5.0 out of 5 stars So good...
One of those books you can't put down. Each chapter, of about 5-15 pages is a little story in itself - funny, sad, all moving in some way. I found myself trying to limit the amount I read I enjoyed it so much! A wonderful, simple, uncomplicated and fun book.
Published on 5 Jun 2008 by WH

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm!!
Not as funny as I had hoped for , but did have its moments, I didn't give up and read it to the end but was glad when I finished.
Published 16 months ago by AW

5.0 out of 5 stars So good..., 5 Jun 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars A crazy journey, 3 Nov 2008
A must have for anybody who has ambitions in the guiding industry or simply a love of wildlife. Full of campfire stories written so you never want to put the book down. This book makes you want to rush out and buy a plane ticket to Africa immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of fun, 5 Dec 2008
Judith Evans (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - the author has a good sense of humour and is not afraid to admit when he's done something different or just plain stupid. He seems to have a good feeling for Africa and its wild life.

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing collection of safari guide anecdotes, 23 Mar 2011
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Peter Allison was a 19 year old Australian backpacker when he ended up working in the bar at a safari park in South Africa. After a couple of years he progressed to safari guide and moved to a camp in Botswana. This is a collection of anecdotes over the stream of his career. The kind of stories he might tell sitting around the bush fire at night: The time I almost got eaten by a crocodile. Rude tourists that I have encountered. The time I outfoxed the monkeys who were keeping me awake. The time I stranded my tourist group in a hippo pool. The time we got lost in the Okovanga Delta. And so on. Many of the stories are extremely self-deprecating and I can't help suspect that there's been some embellishment along the way, but that only adds to the entertainment factor.

My initial impression when I started reading was that Allison was rather annoying, but he won me over by the sheer entertainment value of his stories. This is not the best book if you're wanting a serious read about animals and their behaviour, but it will definitely create the urge to head off on safari. A very engaging and amusing collection of stories. Recommended.

While there are some photographs included, I wish there were more - specifically it would be good to include a honey badger and a genet.

If this whets your appetite for similar reads, I recommend Backseat Safari, which is written by a nature photographer working in Southern Africa.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 1 Oct 2009
J. A. Waller (Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this just after a safari in Botswana. It is laid out as a series of short stories. Very amusing and informative and very true to life on safari in Botswana. Good for either preparation or reminiscing for a safari or just a good general read.

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING, 10 Jan 2010
This review is from: Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide (Paperback)
Brilliant book, but please be aware that it is the same as the UK version 'Dont Run, whatever you do'.
Unfortunately, having bought both books for a present, I was unaware of this until I went on to Peter Allison's website. Amazon treats these books as different too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dont Run Whatever you do, 7 Aug 2009
Mr. R. Weaver (Chatham) - See all my reviews
A humerous and delightful and insightful book on the Okavango Swamps.
Good to read if you intend visiting these swamps or need to know about Ranger / tourist life in the swamps. The author is Australian and how he has adjusted to Wild Life and African expierences. Mossies - mice - lions - elephants and drowning Land Rovers .. German tourists and bird watchers.. all make up the fun of the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive read, 14 Sep 2012
Alison Aitken "Ali" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Bought this book when it was on offer and enjoyed it so much bought the next in the series at full price. A great mix of serious, funny and thought provoking. The chapters each tell their own short story and you can't help but read just one more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, enjoyable and easy reading, 17 May 2011
I had been given "don't look behind you" and thoroughly enjoyed it so I purchased this book.
I found it very readable (I read the whole book in a few days). The stories are very variable from sad adn serious, to happy and I was almost crying with laughter at how he got his nickname!
There are photos in it that go with the stories which is why I bought the book rather than the kindle version. I normally like a full book rather than short stories but the author was very witty and has a good sense of humour - normally self humouring and the short story anecdotes were great.
Would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gem of a book/s, 16 Dec 2009
C. Livingston "Jack Jill" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Found this item easily on Amazon when my local book-shop was stumped!! Thank you for a great read.

Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide