It is making a big difference to my energy levels and general mood. I am juicing most days, eating a lot of good clean food, journaling and looking after me a bit more. I know that I will be adopting more elements from this lifestyle in the future.

I would recommend this book to anyone living with an illness or health issue, and also to anyone who just wants to boost their energy levels and feel cleaner and healthier. Also if you have any interest in veganism or food politics it is probably worth a read - although bear in mind that the author is American so it does not refer to UK food politics. - Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great layout, very informative., 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean it! (Paperback)
This book has a great layout and the information in each section is easy to understand and compelling. Kris Car writes in a very original style which I liked a lot. It is a great balance between information on what certain foods do and constructive ways in which you can change your life.

Very inspirational!

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative....... but beware the writing style and don't let it put you off!!, 20 Feb. 2012
Firstly - this is not a "diet" book in the sense of losing weight, rather a guide and inspiration to looking at what you eat from a nutritional point of view. It also covers other aspects of well-being such as stress, exercise, supplementation, pesticide exposure etc.

Kris Carr is living with cancer and as such radically changed her diet so that she has been in remission for a number of years - so she speaks from experience. The information is well presented and clear - she drags in experts in their field to give the lowdown on various topics.

Although of direct use to people diagnosed and living with cancer - it will be of much use to anyone living with health issues of any variety and to the casual reader with an interest in nutrition and well-being.

The main thrust is that a swing to vegetable based diets can radically change your health for the better - there are several testimonies to this fact - but you don't need to go vegan / vegetarian to benefit from the knowledge in this book and to be fair - Kris also makes that point. What it does do is make you question some of your own eating habits and assumptions about where food comes from and it's use to the body.The important factor is controlling the pH balance of your body - excess acid (from all the usual bad things - white flour, no veg, excess meat etc)leads to an environment in which various illnesses can thrive - increasing your fruit and veg intake redresses the balance and protects the body.

There is a 21 day cleanse programme that will help people starting out -and this covers some surprising things - and some easy things too.

Yes the style is american cheerleader - Rah-Rah-Rah! - and the language (and expletives) can jar ( a body is a "god-pod") - but Kris is what she is and walks her talk; not something that a lot of diet book authors can boast. But try to get beyond it - there is a lot of information in there that just may one day save your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need to read this book, 28 Jun. 2013
Based on sound facts, this is the book you need to change your diet and health. I had already read the wonderful 'Your Life in Your Hands', by Prof Jane Plant, which I highly recommend, and other books on health, and this is very, very, practical. Go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant :), 7 Sept. 2012
Finally got the book after stumbling across the Crazy Sexy Life website, I'm vegetarian looking to improve my lifestyle and diet, and the book is as informative as I expected- it's full of advice and Kris Carr is so inspirational.

Its like a lifestyle guide with sciencey bits!

It reminds you to take care of your mind as well as your body.

Recommended read to anyone, not just vegans/vegetarians, but anyone who wishes to improve themselves and those who wish to get clued up before making the choice to eat certain foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling information and life changing results, 23 July 2012
I have tried many different eating programs: low-fat, Atkins, the Zone, vegetarian, etc., all in the quest for a more healthy lifestyle / way of eating than is offered by the standard western diet. This book easily and simply explains in a very accessible way how different foods work in our body to produce different positive (or negative) effects, and how much more in control of our health we have the capacity to be, once we're armed with the knowledge of how the foods we eat impact our health. The tone is conversational, and it's like having a friend guide you through the maze of food information to give you critical information that you can use to change your life starting tomorrow. I found that this book, along with The China Study, gave me a strong feeling of certainty, that I would be foolish to not follow an eating programme similar to this. The evidence available that it can save your life, and/or extend your lifespan, is very clear and compelling.

I have tried many of the recommendations in the book. The recipes are yummy, the food is easy to make, I learned new things about which foods (and superfoods!) need to take priority on my shopping list, and what self-care rituals will make an impact in my overall health. My skin is looking much better, and all in all I feel much more vital, energized and alive when I eat in this way. Thanks Kris!

If you're looking for an all-encompassing program to live a more healthy life, that explains how food can work just as effectively (or more so), than drugs or supplements, to keep you healthy and even help you overcome disease states, then you've found a winner with this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enlightening, 27 Jan. 2013
This book is very thorough. Kriss dissects the foods we eat regularly and what she reveals is compelling stuff. This is certainly a book that you will read and re-read, making it better value for money than you would originally think. My only complaint is that I was expecting (possibly my fault) more recipes, which are found at the very back of the book, but there are only a few, and a good number of these are just dressings and juices. Another recommendation if Kris is ever looking to improve the book is to include more suggestions about how to find certain products that she recommends, and, think about producing a UK version, as most of the websites promoted for ordering food are American, and therefore unavailable to us Brits. The testimonials at the end of each chapter are very inspiring and give a raw insight into how this way of eating can change your life. I am definitely more conscious of the way I eat and more selective about my foods, although, I feel a vegan way of life is incredibly difficult and limited. I do feel that actually achieving enlightenment would be easier. However, a unique book with an honest tone and a clearly commendable goal of changing how we eat.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped...., 7 July 2012
This review is from: Crazy Sexy Diet (Kindle Edition)
I was really looking forward to reading this book but I have to say I was disappointed. The writing style is EXACTLY the same as that used in 'Skinny Bitch'. It really does make me wonder if Rory Freedman (co-writer of 'Skinny Bitch') was the writing force behind this, co-incidently she wrote the preface. I do wonder if Kris Carr's name, picture and a few of her anecdotes have just been tucked in as she is the poster girl for this particular 'Crazy, Sexy' series. I have not read any of her other books though so I have nothing to compare with.

While I really love 'Skinny Bitch', 'Crazy Sexy Diet' is essentially a re-hash and the harsh tones do really grate after a while. I thought the book would go into more detail on raw foods but it spends more time trying to convert me to a vegan, which I already am! Obviously I think it's a good thing to tell people the reasons behind being vegan but I think the sort of person who is going to buy this book, a fan of Kris Carr, will already be on the vegan bandwagon. Preaching the choir is the thought that kept running through my head.

This book did offer some good advice though, it has a good chapter on green juices and juicing which I found informative, it also goes through the different types of juicers you can buy and why one might be better than another. I wish there had been more of this. I think I will now be looking for a book more specifically about raw food which is what I thought this book would have more information on.

There was also a chapter on meditation which I found quite interesting, something I had not considered before. However, there is a little bit in the middle that starts talking about prayers and God (this part is written by someone else). I wasn't too keen on that, or the fact the body is constantly referred to as a 'God pod'.

Overall, disappointing. If you have read or own a copy of 'Skinny Bitch' I would give this a miss as you've already read the majority of what this book is trying to convey. And as in 'Skinny Bitch', all of the food recommendations and labels are American, none of which I have seen available to buy in the UK.